Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: FCC banning FRS combination radios September 30 2019

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "Piss off ham radio operators" is what I heard, thereby strengthening my resolve to impulsively buy
    Not really, but you could have trolled hams with the "FCC Banning Baofeng handhelds". It's an equipment issue similar to the FRS radios, but that didn't stop panic buying among preppers, survivalists, and I'm sure more than a few hams.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Sure having a few around after they’re banned might be kinda handy, but the sustainable alternative will eventually have to come into play.
    The point here is that they aren't banning all FRS radios, so all you would be panic buying is an FRS with a feature you probably won't even notice.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I was just planning on getting a few radios in the near future but was waiting for black friday/cyber monday. Is there something out there I should get before sep 30th? Wasn’t there a pretty decent mbitr clone out there at some point? What’s the Glock 19 of handheld standalone radios?

Baefengs are useful for simplex comms in the boondocks. And having the ability to overlap with FRS / GMRS is excellent.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "Piss off ham radio operators" is what I heard, thereby strengthening my resolve to impulsively buy

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    While I enjoy a good trolling from time to time, especially if it triggers some Cheeto eating dweeb for a couple seconds, I’d legitimately like to hear more about what sorts of interference these radios generate and what the good alternatives are for similar communications.

Sure having a few around after they’re banned might be kinda handy, but the sustainable alternative will eventually have to come into play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The radios are being banned because they don't conform to regulations regarding the bands they can transmit on. The bands are still there and can be used by other radios that are properly type accepted.

There are two main problems IMO.

First, the radios aren't good at filtering noise (internally or externally generated), so you'll get random bursts of static that a better radio right next to it won't exhibit. The audio quality is poor as well. Second, these radios will transmit on frequencies they're not legally allowed to (amateur rigs on FRS freqs for example) or their signal will be wider than the allowable bandwidth for a particular frequency. This translates into interference on adjacent frequencies or on frequencies you have no legal right to be on.

Hams, in all their geekery, are obsessive about putting out clean signals and being copyable even when the signal is weak. These Chinese radios do neither. They're basically high powered walkie-talkies that transmit all over the place.

If you're serious about good comms, there are lots of other options out there. If you don't want to bother with licensing, get MURS or FRS. If you don't mind a small license fee, go with GMRS (same freq band, but different freqs as FRS, but with more power and other features). In all three cases, good gear will be GOOD and cost less than $200/radio (less than $50for FRS). If you want to go full retard, it's easy to get an amateur radio license (the tech license is a low bar and free most of the time). A good amateur handheld, new, will run about $100 if you get a basic 2m radio (Yaesu FT-25R is $70 at www.universal-radio.com). As you add features and bands, it goes up, but a basic 2m rig is cheap. Mine was Yaesu's top of the line in 2008, which was overkill, but it has served me well and lasted 11 years and counting (even the rechargeable battery is still good).

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Baefengs are useful for simplex comms in the boondocks. And having the ability to overlap with FRS / GMRS is excellent.
    Until you can't hear you buddy one ridge over because your Baofeng is deaf as a post. Also, the overlap with FRS/GMRS is exactly why they are being banned. That is a no-no. Each (FRS/GMRS/Amateur) have separate and distinct rules. For example, FRS is limited to low power (less than 1.5w IIRC and cannot have a removable antenna, but doesn't require a license. GMRS requires a multi-year license of nominal cost, but allows for higher power (5w IIRC), removable antennas, and base stations in addition to handhelds. Both frequencies are limited to the 4xxMhz band (don't recall the exact) but operate on different frequencies as channels. Amateur radio, at the technician level, allows broad access to 2m (134mhz) and 70cm (440mhz) bands via handhelds as well as others if you move to mobile or base station equipment (no regulatory limit to those bands on handhelds, it's a suitability issue). You're also less limited on power and can have upwards of hundreds of watts in a radio (my 2m mobile runs 70w, allowing for point-to-point comms over multiple miles with a good antenna).

Sorry, long geeky response to a simple statement, but I think a lot of people misunderstand the design parameters of the Chinese radios and how they flout the laws. Those laws help prevent widespread interference with other users of the same spectrum space.

FWIW, a couple hunting buddies have Baofengs, so in addition to the one I owned for all of a week, I have experienced their limitations firsthand. In the case of one guy, the radio's issues drove him to buy an entry level Yaesu.

Chris

Of course as a HAM General licensee, I would never do anything against the rules...

I do agree that a Yaesu is head and shoulders above even a good Baofeng. I love my VX-8DR (which might have a teeny little frequency-limiting jumper clipped)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-11-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post

The radios are being banned because they don't conform to regulations regarding the bands they can transmit on. The bands are still there and can be used by other radios that are properly type accepted.

There are two main problems IMO.

First, the radios aren't good at filtering noise (internally or externally generated), so you'll get random bursts of static that a better radio right next to it won't exhibit. The audio quality is poor as well. Second, these radios will transmit on frequencies they're not legally allowed to (amateur rigs on FRS freqs for example) or their signal will be wider than the allowable bandwidth for a particular frequency. This translates into interference on adjacent frequencies or on frequencies you have no legal right to be on.

Hams, in all their geekery, are obsessive about putting out clean signals and being copyable even when the signal is weak. These Chinese radios do neither. They're basically high powered walkie-talkies that transmit all over the place.

If you're serious about good comms, there are lots of other options out there. If you don't want to bother with licensing, get MURS or FRS. If you don't mind a small license fee, go with GMRS (same freq band, but different freqs as FRS, but with more power and other features). In all three cases, good gear will be GOOD and cost less than $200/radio (less than $50for FRS). If you want to go full retard, it's easy to get an amateur radio license (the tech license is a low bar and free most of the time). A good amateur handheld, new, will run about $100 if you get a basic 2m radio (Yaesu FT-25R is $70 at www.universal-radio.com). As you add features and bands, it goes up, but a basic 2m rig is cheap. Mine was Yaesu's top of the line in 2008, which was overkill, but it has served me well and lasted 11 years and counting (even the rechargeable battery is still good).

Chris
    Mtnbkr
    Thanks for the link to universal radio, I bought one of the Yaesu25R’s for the money,that seems to be a inexpensive way for me to dip my toes in the water..I’ve actually been to Universal Radio’s store, I bought a Uniden BCD 436HP scanner a few years ago from them, and have had no problems with it. I can say when I was shopping for a nice shortwave receiver, I never read anything good about Baofangs..I ended up getting a Kenwood R-2000, at an auction for about $100, I blew the dust out with a air duster and made a couple of minor adjustments to it, and it works fine, it also came with a optional VHF receiver that slid into the back of the unit. It’s my understanding that these VHF units are very hard to find.

UV5R and F8HP performance isn't as clean or uniform as some others, but it can be functional to good. Especially for the price point.
    In a given case of 2-3 dozen, anticipate some variability in performance. And different firmware versions.
    Swapping the OEM antenna for better helps a lot, try the Nagoya 701, 701C, or 771.
    Battery charge, regulation/overall quality affects performance. Play with charge levels, swap them around, or discard and try new.
    Using a speaker mic seems to help some radios.
    Opening up the mic port on the case helps most.
    A setting in the programming may not have the same value from radio to radio. Experiment.
    Last edited by ST911; 09-11-2019 at 10:07 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Got mine today. I suppose that I need to learn how to program them. Is this the antenna I seek for them?
    #RESIST

The OEM antenna is fine. I tried the one you linked and it did nothing helpful. I like a stubby for short range comms.

NSKI SRH805S SMA-F Female Dual Band Antenna for Baofeng GT-3 UV-5R BF-888s Radio https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014H8E1RS/

User Tag List