Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New pistol light project

Assuming equivalent quality, my dollars will support USA workers, even when it means paying substantially more.

I buy something like a WML with the long game in mind, so will not beta test for anyone. I will probably let others use a new product for several years, before deciding whether to buy one for my own use.

This is not the area of the forum where political discussion is OK, so I will simply say I buy products made in the People’s Republic of China as a last resort, and, that I like things I have bought, that were made by ethnic Chinese folks outside of the People’s Republic.

I am not blindly loyal to anyone or anything, but Surefire is my usual illumination tool provider, since the 6P days for hand-held, and the X200 for WMLs. I am not, however, liking the dinky concealment-oriented Surefire WML, so have not bought one, and I realize that Surefire’s CS is not what it once was.

I do not wear railed pistols inside my trousers, so, X200/X300/X300U is OK with me, when I need a WML, but, am open-minded.

I worked big-city, night-shift police patrol from early 1984 to early 2018, so, illumination for defensive/tactical purposes was truly a “business” concern.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

As has been mentioned, there are two distinct user categories: duty and concealed / home defense. The ability to conceal it impacts that latter. Otherwise, the things I see needing to be addressed apply to both.

Size - because of the cost for holster molds and how difficult that makes getting holsters for various pistol / WML combinations if they could fit within existing dimensions that would be significant in adoptability;

Switching - having come up with the Surefire lights that were hardwired with grip / remote switches (Classic 6v, Nitrolon) that is my preference. Add in short fingers and I really don't like trying to manipulate switches with my trigger finger (yes, I know I could use my support hand, but that may well be occupied). The old Surefire SL switch (horseshoe around the grip) was the best, but I understand why the DG replaced it. Phlster may have a viable rocker switch solution, but I haven't got their extenders yet;

Output - I want all of the possible light output. I don't expect to need throw with a pistol WML but I want enough to handle 3+ car lengths, a large classroom/office, commercial hallway - think 25yd plus indoor range, if it's all lit up we're probably ok;

Power - rechargeables have come a long way and are seeing increasing acceptance. If rechargeables that would fit within existing dimensions exist, that may well be the preferred route;

These are my thoughts for anyone paying attention. If you get a prototype, get them into the hands of working cops, trainers, instructors, practitioners for hard use testing and refine from there.

FWIW.

User Tag List