Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Colt Halts Production of Long Guns for the Retail Market

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Ferret Firearms? (We don't need no stinking badgers.)

Just my opinion but: THE WINNER AND STILL CHAMPION!!!! My only regret is I was reading this thread while eating and drinking. Damn you, blues.
    Last edited by 11B10; 09-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Time for us both to hoof it on out of here. (And stop blaming me for your addiction. )
    Whoa there!!

Wild horses couldn't drag me away from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    I called them and tried to get a barrel or upper in .308 for the CM6.5 I have. Barrel is proprietary. I was told I can't get one unless its through grey market and was told they will not be making any no date when. Yeah you can see it however you want but I'm sitting around with something with proprietary parts I can get a replacement barrel for which is bad for something in 6.5CM. Pretty much, "no soup for you." I think you have some fair points but I'll just have to disagree with you since I'm the one who talked to them and have stuff sitting around I paid for with blood to have and can't get parts for.
    Not singling you out here but I think this happens all the time when mfg's start building exotic variations. If I understand this correctly you have a 6.5 CM AR-10. How many parts did Colt have to modify to get a 6.5 CM to work in an AR-10 platform? Sounds like just about everything. The world of AR-10's looks to be a minefield of proprietary parts.

I was at the range the other day and a guy had an AR-10 that wouldn't feed new LC ammo. He said he had the rifle custom built, about 5K. He was pretty pissed off. He blamed the FTF's on the ammo and gave me about 15 rds. I checked it for spec at home with a micrometer and there was nothing wrong with the ammo. Probably a mag issue.

I don't think I've ever seen that with an AR-15. Maybe because most mfg's clone the Colt M4.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-21-2019 at 10:58 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

So, I guess we are all beating a dead horse?

I'd still buy a LE901 if I could find one for around $1500, even if it is a proprietary AR10'ish rifle with little hope for spare parts availability.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Dang, I was hopeful this pun-fest would continue.

But, yes, I have owned and used COLT AR rifles for a very, very long time. Top-notch products. I feel sorry for the Colt line workers who are turning out truly quality, rugged, reliable products and have to endure complete and total incompetence at the senior-management level which has utterly failed to innovate. That's on them, not on the guys doing the actual work.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Not singling you out here but I think this happens all the time when mfg's start building exotic variations. If I understand this correctly you have a 6.5 CM AR-10. How many parts did Colt have to modify to get a 6.5 CM to work in an AR-10 platform? Sounds like just about everything. The world of AR-10's looks to be a minefield of proprietary parts.
    Correct on the 6.5CM, I'm not sure how much they've modified/scaled up or if they completely redesigned most of the guns. It really is a mine field unless it's DPMS pattern. Really, I knew better buying the rifle but was so impressed with the one I shot I had to buy one. It's a real joy to shoot and just over 2500 rounds into it the gun is much more accurate than I thought was possible without stepping up to big money. I picked it up with transfer for just a hair over $1300 and it is an incredible product/value for the money. I think the CM762 is just as good in .308 at least what I've experienced. Really all my gripe is just about getting an extra barrel for when I need it. I don't think I'll ever break anything on the gun but could burn that 6.5 barrel in a hurry. I will be slowing down on it's usage, I really hope Colt starts to trickle parts or uppers out for them or at least let me send it in for a rebarrel if needed. It's good if all this is a move to stay a float though. A sport business will change to meet market demand, I don't know which way it is one or the other political or whatever but I do hope it's just what they state it to be. I'm trying to be reasonable and there have been some solid points on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Correct on the 6.5CM, I'm not sure how much they've modified/scaled up or if they completely redesigned most of the guns. It really is a mine field unless it's DPMS pattern. Really, I knew better buying the rifle but was so impressed with the one I shot I had to buy one. It's a real joy to shoot and just over 2500 rounds into it the gun is much more accurate than I thought was possible without stepping up to big money. I picked it up with transfer for just a hair over $1300 and it is an incredible product/value for the money. I think the CM762 is just as good in .308 at least what I've experienced. Really all my gripe is just about getting an extra barrel for when I need it. I don't think I'll ever break anything on the gun but could burn that 6.5 barrel in a hurry. I will be slowing down on it's usage, I really hope Colt starts to trickle parts or uppers out for them or at least let me send it in for a rebarrel if needed. It's good if all this is a move to stay a float though. A sport business will change to meet market demand, I don't know which way it is one or the other political or whatever but I do hope it's just what they state it to be. I'm trying to be reasonable and there have been some solid points on here.
    Roger that. I've been stymied by Colt before but if you wait long enough they generally come thru. Good luck.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Roger that. I've been stymied by Colt before but if you wait long enough they generally come thru. Good luck.
    Much appreciated I think you are right on just holding out. They've managed to be around for a heck of a long time and dumping stuff post haste over impressions is just stupid. I'm just glad there are some voices of reason to pull me back.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Honestly, this is a perfect example of bad management.

Colt didn’t need to say shit. Ever.

When RSR or whoever called to order they should have said, “Cool, we’re X-months out right now. Bear with us.”

/End

When this email went out they should have said, “We have 180-days of rifle inventory available for Civilian sales. Colt remains committed to serving all of our customers.”

Don’t talk fucking logistics openly. Stop running your fucking mouths you idiots.

If I were running Colt I would have fired every fucking person involved with this. From the sales guy to the PR person. No one talks fucking logistics, manufacturing, sales, money, no one fucking talks about our business to anyone outside of our business.

Now that Colt has stepped in it. They should need to burn off the shit stink. They should do a run of 901s in 6.5 CM - something that no one can really construe as a LE/MIL weapon and send them out.
    The more I thought about this, the more I came around to this conclusion.

Honestly, it's hard for me to be bothered about this one. I'd be more PO'ed if Centurion, KAC, or SOLGW rifles became unavailable . . . those I'd actually feel upset about.
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 09-21-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

User Tag List