Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Irrational Firearm Desires

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The early breechloading-to-WWI arms history is really fascinating to me. Anyone with that itch should scratch it with the youtube channel C&Rsenal.
    Cool, I’ll check it out.

The weapons of that period fascinate me as well.

Technically anything more than what I already have would be irrational since I don't have the time or ammo to use most of what I already have. But that train of thought is way too grown up and about as fun as a dick with cancer, let's see what comes to mind.

Single shot falling block or tilting block rifles like the Ruger No1, Martini-Henry and Martini Cadet in flavors such as .22LR, .22 Hornet and some kind of quarter bore. Even though it's not flashy and exciting, I find the idea of a No1 in .30-06 appealing. Not appealing enough to stop buying pistols right now but that's not the point...

European martial revolvers from the mid-1800s through WWI. Might as well throw the gear and accoutrements in there as well.

I want to build several non-Glock "Glocks". No idea why other than "looks way cool!" That may be even more irrational than the Euro revolver thing....
    Last edited by awp_101; 09-27-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    It's a Taurus. In a caliber I don't need, and will probably never shoot. Irrational enough?

Raging bull. $449 at my LGS
    But for $450 it almost looks good.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    It's a Taurus. In a caliber I don't need, and will probably never shoot. Irrational enough?

Raging bull. $449 at my LGS
    But for $450 it almost looks good.
    My dad had the 45colt version of that gun. It was a decent shooter and had a passable DA trigger.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    ...Single shot falling block or tilting block rifles like the Ruger No1, Martini-Henry and Martini Cadet in flavors such as .22LR, .22 Hornet and some kind of quarter bore. Even though it's not flashy and exciting, I find the idea of a No1 in .30-06 appealing. Not appealing enough to stop buying pistols right now but that's not the point....
    Ive had a bit of a crush on the Browning B-78 or 1885 single shots, with my wimpy shoulder, the 25-06 sounds interesting. Enough to reach out a ways, easy on the shoulder, interesting rifle (High Wall Winchester action). Most seem to have decent to pretty nice wood, stocked well for scopes, no crescent butt.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Nearly all of my firearms desires are completely irrational, if not outright whimsy.

Here are a few of the less likely ones:

Berdan Sharps mod 1854 rifle
    Winchester 1895 musket in 7.62 x 54 or .303 British
    US Navy Lee model 1895 in 6mm
    1879 Remington-Lee 45-70 with USN markings

Every version of the Lee-Metford, Lee-Speed, and Lee Enfield series carbines from 1889 to 1902

Mannlicher Schoenauer model 1905 in 6.5 Mannlicher with full stock and double trigger

1908 SiG Mondragon self-loading rifle

And then there are the sidearms...
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 09-28-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ive had a bit of a crush on the Browning B-78 or 1885 single shots, with my wimpy shoulder, the 25-06 sounds interesting. Enough to reach out a ways, easy on the shoulder, interesting rifle (High Wall Winchester action). Most seem to have decent to pretty nice wood, stocked well for scopes, no crescent butt.
    I was this close once to buying a Trapper-style (16" barrel) B-85 in .38/55 once.

Fortunately I had a rare moment of rationality and passed.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

And honestly, I feel like a few minutes shooting a 4-bore Blunderbuss - would also be a crowd pleaser. Do we want to see how a 4-bore patterns at 5-yards with three handfuls of buckshot in it? I think we do.

Attachment 43009
    We wants it!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Saw a new production Walther PPK today. Uh oh. Watched a Bond movie last night. Coinsidense? I think not!

Also saw a Beretta 21A. I'd like one along with a Tornado Technogies pill bottle suppressor.

User Tag List