Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Irrational Firearm Desires

As I am standardizing on 9mm, don't live in bear country, and no longer handgun hunt, my current object o' lust is an Heirloom Precision 10mm Government Model. Might not be completely irrational, but with my checking account and lust for motorcycles on top of guns and European cars it might as well be due to its un-affordability.

Knight's SR-25, because I haven't shot my .308 bolt gun in like seven or eight years and need a reason to buy real ammunition.

SOLGW carbine because my passel of 100%-reliable-and-built-with-top-end-parts AR's are just not up to par.

Wilson .459 SOCOM AR, because I also no longer rifle hunt and need the big holes in paper to make me feel better about my receding hairline.

STI Staccato P, can the USMS be wrong? If I don't have enough bullets to fight my way out of Mogadishu and an RDS I might as well be carrying a sharp stick and a harsh word.

Langdon Beretta 1301... wait, that's not irrational at all!

I kind of surprise myself that there are only two handguns on the list, mostly because the vast majority of handguns I want aren't irrational at all.

Irrational Firearm Desires

I have an irrational desire to assemble a collection of the guns of the main characters from the first Die Hard. I don’t want exact copies as I prefer the modern improvements some of the guns have seen in their development since the movie was filmed.

So far I have:
    LTT Elite 92
    Steyr AUG A3 M1
    S&W 64-5 (I figured it was close enough to Al Powell’s Model 15)

I want:
    H&K MP5
    HK P7
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 09-11-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

A pair of nickle plated Government Model 45s taken off an angry gunsel in a trench coat...

... and a Jonny Eagle M14
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Here is a semi-rational want: Noveske 8.5" Gen 4 Space Invader Pistol

Name:  pistol_right.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  18.9 KB

I would like one or two samples of pretty much all the guns.

I suppose at the more achievable end is a single shot falling block rifle. Not sure why I want one. Not sure how I'd justify needing one to the police, but I suppose I could take up hunting (because with at minimum a three hour round trip commute, it's not like I am already short on time...).

Getting the fully automatic firearms I want would be a tad trickier... I am still bitter at the Army for not getting a chance to train with an MP5, one of those would top my list. The SAW I was trained on wasn't well liked by our trainers, but I would like to have one just the same. Practical issues aside, it was fun to shoot. And obviously one should own a Lewis gun, that should go without saying.

Quirky, steampunkish pistols from the early years of semi-automatic handguns might be an area of firearms collecting that could be legally achievable. Those things are just a tad rare and expensive though...

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    In an online discussion about long range pistol shooting, someone mentioned they were getting something under 2" groups @ 300 yards with their XP-100.
    So what's the conversion factor between Internet discussion groups and actual real life groups with guns like those?

There's an FDE USP 9mm full size available to me locally. I've checked it out twice and can't get it out of my head. I don't need another holster and mags... Is JMCK making USP holsters again? If so my fate is sealed

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    So what's the conversion factor between Internet discussion groups and actual real life groups with guns like those?
    Good question, though it piqued my curiosity, when I started looking into it, I came away thinking it was distinctly realistic for XP type pistols.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    There's an FDE USP 9mm full size available to me locally. I've checked it out twice and can't get it out of my head. I don't need another holster and mags... Is JMCK making USP holsters again? If so my fate is sealed
    I could be wrong, but I think FDE USP’s are one of those things that you don’t see everyday. If the price is reasonable, buy it! You literally can’t go wrong with a USP..

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    Is JMCK making USP holsters again?
    Go read the USP CCW thread. I believe he has a pistol at the mold tooling shop, but it might be a .45. I reckon 9s and .40s should follow, though.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Despite the round possibly about to be going the way of the Dodo, I want something in 357 SIG.

Oh and an M134, despite the fact I’d have to save for a year for enough ammo to shoot it for about 2 seconds.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

User Tag List