Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Halts Production of Long Guns for the Retail Market

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    And you’d be wrong if you think you know, any more than RSR does, as to what Colt has in the works.

Someone at RSR got a little carried away, TTAG ran with it, and now the internet is ablaze with political yammering.

I’d suggest that ‘pursuing’ military contracts doesn’t exactly mean what you’re taking it to mean, and...well, that this is simply *not* a big deal.
    The exact words in the release were "regaining" military contracts, which seems to indicate that they don't actually have them yet.

Please explain how ceasing civilian sales helps them regain those contracts.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Didn't Colt do the same thing in 1989?

And hasn't their management made it very plain they geared their rifle business toward large military contracts vs private distributors? Cited as one of the reasons leading to bankruptcy?

Who's surprised?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

And you’d be wrong if you think you know, any more than RSR does, as to what Colt has in the works.
    Based on Colt's performance over the last two decades, whatever they have in the works is fucked up. How they've remained this long is a mystery to me.

I’d suggest that ‘pursuing’ military contracts doesn’t exactly mean what you’re taking it to mean, and...well, that this is simply *not* a big deal.
    The talk is all about banning weapons of war, and then Colt stops selling AR15s. 2+2=4, amigo. Even if their intentions were pure, they just handed anti-gunners a PR win we can ill afford. So, yeah, fuck Colt.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Fake news according to what I have seen on another board.

Apparently a sales rep, or someone in a similar position, heard that Colt was planning to curtail civilian shipments in an effort to fulfill some outstanding government contracts. This person overreacted and sent out an email.

Even if true it doesn't really change anything. Colt's not the only game in town anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Fake news according to what I have seen on another board.

Apparently a sales rep, or someone in a similar position, heard that Colt was planning to curtail civilian shipments in an effort to fulfill some outstanding government contracts. This person overreacted and sent out an email.

Even if true it doesn't really change anything. Colt's not the only game in town anymore.
    I hope that is actually the case.

My frustration with Colt over the past decade has been inconsistent quantity of AR15s available to civilians.

I do find it hard to believe that Colt is kowtowing to completely unknown/non-existent regulations. Particularly, when they have just spun up and sold a bunch of guns to legally armed citizens in the form of the new Cobra series of guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I do find it hard to believe that Colt is kowtowing to completely unknown/non-existent regulations. Particularly, when they have just spun up and sold a bunch of guns to legally armed citizens in the form of the new Cobra series of guns.
    If it is true I think a more likely explanation is little to no profit margin in a soft market. Their prices and sales are down and they are competing against glut of cheap guns.

If Colt prices go up at this point it’ll be retailers, not the wholesalers or Colt that will see the extra profit.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    That is contrary to the link in the original post. Do you have other information?
    It's really not.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Didn't Colt do the same thing in 1989?

And hasn't their management made it very plain they geared their rifle business toward large military contracts vs private distributors? Cited as one of the reasons leading to bankruptcy?

Who's surprised?
    QFT
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Firearms distributer RSR Group has sent an email blast to their retail customers announcing that Colt will no longer produce long guns for the retail market.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/co...retail-market/
    Well, guess I'm no longer interested in any of the iterations of the Colt Cobra.

They are free not sell some of their legal products to civilians. I'm free to not buy any of their crap. So Colt has saved me money. I'll look for a newish Model 66 and do what @03RN did to his.
    Last edited by Stephanie B; 09-11-2019 at 05:25 PM.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by HCountyGuy View Post
    I’ve been putting off getting a 6920, might have to explain to the wife it’s more of an urgency.

In the event 6920s become ridiculously expensive, what’s a viable alternative in the same price range?
    https://www.centurionarms.com

User Tag List