Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying a slide for an RMR cut

I would like to point one more thing regarding the slide/Holster.

To my surprise I'm able to use the same Kydex OWB holster I bought recently (inexpensive) before I even thought going the RDS route.

Simong.

Follow up on decision

Thought that I should post what I actually ended up with.

I bought a Zev Citadel. http://www.zevtechnologies.com/ZEV-Z...-5th-Gen-Black I did not pay list, I paid $309. Which was less than many aftermarket slides.

It's one of the few Gen 5 slides out there. I didn't want any windows in the slide and I didn't want to have my original slide blasted and re-coated along with the lead times that the process demanded.

If I don't like this slide I'm keeping the original intact as soon as I can find some Gen 5 slide parts. I found some today at Guns Midwest, right up until the time they wanted $54 to ship a handful of slide parts.

Parts and pieces came today from Brownells and Euro Optic, firing pin channel liner tool, suppressor height sights, RM06 T2 etc.

If anyone has a line on some Gen 5 slide parts in stock with reasonable pricing and shipping costs. I could really use a push in the right direction. Brownells and Midway have Zero.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    You can check NDZ Performance or Glockstore.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    You can check NDZ Performance or Glockstore.
    On the slide parts, finally Brownells has these parts in stock at a very reasonable price. Mine are scheduled for delivery today so I will have two complete uppers for this 19.5.

Now that I already have one up and running, I can send off the other slide to be milled and don't have to fret too much about turn around time.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    If you want Gen5 and do not want use the MOS (I do not like MOS and won't use it)
    I'm pretty sure this has been covered elsewhere, but having not actually owned either option, I still don't understand the issue with the MOS.

Anyone able to explain it to a dummy?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I'm pretty sure this has been covered elsewhere, but having not actually owned either option, I still don't understand the issue with the MOS.

More screws (failure points), higher optic ride (cowitness issues), certain optics require special shorter MOS screws to mount (e.g. Trijicon).

However, if the new Noblex MOS optic is any indication, optics integrating the MOS plate pattern as a mounting platform might be a developing presence in the marketplace.

Might.

Not sure very many companies will, however, invest the resources necessary into an optic that only works on one manufacturer's products.

So what JRV said, ontop of the fact it's just a matter of time before it fails in some way. Direct mill is a better option all around.

They could have designed a unity atom type mount and made out decently but they choose to go the cheap route.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

So, just wondering. How many people have had the MOS mounting system fail? I only have one MOS pistol, a G19.5, and it has had an RMR on it, and more recently the SRO. It's had several thousand rounds through it, with no failures of the mounting system (plate or optic). I have had (and still do mostly) several direct mount red dots, and only one of those has come loose (which I didn't initially mount).

I don't do anything special in mounting the red dots. Clean out the drilled holes with degreaser (and also screws, unless they have pre-applied loctite), apply a dab of blue loctite to threads, and tighten "snugly" (never actually used a torque wrench). Did the same on the MOS plate and red dot.

Come to think of it, I had an early M&P with the plate system. No problem with it either.

All these guns are 9mm, so maybe it's a recoil issue. I'm just not seeing the dots, direct milled or the one MOS, loosening up.

But then I've only had two dot failures (one the optic, one an adjusting screw broke) in several years and many thousands of rounds.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by JRV View Post
    More screws (failure points), higher optic ride (cowitness issues), certain optics require special shorter MOS screws to mount (e.g. Trijicon).

However, if the new Noblex MOS optic is any indication, optics integrating the MOS plate pattern as a mounting platform might be a developing presence in the marketplace.

Might.

Not sure very many companies will, however, invest the resources necessary into an optic that only works on one manufacturer's products.
    That moblex is a really slick design. Kind of seems like they went overboard on the low profile though. Like the screen should be bigger.

So with a Glock MOS, the issue is that you have the slide cut, then an adapter plate, then the optic, whereas with a custom milled slide you go direct from slide to optic?

So with a Glock MOS, the issue is that you have the slide cut, then an adapter plate, then the optic, whereas with a custom milled slide you go direct from slide to optic?
    Yeah. Whether it's an actual issue or a percieved issue, plates put the optic higher up and introduce more possible issues.

User Tag List