Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Halts Production of Long Guns for the Retail Market

So where does it say anywhere from Colt that this is a political move?

Or, for that matter, any word from Colt on this at all?

I’m not saying there isn’t, I just seem to have missed it if there is.

When Bill Roger sold us out for ten round mag limits (which isn’t really the whole story but whatever) at least he admitted it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    So where does it say anywhere from Colt that this is a political move?

Or, for that matter, any word from Colt on this at all?

I’m not saying there isn’t, I just seem to have missed it if there is.

When Bill Roger sold us out for ten round mag limits (which isn’t really the whole story but whatever) at least he admitted it.
    @Tokarev posted the statement TTAG got from Colt. They’re stepping back from commercial long guns for the time being and they’re sitting on 110 days worth of inventory. Current manufacturing will shift to 1911s and revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Amp View Post
    Firearms distributer RSR Group has sent an email blast to their retail customers announcing that Colt will no longer produce long guns for the retail market.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/co...retail-market/
    They just never learn that no matter how you try to appease the SJWs, they'll never be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by paherne View Post
    They just never learn that no matter how you try to appease the SJWs, they'll never be satisfied.
    When the police and citizenry are fully disarmed, and armed criminals roam the streets and carry out their misdeeds at will, then they can sit back with a smug smile and say they've accomplished their goals and that the criminals they've championed will never come after them, after all they gave them back the right to vote while they were in prison.

And then it will no longer be "the barbarians are at the gate"...
    Last edited by blues; 09-12-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

It seems to me Colt isn't really a yuge player in the AR or 1911 market anymore. Why all the gnashing of teeth?

Jeezus, is it true you can't keep a Colt rifle running with parts from another manufacturer? I thought the modularity of the rifle was it's strong suit, at least that's what I've heard. I've also heard that Mil Spec is way overblown and really doesn't mean that much when it comes to the civilian market. DOD does Mil Spec on damn near everything they buy but a civilian has a lot more options if they want.

Or is it like Chevys where everyone wants OEM parts. I don't get it. Maybe somebody could elaborate on that.

I buy Colt 1911's but I couldn't care less if it has a Colt or Ed Brown barrel. As a matter of fact Brownells is showing out-of-stock for all Colt Gov't model barrels. That tells me they aren't in the parts business. Somebody other than Colt is probably making their parts anyway.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    @Tokarev posted the statement TTAG got from Colt. They’re stepping back from commercial long guns for the time being and they’re sitting on 110 days worth of inventory. Current manufacturing will shift to 1911s and revolvers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah, but that's still 2nd or 3rd hand. I'd like to see something direct from them, particularly as regards motive.

@Borderland, true statement. For me the main aggravation stems from not being able to get OEM parts for a proprietary gun, eg CM762 in 6.5CM, needing/wanting a 308 barrel. In addition its jus a kick to the balls when mfg's just up and decide to stop supporting products you paid for whether it be political or not. But you have a very fair point with most all of their other products being repaired with parts from any mfg in the industry.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-12-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Jeezus, is it true you can't keep a Colt rifle running with parts from another manufacturer?
    No, it's not. The real Colt rifles like the 6920 run nicely out of the box and you can usually find a spare shot-peened, MP inspected bolt from them without too much trouble if you need to replace one. (or to replace the spare you should always keep on hand)

I've also heard that Mil Spec is way overblown and really doesn't mean that much when it comes to the civilian market.
    Milspec is just a spec. It's by no means the ultimate spec for all purposes. It is, however, in its truest sense a specification that ensures a useful level of durability and reliability in the resulting weapon. The 6920 is a good default recommendation because it is built as good as an M4, which is nice when you are looking for a reliable weapon for duty or defense.

The term "milspec" itself has been bastardized past all reasonable limits in the market so it's impossible to tell anything by the fact that a manufacturer claims that something is "milspec". It got bastardized in the first place because the public was looking for shorthand ways of finding an AR15 that will actually function reliably out of the box and offer a reasonable service life in a sea of seemingly identical rifles.

Just like how the 1911 being produced by a bunch of different companies resulted in "which 1911?" discussions, the multiplied manufacture of Stoner's design by various companies who all had a different interpretation of the spec and the quality control resulted in unequal results.

The cheap end of the market is way better than it was 20 years ago, and there are plenty of improvements over the military specification available out there. Still, for most people who don't have a specialized purpose in mind for the gun (a precision gun, a hunting gun, etc) and want a good general purpose defensive carbine the true military spec is a nice shorthand way of getting a rifle where you can fettle with the add-on accessories without having to worry about whether or not the rifle is going to function or shoot accurately.

Somebody other than Colt is probably making their parts anyway.
    If you are talking about the major components like bolts, barrels, carriers, and receivers, Colt is absolutely manufacturing their own. I would assume they are buying some of the polymer parts they install on guns from someone else, but they most certainly make the core of the weapon themselves.

Shitloads of other AR manufacturers past and present are putting their name on something produced by someone else, although if the end result is quality I couldn't care less.

People who pay lots of attention to this stuff understand the market. Casual shoppers do not...and are not inclined to piece and part together rifles. The build junkies out there already know their shit and will do whatever they do anyway.

But if you peruse enough gun forums you will inevitably see multiple instances of "What's the Glock 19 of the AR world?" kinds of threads because that's usually where somebody who is willing to research a purchase starts.
    3/15/2016

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    yeah, but that's still 2nd or 3rd hand. I'd like to see something direct from them, particularly as regards motive.
    The explanation I've seen...and that I tend to trust because it's coming from people who have actual connections rather than TTAG clickbait dipshits...is that at the moment Colt has a couple of time-sensitive contracts that are large enough that they need to dedicate personnel and production capability to getting them filled in time. Distributors seem to be well stocked at the moment so it would make sense for them to target their maximum production capacity at the contracts until those contracts are filled.

The general gun-buying public seems to have little experience with manufacturing and doesn't seem to understand that factories run on orders. The dude from RSR who fired that email off to the internet certainly doesn't seem to understand it and turned it into Colt abandoning civilian sales of rifles rather than Colt focusing their limited resources (as all resources are limited) to delivering on contract orders, other commercial orders, or to manufacturing other products they want to have on hand for anticipated future orders.

People seem to think that companies continuously manufacture every variant of every product they offer every day. In reality because of the time and effort involved in setting up equipment they make most things in runs.

During this period where Colt is not producing commercial rifles, I'm betting they will still be manufacturing components that will eventually go into commercial rifles because if they are making 1,000 of part A for a contract it will likely make a lot of sense for them to go ahead and make 1,500 or 2,000 of the parts for use in commercial sales or perhaps another contract order that comes in. Etc.
    3/15/2016

User Tag List