Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: FCC banning FRS combination radios September 30 2019

I’ve noticed a few of these going up in price on Amazon, but since they aren’t legal for FRS, maybe the surge in people buying them will increase people’s interest in HAM, which is somewhat of a dying art. I never had any interest in these, but now I am more interested in increasing my HAM skills. I guess that’s a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sue why I didn't see this thread until now...

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    For the uninformed, what's the use case and why is it being banned?
    As explained upthread, they are being banned because they do not comply with government regulations.

Licensed hams have always been encouraged to tinker around with their gear, and when the cheapest handheld cost over a hundred bucks and required some electronics knowledge to modify, no one (including our favorite rich uncle) cared if you messed around with operating frequencies, as long as you didn't operate where you needed special permission or licensing to operate.

When it became trivial to buy a radio of marginal quality and dubious consistency for a little over a Tubman, the FCC started taking an interest.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    "Piss off ham radio operators" is what I heard, thereby strengthening my resolve to impulsively buy
    Many if not most of us have one or two; for the price, it becomes practical to have a couple of cheap spares to throw in the go kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    I’ve noticed a few of these going up in price on Amazon, but since they aren’t legal for FRS, maybe the surge in people buying them will increase people’s interest in HAM, which is somewhat of a dying art.
    Maybe in your neighborhood, not around here.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I just want these for use if we have another event where our cell networks shut down or get overloaded. What cable do I need?
    PF.Com Amateur Radio Thread

For licensing/training I like HamStudy.org: Cutting edge amateur radio study tools. Got me through my Amateur Extra exam, and the YL maxed her technician exam using it.

Look for accessories here: Accessories, Nagoya Antennas - BaoFeng

I replaced the OEM "rubber ducky" antennae on our UV5s with the Nagoya after-market jobs, and they seem to work better, a although with the BaoFengs you often can't even get the same technical performance from two successive transmissions on the same unit.
    Whether you use the OEM antenna or not, I do recommend picking up one of the AA battery packs, and maybe the automotive 12V DC adapter as well.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Naturally when I read this, I immediately bought two of what's to be banned and then ran to tell you guys Because they're banning them, I bought them.

Announcement
    Hmmm.
    Date of announcement: August 29, 2017, effective date: September 28, 2017. So they've actually been fairly patient waiting for the ChiComs to comply...

Interestingly enough, before this Report and Order was published, there were strong rumors flying around that the GMRS service was going away altogether.

Anyway, here is the paragraph explaining why these are banned:
    11. To prevent the creep of FRS combination radios into other licensed services, the part 95 R&O adopted a rule forbidding the certification of FRS devices that incorporate GMRS capabilities, as well as other services, other than part 15 unlicensed applications. Operation of FRS units is licensed by rule and they are marketed to and intended to be used by the general public as a simple and inexpensive communications solution. Because FRS units are intended to be operated by anyone, even young children, it is unrealistic to expect FRS users to know the channel assignments and operating procedures for other radio services. Further, because of the open eligibility to operate FRS devices, many businesses use the devices in their warehouses, retail stores and other locations, so widespread use of devices with capabilities to operate in licensed and safety related services could result in unintentional interference to safety communications. Therefore, the Commission amended the FRS equipment authorization rules to limit the technical capabilities of FRS units, especially the channels on which they are capable of transmitting with the exception for part 15 unlicensed devices to continue to allow the incorporation of part 15 features such as WI-FI and Bluetooth headsets into FRS devices. This action removes the confusion of whether a purchaser needs a license or meets eligibility requirements to operate devices in this band because they will be classified as either FRS or a different service, not under both services.
    (emphasis added.)
    Last edited by Drang; 09-22-2019 at 02:33 AM.
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Took the Technician Exam today, after studying pretty hard, and taking practice exams on the ARRL site..It all paid off, I passed with flying colors....I missed one question. Considering I have NO electrical background at all, I consider this a major win..

I have zero knowledge in this arena.

2 questions; one, am I gonna regret not jumping in during the next week before the ban comes down?

Two, these radios on Amazon: go, or no-go?
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

2 questions; one, am I gonna regret not jumping in during the next week before the ban comes down?

I have 3 Wouxun KGUV-6d that were bought on Amazon. So far I have not been able to get them to work at over 500 yards even with line of sight. Could be that I just don’t know how to use them, but I am feeling pretty screwed at this point.

Well, the Baofangs in question are not the best out there, basically, you get what you pay for.. They’re pretty much disposable. Myself I went with a Yatesu FT-25, it’s a good radio, a lot higher quality, but you need a Technicians license to operate it.. Like you,I have little in the way of a radio, or electrical background, and yet with a little studying with a $20 course sent to my kindle from hamradioschool.com and taking practice exams from the ARRL site, I managed to pass the exam, missing only one question. The exams are made up of 35 questions, and you have to score 74% to pass, that means you can miss 6 questions. The license is good for 10years. After which, you can simply renew. You don’t have to test again, unless you want to go to a higher license class. Altogether, with the cost of the radio, including shipping, the cost of the exam, and the cost of the licensing course sent to my kindle, I have about $120 wrapped up in this, pretty cheap considering this little radio can do alot, and could easily come in pretty handy in a emergency.
    Last edited by ralph; 09-22-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Site Supporter

IMO, the only reason why a licensed HAM needs access to transmit on the disputed FRS channels is in an emergency where others only have access to FRS radios. If you have a non infringing ham handset, many can listen to FRS, so all you miss is the ability to transmit.

In 5 years of HAM/CERT/RACES experience, I have never had that need. YMMV
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I have 4, and use them quite a bit.

All of mine have been fine, as have several buddys’ Baofengs.

They are a good low cost option.

If you want to carry two radios (FRS and HAM) to comply then you don’t need one.

If all you use is FRS, you don’t need one.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List