Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: FCC banning FRS combination radios September 30 2019

Site Supporter
    The new hotness among my local group are the Yaesu FT 2's and now 3's (digital).
    For that kind of coin, I'm buying more guns and a Baofeng.

I have a FTM-100DR that I built into a Pelican case as a go-kit. It runs on AC at home, 12V in the car and battery in the field. Uncable it, move it, plug it in. I'm not as into the nuances of HAM as many others. I use it in my volunteer work, it's more functional than a passion or even a hobby for me. I occasionally have reason to communicate on the trunked city EMS channels here. Makes me uncomfortable every time. Like I'm doing something I'm not supposed to be doing.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So is it illegal to sell existing personally owned radios? Is this just a restriction on their usage?

Quote Originally Posted by MattF. View Post
    A few points on this thread:

1) Keep in mind that the Baofengs are the Highpoint carbine of the radio world. I bought one for evaluation (why not for $25), and in addition to the previously mention with the quality of both the receiver and the transmitter, the build quality strikes me as dubious and unlikely to hold up to serious use.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattF. View Post
    Well, I am comparing the radio against public-safety type radios or even a basic Yaesu HT. The BF might work under ideal conditions, but it is not waterproof, and it does not appear built to take much in the way of abuse in the field. I have limited experience with it, though. I have always used Yaesus or Motorolas when carrying them in the woods and such. YMMV.
    Some UV5Rs and BF-F8HPs have been quite durable, substantially beyond expectations and their price point. Public safety, private, urban and rural use.
    Last edited by ST911; 10-06-2019 at 05:46 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

I got a Uv5r and I’m happy with it so far. I have a technician license right now but I’m studying for general and once I get that I’ll prepare for extra.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    So is it illegal to sell existing personally owned radios?

No.

Is this just a restriction on their usage?

Yes -- sort of.
    Explanation of last answer: Using these radios on frequencies they weren't certified to be use don was always illegal, unless life or safety were directly threatened AND there was no legal alternative.
    The FCC is simply reacting to the ready supply of cheap radios by attempting to ban their import -- it wasn't a big deal if someone with a license had a $200 radio that they modified to operate out of band, as long as they didn't do it.
    Now any 16 year old with two Tubmans and an internet connection can order one from Amazon, which makes enforcement a lot more complicated.

By the way, I am currently taking the ARRL EC-001 course, and they cite a case in which a ham modified his HT or mobile rig to operate on local public safety frequencies, he witnessed an accident and used it to call it in, and was cited, prosecuted, and found guilty by the local authorities for interfering with public safety operations. The FCC said he did nothing wrong, but the local prosecutor disagreed.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Osmond View Post
    No bueno! What was his punishment?
    I'll check when I get a chance, but I don't recall that they gave any details beyond that it happened.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    .I have a FTM-100DR that I built into a Pelican case as a go-kit. It runs on AC at home, 12V in the car and battery in the field. Uncable it, move it, plug it in.
    I am intrigued by this and would like to subscribe to your newsletter...

Homebrew? Source for parts and/or plans? Pics?
    Glenn Reynolds

So the Yugo of amateur radio is a lightning Deal on Amazon today.

$32.99 down from $35.

The spare battery and after market antenna are good additions. The CD with programming software is probably superfluous, Chirp! works just fine, for free. (But the programming cable is good.)
    Last edited by Drang; 11-12-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    Glenn Reynolds

These are on sale at Amazon, $18.58

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Kinda related...

Yesterday was the Virginia Summits On The Air QSO* Party. A buddy and I hiked up Waonaze Peak in Edinburg Gap and operated primarily on 2m (same freq supported by the little Baofeng above). I had contacts to other summits in Virginia at 29, 40, and 51 miles away via a 5w 2m HT. For two of those contacts, I was using a higher gain antenna hanging from a tree branch 15' in the air (yay slingshots), but the 51 mile contact was with me using the HT's rubber duck antenna. The other guy I contacted was using a 5w radio, but with a directional beam antenna (much more gain).

I switched over to HF for the rest of the day, but the little HTs can get the job done with the right support gear.

*QSO being radio Q-code shorthand for "conversation".

Chris

User Tag List