Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: FCC banning FRS combination radios September 30 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I have zero knowledge in this arena.

2 questions; one, am I gonna regret not jumping in during the next week before the ban comes down?

Two, these radios on Amazon: go, or no-go?
    If you're not planning to get an amateur radio license, don't bother.
    If you are getting an amateur radio license, these radios are OK, unless you get a lab to put them on test equipment; like I said, they're cheap enough to have a few spares around that I won't cry if they get lost or broken.

If all you want is FRS, there are inexpensive models that do just as well without being in violation of Federal regulations (i.e., FRS are limited in power output, cannot have removable antennas.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

One day left...
    #RESIST

I'd be willing to bet these will still be available on Amazon until they're put of stock. I could be wrong. We've been joking about FCC SWAT Teams coming for our ChiCom handhelds for a while now...

I was net control for our club net tonight. I wasn't planning on it, but I wound up using my BaoFeng UV5R, which worked just fine. it is quite possible that someone monitoring with an o-scope would have been able to analyze what was wrong with my signal -- and a bunch of the other participants, as well -- but to the human ear my signal -- and the other participants! -- was fine.

(Knew some old ASA guys that could ID which Warsaw Pact radio was being used by the shape of the spike on the oscilloscope. I never got that good, but even without putting on the headphones and listening you could easily tell a USGI or ROK radio from a nork by the shape displayed.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    The most recent Primary and Secondary podcast had some good radio content. It's the "open mic" episode.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Baofeng UV5R's still selling on Amazon with next day delivery.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    One day left...
    I bought primers instead.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

A few points on this thread:

1) Keep in mind that the Baofengs are the Highpoint carbine of the radio world. I bought one for evaluation (why not for $25), and in addition to the previously mention with the quality of both the receiver and the transmitter, the build quality strikes me as dubious and unlikely to hold up to serious use.

2) There is no legal use for these radios if you don't have an amateur license. They are not legal for FRS, GMRS, or MURS. They are only legal for amateur use. Yes, it is true than in an emergency you can transmit on any frequency, but that means you are sending an actual Mayday call because life or property is in danger. It does not mean you can use any frequency you want just because your cell phone doesn't work.

3) A handheld radio is of very limited use without a repeater. No matter what it says on the package, they are basically just line of sight. If you add a repeater, then you can talk to others within range of the repeater, which can easily be a whole metro area. A Technician license gives you free access to a whole lot of repeaters. Try using one of those repeaters without a license, and some annoyed hams will track you down and rat you out. After all, it's their repeater that they pay for.

4) If you don't want to get an amateur license, your best bet is to either a) buy some legal FRS or GMRS units and be happy with the very limited capability they give you, or b)buy some legal MURS units, which will be much more robust. I am currently testing some Motorola RMM2050 units for a particular application, and so far they look good to go. MURS will still only give you very limited range.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF. View Post
    1) Keep in mind that the Baofengs are the Highpoint carbine of the radio world.
    I agree with your post, except this bit. My BF's Tx/Rx just fine (as well as my Alinco and others Yaesu's), don't bother neighboring freqs (that anyone has ever complained about) and have way better battery life. And lots more options for reasonably priced doo-dads... External Mic's, bigger batteries, ear buds, etc. .. For the price of a $10 cable (if not already included) they can be programmed for free using CHIRP... You can even buy a water resistant version for about $40, although the doo-dads for that one are less plentiful.

I would trust my BF's to work as advertised in an emergency. Notsomuch the Highpoint.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I agree with your post, except this bit. My BF's Tx/Rx just fine (as well as my Alinco and others Yaesu's), don't bother neighboring freqs (that anyone has ever complained about) and have way better battery life. And lots more options for reasonably priced doo-dads... External Mic's, bigger batteries, ear buds, etc. .. For the price of a $10 cable (if not already included) they can be programmed for free using CHIRP... You can even buy a water resistant version for about $40, although the doo-dads for that one are less plentiful.

I would trust my BF's to work as advertised in an emergency. Notsomuch the Highpoint.
    Well, I am comparing the radio against public-safety type radios or even a basic Yaesu HT. The BF might work under ideal conditions, but it is not waterproof, and it does not appear built to take much in the way of abuse in the field. I have limited experience with it, though. I have always used Yaesus or Motorolas when carrying them in the woods and such. YMMV.

FCC banning FRS combination radios September 30 2019

A buddy’s Yaesu VX-8 survived with no damage after falling out his car window at 60 mph and bouncing down the highway. I’m guessing a BF would have been in tiny pieces. But I’ve used my BFs reasonably hard and they all still work. I like my VX-8 better of course, but I only have one.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-02-2019 at 02:16 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List