Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Irrational Firearm Desires

UZI carbine. In 41AE.

Lately, a Manuhrin MR73 Sport with a 5 1/4" barrel is the current object of desire. Others have been... A Bren Ten, 44 Automag, an American 180, a Q Honey Badger, Walther PPK, British Ferguson Rifle (actually a carbine version), SIG PE57, the list goes on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    I want a large caliber muzzle loader that shoots a giant plume of black power with a large boom.
    Man, "boom" isn't even the word. Those things go "whump." It's a whole different sound from modern smokeless powder. I can't ever see myself dealing with the absurd cleaning schedule that black powder requires, but they sure are impressive.

Something from Vudoo Gunworks
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

If we are going with most-utterly-useless yet most-irrationally-desired, mine would have to be
    1. Steyr Aug
    2. Barrett .50
    3. Desert Eagle .50
    4. Uzis in all three sizes
    5. Gyrojet
    Last edited by rob_s; 09-13-2019 at 04:57 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    If we are going with most-utterly-useless yet most-irrationally-desired, mine would have to be
    1. Gyrojet

Gyrojet! Good choice.
    Based on your excellent choice I want to add the Dardick 1500 with the Dardick trounds to my irrational firearm desire.
    Last edited by Blades; 09-13-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    --Jason--

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Man, "boom" isn't even the word. Those things go "whump." It's a whole different sound from modern smokeless powder. I can't ever see myself dealing with the absurd cleaning schedule that black powder requires, but they sure are impressive.

I did the quick math on the 4 gauge flintlock African trade gun, that comes out to a 1750 grain round ball. I seem to recall they used 150-200 grains of powder.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I did the quick math on the 4 gauge flintlock African trade gun, that comes out to a 1750 grain round ball. I seem to recall they used 150-200 grains of powder.
    I know black powder doesn't translate like for like to smokeless, but still, that's a big damn chunk of lead and roughly a metric *#!@ton of powder.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I know black powder doesn't translate like for like to smokeless, but still, that's a big damn chunk of lead and roughly a metric *#!@ton of powder.
    My scale doesn't measure in metric *#!@tons.

Chris

Yes, it is. I think they were capable of killing elephants, but I sure would like shooting one loaded full power.

I recall reading about one of the old time early African hunters talking about his 4 bore elephant gun, he hated shooting it, it gave him severe headaches.

Edit: I was mistaken, the heavy charges in the 4 bore cartridges were 16 dram, which is 437 grains of powder. Gads. The muzzle loaders may have used the wimpy 150-200 grain charges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4_bore

https://www.google.com/search?q=dram...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-13-2019 at 08:39 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List