Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Backpacking Carry

Quote Originally Posted by S Jenks View Post
    For winter hikes and snowshoeing in the NH White Mountains I’ve found the Ribz Front Pack to work well. The holstered pistol goes in a crossdraw/tanker position with some paracord securing the holster in the pouch, that way once I’ve opened the zipper I can just pull the pistol out and the holster will stay put. The other pouch will hold maps, a few snacks, maybe my cell for photos. My pack then goes on after the Front Pack. I don’t use it in the summer as I’m a sweat hog.

https://ribzwear.com
    I do something similar but with a molle chest panel - the Ribz was sold out when I needed one. I use a Condor modular chest panel (yes I know most hate condor but I don't need super high quality nylon for this application) with an attached pouch where I velcro a holster in place. There is also an integrated map pocket if you wanted it to be super low profile and your pistol was small enough to fit. I really like how I can ride this super low (bottom of panel hits waist area instead of a HPG which rides on sternum. The hip belt keeps it from flopping around and I can adjust the shoulder straps loose enough where it is not tight against my body (but still stable) so that I can get air flow. Basically I have it set up so the top of the setup tilts away from body about an inch with the bottom snug around my waist. Another benefit is that the draw is much easier from the lower position than from a high HPG position. It works well enough for me at the moment. If I didn't do this, I would go fanny pack.
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 09-16-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Hammertime
    I forgot I used the Ribz pack once for a three day outing and was generally quite happy with it for a G26. I sewed in one of the Glock Combat holsters in the interior set up cross draw.

Hammertime
    I don't usually carry a pack without a belt, but yesterday I did 12 miles with just a ruck and shoulder straps.

Surprisingly to me, my usual, daily, AIWB set up worked just fine. No chafing issues at all.

Thanks to all for the encouragement to try it. I will still use the Safepacker when belted.

I started using Maxpedition JK1 for rucking. Seems to work fine when attached to the hip belt of a MR NICE frame. I carry PM9 with a pocket holster, so if needed I can transfer it. The pouch can definitely fit G26. Possibly even 19.
    I experimented with hill people Heavy Recon kitbag. But using that in addition to a pack just adds too much equipment and makes things a bit hot.

I have used an appendix, with a chest rig.

Site Supporter
    I was out for just one night a couple of weeks ago. Normally I carry my G19 in a Hill People Gear kit bag. However, this past trip, the belt on my pack oddly didn't interfere with my regular AIWB carry. I only carried my (not so) full pack for ~4 miles, and then did another ~6 with a REI Flash Pack. The next time I'm out for a night or two, I might leave the kit bag at home. I'm not as convinced as I was that belt carry with a pack is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I use a fanny pack when backpacking. Typically carries within a small handgun (J frame or Walther PPS), stripped down wallet, and car keys. The compartment part sits pretty comfortably and unobtrusively below the buckle of the backpack waist belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    ^^^ This when doing more than a day hike with a day pack. Day hikes=AIWB three seasons of the year and OWB under my outer clothing layer during the winter.

Anything overnight or for multiple days I wear a fanny pack against my body and above the main pack's waist strap. The fanny pack has gun, spare mag, light, multi tool, snacks and a small med kit. It's nice to have those items after dropping the main pack, especially when setting up camp for the night.
    I'm not one to open carry on trails, or the in town for that matter. I also want the gun on me all the time.
    Last edited by iWander; 09-29-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Appendix carry while backpacking doesn't cause sweat to build up? Do you walk at a snail's pace or do you mean that you're drenched from the effort anyway, so it doesn't add to the soaking?

I know when I hike with a daypack, or backpack, having a dry torso is not usual.
    I don't use the waist strap with a day pack and expect to be sweaty everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by krax View Post
    Assuming you're wanting to carry concealed, a fanny pack is a decent way to do it if you're against the chest pack. I like keeping it separate from the pack itself. Fanny pack on first, kinda high, then the pack, then fasten the pack's waist belt under the bag part of the fanny pack. The fanny pack belt should ride just high enough to not get rubbed by the pack or it's belt.
    Exactly!

I have been playing with this concept for a little while and have gone away from any type of chest carry - especially in the hotter months. I just don't like the comfort of it. I like the idea of the fanny pack but I have also attached a pouch to my waist belt which was very comfortable. It's attached though molle webbing but if you don't have molle webbing, it works pretty well by cinching the molle simply around a waist belt (instead of interweaving it directly). I gerry-rigged a holster to stay inside the pouch during the draw stroke. I left the belt loops on the holster so whole package is still a little bulky. For a permanent solution, I would take them off to decrease bulk so my arm isn't rubbing against it during walking. I The pouch wasn't bought for this purpose so it doesn't match color - but you get the point. It just fits a G19.

Name:  IMG_20200808_181128661.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  82.0 KB
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 08-08-2020 at 09:02 PM.

User Tag List