Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old school shells

old school shells

Here's some old school shotgun tech for you:

These are Red Head 16ga #4 magnum bird shot. They are paper hulled with cardboard holding in the payload. I believe Red Head was a store brand of Montgomery Ward.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Very cool. I've got an ammo can full of paper hulled 16ga that came as part of a deal.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

They were really cool, until they got really damp. Then, not so much.

I got a few similar too.

My dad once got a deal on some new cheap shells from Mexico back in the '70s. About half of them came out on fire as they evidently didn't use a retardant on them. Every time he shoot a dove he'd have to stomp the fire out before retrieving the bird. He got razzed a lot over those.

Site Supporter
    I love old paper shells. The fine printing on the paper, the patterns in the metal head, they way they smell after firing... There was a lot more art back then, even though the utilitarian plastic shells we have now are a lot better. This is a display I have on my reloading bench, housed in a type drawer.

Paper shells definitely smell different, much better than plastic shells. Dad shot tons of trap and skeet when i was a kid. When he got back into shooting in the 90s, hed sometimes get some of the Federal target loads with paper shells, the smell took me back to being a kid again, like a time machine. They are worth tracking some down if you havent had the experience.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Shoot one from a DU and video it in slow-mo when the shells pop out and post it here so I can smell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Shoot one from a DU and video it in slow-mo when the shells pop out and post it here so I can smell it.

Ill see what I can do. I think theres a couple boxes of them in dads stuff.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-12-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I broke open my stash.

Does anyone know if the Remington 16GA are paper? I suspect plastic since they have a ribbed surface and the box says "wetproof", but they have that same "sheen look" as the paper hull 12GA shown in the other open box in the pic. Those were just random loose rounds I put in that Winchester box that states "all new plastic".

Guess I'm going to have to break out Grandpa's 16 and find out...

Name:  IMG_5913.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  81.0 KB
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 09-18-2019 at 04:21 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    I broke open my stash.

Does anyone know if the Remington 16GA are paper? I suspect plastic since they have a ribbed surface and the box says "wetproof", but they have that same "sheen look" as the paper hull 12GA shown in the other open box in the pic. Those were just random loose rounds I put in that Winchester box that states "all new plastic".
    To me the 16 GA look like paper, by the appearance and the fact that I’ve never seen those paper/wax end seals on plastic shells. I have paper shells that are ribbed like that. But who knows what they did in the transition years.

“Wetproof” may just be heavily waxed. I have a Herter’s shell heater I inherited from my Grandfather. It is an electrically heated aluminum mandril that you slide the fired shell over and it forces the wax to the outside of the paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    Guess I'm going to have to break out Grandpa's 16 and find out...
    Do it for Science...

User Tag List