Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Irrational Firearm Desires

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    "Takes Glock mags"

Most of my less than purely practical urges tend to be what most would consider antiques. If I won the lottery my place would look somewhat like a historical firearms museum, going back to matchlock days forward to roughly WWII period.

I think we did a similar thread a while back. My interests are still similar, Id add some early winchester models, either modern Winchester remakes or quality copies if the Winchesters werent available in variants I preferred, such as 1866 carbines, and 1873 trapper (16") and regular 20" carbines. For some reason the 16" 1873 in 357 sticks in my mind as a useful yet fun and relatively cheap gun to shoot. No question of its effectiveness as a defensive arm, handy size, innocuous appearance for travel around the country.

Quoted from obscure guns thread:

The Colt Richards/Mason conversions of percussion revolvers have long interested me. The early trapdoor conversions (1866) of percussion rifled muskets also have, along with the 1868 50-70 trapdoors.

The coolest of the Buffalo Sharps rifles Ive seen were conversion guns of Civil War percussion carbines converted by the factory and by gunsmiths into cartridge guns. Quite a lot of the guns purported to be 1874 Sharps are in fact conversion guns. Its simple to tell the difference if you know what to look for.

The Gemmer sporting rifles, percussion muzzle loaders converted to trapdoor breechloaders, are on my list of things to have if the budget ever allows. The ones I like the most are period correct style Hawken rifles made into 50-70 breechloaders.

The shoulder stocked Colt single Action Army revolvers, particularly the ones with carbine sights in the frame have sparked my interest. A shoulder stocked revolver is probably one of the few things that would interest me enough to get a stamp for, although an SBR Thompson carbine may also.

The Ferguson breech loading flintlock rifles are also quite interesting to me. There have been some pretty good modern handmade copies made.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-11-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I’ve had the wantsie’s for a CZ 550 FS in 6.5x55 Swede..they quit making them in 2017...
    I fondled one of those in a gunshop back around 200Xis (after 2003, but before 2009). I almost bought it on the spot as it was about $650, but since I had (and still have) a Winchester Featherweight in 6.5x55, I left it for someone else. It handled well and would be a good open-sight gun for mountain hunting.

Chris

Site Supporter

Irrational Firearm Desires

Fitzs special

I don’t know why I can I can’t get a picture posted I tried but I guess my weak technology skills will gets me kilt in da streets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by serialsolver; 09-11-2019 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    Right?

An argument can be made for dividing today’s win amongst any posts with the words "gatling gun" in them.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I fondled one of those in a gunshop back around 200Xis (after 2003, but before 2009). I almost bought it on the spot as it was about $650, but since I had (and still have) a Winchester Featherweight in 6.5x55, I left it for someone else. It handled well and would be a good open-sight gun for mountain hunting.

Chris
    Yes, they were very reasonably priced considering what you got for the money. I have a couple of Swedish Mausers, a M96, and a M38, those rifles are suprisingly accurate. I reload that caliber,so I’ve got a pretty good idea what that cartridge is capable of.(the m96’s lowest rear sight setting is 300 meters) I’ve always wanted a Mauser 98 type of action that could be scoped, with a barrel chambered in 6.5x55, That CZ rifle pretty much filled the bill..

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I don’t need a Langdon compact 92, but if one is made, I want one.

I’ve also been looking at Citoris and other affordable ish over unders because I really want to shoot skeet and clays again. I had to sell my beloved Ruger Red Label many many years ago, along with my first 92 and my SLR95, to make ends meet. I miss them all and would love to have them back but the Red Label most of all.
    Last edited by Medusa; 09-11-2019 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I’ve also been looking at Citoris...
    Beware of the Google search on that one

Just sayin'

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Swung by the LGS at lunch and coonfingered a 4-inch SP101. Needs a different grip, but I kinda liked it. What makes it totally irrational is .327 Fed. If there was a six-inch version I'd already own it.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List