Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Colt Halts Production of Long Guns for the Retail Market

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's what TTAG has posted for an update:

UPDATE: TTAG was able to speak directly with Paul Spitale, Senior Vice President of Colt’s commercial business line. He confirmed the above. Colt has halted production of its commercial long guns lines and is focusing its manufacturing and sales on 1911s and revolvers.

He also stressed that Colt has about 110 days of long gun inventory in its distribution network and if market conditions change down the road, they could revisit this decision.
    Well, that's one way for TTAG to avoid actually admitting they got it wrong.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    My inner cynic says that this is Colt's way of getting rid of some inventory. There is no better way to sell guns than to tell gun owners the guns will no longer be sold to private individuals.
    Based on past behavior and decisions I don't think they're that smart.

There is a very large an active "clone" market amongst gun owners. People who seek to very accurately mimic military rifles (albeit usually semiauto). Colt rifles are understandably very popular for this. USGI M4s, M4A1s, M16A4, MK18, CQBRs and Mk12 Mod0, Mod1, ModH… and a lot of others... all normally based on Colts.

-Cory

Personal Rant starting.....

I want to say first and wholeheartedly that my vitriol is in no way, shape or form directed at you Cory but ........

....the only group of people I tend to collectively despise more than antigunners are friggin klone kiddies.... Cloning started as a way to use us old obsolete parts that you happened to have laying around in the morning bottom of your or your buddies parts bin....and then suddenly a bunch of assholes did asshole things and went full retard with it and are now paying stupid money for mostly stolen government property..... Nothing makes me vicariously happier than seeing another one of those Yahoo's caught by CID or NCIS and thrown in jail..... And believe me I see more than my fair share of them around Camp Lejuene... Many of them are current mil as well..... Which doublely blows my mind. Why you ask? Do not fret I'll explain below.

It's sad really.... Because most of them seem to think nothing of stealing shit from their supposed brothers armories to support their hobby..... And try to justify it by saying they paid taxes too...... Not only that, but they are putting their careers at risk over AR parts..... really?!!! It ain't that serious bro. You really want that special rifle... Go to selection and they will give you one....

I get that many consider cloning the new version of milsurp collecting but while some of it may be oldeparts that are no longer in service, much of those parts are still in use and most of it is stolen from armsrooms.... And DRMO DOES NOT SELL GUNS, GUN PARTS OR OPTICS IN A USEABLE CONDITION ON TO THE CIVILIAN MARKET....

When I have guys in my rifle company rocking BUIS as their primary day sights due to us having a shortage of RCO's or some of my dudes being without a working PEQ due to shit breaking and going WIR without a inbound replacement and then I see obviously stolen shit on tacswap et al..... It make me want to throat punch people....

Rant over....

CWM11B
    @rcbusmc24:Truth. Preach on brother.
    Last edited by CWM11B; 09-12-2019 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    There is a very large an active "clone" market amongst gun owners. People who seek to very accurately mimic military rifles (albeit usually semiauto). Colt rifles are understandably very popular for this. USGI M4s, M4A1s, M16A4, MK18, CQBRs and Mk12 Mod0, Mod1, ModH… and a lot of others... all normally based on Colts.

-Cory

Personal Rant starting.....

I want to say first and wholeheartedly that my vitriol is in no way, shape or form directed at you Cory but ........

....the only group of people I tend to collectively despise more than antigunners are friggin klone kiddies.... Cloning started as a way to use us old obsolete parts that you happened to have laying around in the morning bottom of your or your buddies parts bin....and then suddenly a bunch of assholes did asshole things and went full retard with it and are now paying stupid money for mostly stolen government property..... Nothing makes me vicariously happier than seeing another one of those Yahoo's caught by CID or NCIS and thrown in jail..... And believe me I see more than my fair share of them around Camp Lejuene... Many of them are current mil as well..... Which doublely blows my mind. Why you ask? Do not fret I'll explain below.

It's sad really.... Because most of them seem to think nothing of stealing shit from their supposed brothers armories to support their hobby..... And try to justify it by saying they paid taxes too...... Not only that, but they are putting their careers at risk over AR parts..... really?!!! It ain't that serious bro. You really want that special rifle... Go to selection and they will give you one....

I get that many consider cloning the new version of milsurp collecting but while some of it may be oldeparts that are no longer in service, much of those parts are still in use and most of it is stolen from armsrooms.... And DRMO DOES NOT SELL GUNS, GUN PARTS OR OPTICS IN A USEABLE CONDITION ON TO THE CIVILIAN MARKET....

