Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun controls bills out of committee

Fun controls bills out of committee

Hope no one is sitting on their hands over this. The (R)s won’t save us of their own accord. You’re all calling, writing, posting, right?

From the commies at Countable:

The House Judiciary Committee on Tuesday passed a trio of gun control bills after a lengthy markup hearing, including a ban on magazines with more than 10 rounds of ammunition and a so-called “red flag law”. The committee originally planned to return early from summer recess to hold the hearing last week, but the plan was postponed in response to Hurricane Dorian.

The three gun control bills passed along party-line votes, and here’s a look at each.

H.R. 1186 - Keep Americans Safe Act: This bill would ban “high capacity” ammunition magazines which carry more than 10 rounds. It has the support of 141 Democratic cosponsors. The Keep Americans Safe Act passed on a party-line vote of 23-16.
    H.R. 1236 - Extreme Risk Protection Order Act of 2019 (includes provisions of H.R. 3076): This bill would provide grants to states to adopt laws providing for Extreme Risk Protection Orders to prevent those deemed a risk to themselves or others from accessing firearms, and establish procedures for obtaining ERPOs in federal court. H.R. 1236 has been cosponsored by 176 Democrats and two Republicans while H.R. 3076 has the support of 98 Democratic cosponsors. The Extreme Risk Protection Order Act passed on a party-line vote of 22-16.
    H.R. 2708 - Disarm Hate Act: This bill would make people convicted of misdemeanor hate crimes ineligible for gun ownership. It has the support of 142 Democratic cosponsors. The Disarm Hate Act passed on a party-line vote of 23-15.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

As a general question, what is the most effective way to contact my Congress-critters? I.e. to which comm channel will they actually listen?
    Last edited by Guerrero; 09-11-2019 at 10:30 AM.

Site Supporter
    Was "Fun" intentional or just a lucky type-o?

FWIW... Made me laugh.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Was "Fun" intentional or just a lucky type-o?

FWIW... Made me laugh.
    Totally autocorrect typo. Freudian slip? Haha
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Fun controls bills out of committee

Ugh. Well, this is hardly a surprise.

The mag ban does not appear to be retroactive. I just ordered some more standard capacity mags.

The hate crime bill is ‘interesting’. I mean who likes racists or homophobes? Why not take away their constitutional rights for a misdemeanor infraction? Why stop at the 2nd? Let’s prevent them from speaking or posting as well...
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-11-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Blatant bullshit.

Magazine limits to 10 don’t accomplish anything because changing a mag ain’t that time intensive. Didn’t the Parkland shooter have only 10-round mags? IIRC it was one of the recent school shooters that used 10-rounders.

ERPOs are going to be abused, and I sincerely doubt whatever legislation is brought up will be crafted well enough to prevent abuse or even punish those who make blatantly false allegations.

As for disarming those convicted of hate crimes, that sounds nice until the definition of a hate crime is changed to disagreeing with the narrative. We don’t need hate crime legislation anyway, because if the laws were enforced fairly anyway it wouldn’t matter. We’ve discussed here before about equal application of the law. Someone goes out to hurt someone else? Punish them, overall motive be damned. If what they do is heinous enough, take’em out behind the courthouse and Old Yeller them.

I hope none of these laws get any significant traction or consideration beyond this. Unfortunately with the seemingly increasing frequency of mass shootings something is going to give, it’s just a matter of what. The 2A’s balls are getting closer to the bandsaw.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

The hate crime bill is ‘interesting’. I mean who likes racists or homophobes? Why not take away their constitutional rights for a misdemeanor infraction? Why stop at the 2nd? Let’s prevent them from speaking or posting as well...
    That’s the long-term onerous issue. Today’s meme is tomorrow’s disqualifying social media post. Mark my words on that.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    H.R. 2708 - Disarm Hate Act: This bill would make people convicted of misdemeanor hate crimes ineligible for gun ownership. It has the support of 142 Democratic cosponsors. The Disarm Hate Act passed on a party-line vote of 23-15.
    After you serve your sentence for your misdemeanor conviction, do you get your rights back, just like convicted felons in Florida (and other states) do?

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    As a general question, what is the most effective way to contact my Congress-critters? I.e. to which comm channel will they actually listen?
    FWIW, emails usually generate those "thank you for your 2 cents... honor to serve as your (elected position)... canned responses. While I imagine most track various interests, they probably actually listen to those that have significant donations backing them up.

So if mags are limited to 10 and not retroactive, are pre-ban mags usually easy to find/purchase? Just curious how this works.

User Tag List