Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Talk me out of a 18.5" large loop Marlin in 30-30 for a good price.

Talk me out of a 18.5" large loop Marlin in 30-30 for a good price.

Title says it all. The other day, I spied with my little eye: a used Marlin 336BL 18.5" carbine in 30-30, with the black/grey laminate furniture.

Someone tell me why this is a bad idea. To start off; I don’t currently hunt. But I do live in WA state, so...

Also, the previous owner was kind enough to mount a Leupold 1-4 on it.

Go, or no-go?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Title says it all. The other day, I spied with my little eye: a used Marlin 336BL 18.5" carbine in 30-30, with the black/grey laminate furniture.

Someone tell me why this is a bad idea. To start off; I don’t currently hunt. But I do live in WA state, so...

Also, the previous owner was kind enough to mount a Leupold 1-4 on it.

Go, or no-go?
    That makes for a sweet setup, maybe check build date for QC. Seems to make a difference from the takeover. Good caliber with a lot of options and can find ammo everywhere.

If the price is indeed a good deal. I say GO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yeah.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    That makes for a sweet setup, maybe check build date for QC. Seems to make a difference from the takeover. Good caliber with a lot of options and can find ammo everywhere.

If the price is indeed a good deal. I say GO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It would make for a handy rifle. I had a 336 tuned and cut down to that length and set it up for 125gr JHP ammo. Accurate and fun to shoot.

The only downside is cutting the barrel shorter than the standard 20" does increase the loudness of the report quite a bit.

I'd do it. If that was the only rifle I owned, I would not feel poorly equipped.

I personally think that while the AR-15 is an optimal defensive rifle, a 30-30 lever gun is a perfectly viable defensive rifle. Every couple months, I do some informal three guns with buddies. They show up with AR-15s. I show up with a lever gun and don't do all that bad until we start hosing an unrealistic number of rounds.

Washington laws are getting weird. I'd buy it.

Those big loops can be a little too big for my tastes, but they are workable.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I’d probably buy it if I lived in WA. You never know what commie nonsense your representatives will pass next. If you end up in a situation where manually operated long guns are the only ones you can own, then it might be nice to already be prepared with a lever action. Plus it would be a 50 state legal firearm in case you plan on traveling.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Since the request is to quench the interest, here are some reasons to keep your powder dry.

1) The latest 336BL is from Freedom Group and quality has been an issue. Investigate as much as you can before proceeding.

2). It is pretty heavy for a short rifle. With the laminate stock and the scope, it probably weighs more than eight pounds. That is more weight than I like to carry on rifles that are carried more than shot.

3). If you do not hunt, a bolt action rifle may be a better choice and allows more caliber choices.

4). I believe that model is blued so the metal will require more care than a stainless model. A bit of Renaissance Wax or a wax without abrasives will protect the metal from the elements.

5). They are like Lay's potato chips. One is not enough, and your bank account balance will suffer.

Site Supporter
    I'm not in a place right now to buy any more guns but man, you should hit it hard.

I ran a lever gun through the Thunder Ranch Urban Rifle and I loved it.

I think the ideal Marlin lever gun is one in 45-70. Lighter than the 30-30, very accurate with factory 300 grain or Garrett hard cast, and packs a wallop.

In 30-30 class, unless the dollars were way off, I would lean towards a CZ bolt:

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-am...pressor-ready/

More accurate, quicker to go from empty to loaded, quicker to reload with the five round magazines, available in more similar calibers, better trigger and stronger.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I had one that the scope mount screws were not in a straight line so a scope could not be mounted. I like the current marlin line up (not the prices) but I would really check it over. I have thought about adding a ranger big loop and brown laminated stocks to one of my old marlins instead of buying a new one

User Tag List