When I have guys in my rifle company rocking BUIS as their primary day sights due to us having a shortage of RCO's or some of my dudes being without a working PEQ due to shit breaking and going WIR without a inbound replacement and then I see obviously stolen shit on tacswap et al..... It make me want to throat punch people....

Rant over....
    So if a person builds a clone AR they're supporting arms trafficking and theft from our military?

Can't even go to a generic Shitty Wok for Chinese food without paying money into human trafficking syndicates, and now we can't build clone ARs or we're basically the Muj.

Shit. Can't do anything fun these days.
    Last edited by TGS; 09-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Couldn't agree more with the above. That being said I just got off the phone with Colt. Yes I called, (mainly to ask if there was any way to get a CM 762 barrel in .308/7.62 outside the grey market) no was the answer. Seems like rumors are true and production for the, "foreseeable future" (CS reps words not mine) has been stopped on long guns. They don't sell parts direct I was told, (which I knew) but I wanted to try to locate an upper or barrel for the CM7.62 because I generally like their stuff, and the fact that 6.5CM barrels don't live long enough for my tastes necessitates having a .308/7.62 barrel. Plus I have tons of .308 crap laying around.

Man I'm sick of companies just dropping support or dropping sales for products because of the way the wind might be blowing politically or otherwise. This is some crap right out of Sigs playbook for dropping support and if it's to pander to the pussification of America as DD did when it was convenient I'm done. I am trying to withhold judgement but I'm not sure how long that may last. At this point I'm about to start searching for the most Pro 2A mfg with a solid rep buy a few rifles from them and deregister/sell my crap with Colts name on it. Rant off.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    When it comes out that this is totally concocted or whatever....I’d like to be the fly on the wall waiting to see all the anti-Colt crowd here eating their words.
    I'm not pro- or anti- Colt. I'm not a fan of their management over the years though. I can see them abandoning ARs to focus on my profitable items, I can see them scaling back, I can see them going into bankruptcy again, I can see them abandoning the civilian market if it's convenient politically like they did before. Any or none of them may be true, but none of them would surprise me.

Anyone who thinks large gun manufacturers will support your 2nd amendment rights over how they perceive political and economic realities apparently doesn't recall the Clinton AWB and the years leading up to it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Anyone who thinks large gun manufacturers will support your 2nd amendment rights over how they perceive political and economic realities apparently doesn't recall the Clinton AWB and the years leading up to it.
    No expectation to drop a bunch of coin to support Ma'rights! Although I would prefer an MFG that is deeply rooted and interested in preserving our rights it's not expected. Economic realities are a part of doing business I get it but to stop support altogether for specific products is bullshit, (just as Sig does/has). Now I do expect product support for products that have been purchased with hard earned money. When an MFG stops supporting my gear I'll find someone else. Free market and all.
    Last edited by Mike C; 09-12-2019 at 09:41 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    No expectation to drop a bunch of coin to support Ma'rights! Though I would prefer an MFG that is deeply rooted and interested in preserving our rights but it's not expected. Economic realities are a part of doing business I get it but to stop support altogether for specific products is bullshit, (just as Sig does/has). Now I do expect product support for products that have been purchased with hard earned money. When an MFG stops supporting my gear I'll find someone else. Free market and all.
    Sure. I'm not saying just shrug and roll with it. I'm saying if you are surprised you haven't been paying attention.

I still refuse to buy a S&W revolver with a keyhole. I know many here don't think it's a big deal, and maybe it isn't. I would only be irritated to own something that reminds me of the Clintons and S&W getting in line behind Monica to hang off Bill's dick. I get why they did it. I get it's the past. I get it's not even the same S&W. I even bought two Shields and a S&W rifle. But I can't buy a keyhole revolver.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Sure. I'm not saying just shrug and roll with it. I'm saying if you are surprised you haven't been paying attention.

I still refuse to buy a S&W revolver with a keyhole. I know many here don't think it's a big deal, and maybe it isn't. I would only be irritated to own something that reminds me of the Clintons and S&W getting in line behind Monica to hang off Bill's dick. I get why they did it. I get it's the past. I get it's not even the same S&W. I even bought two Shields and a S&W rifle. But I can't buy a keyhole revolver.
    Fair points on all accounts, not surprised just upset and venting I guess. Another tidbit of info is that the only thing that will be available per rep for the, "foreseeable future" will be the retro line. Seems like a move to purge inventory and prep for things to come, could also just be savvy business strategy but it still seems like pandering. This is kind of a kick to the balls though not completely unexpected. I have no doubts there will be more of this.

User Tag List