Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best techniques to clean RDS glass?

Site Supporter

Best techniques to clean RDS glass?

I have a smoky haze build up on my SRO. Are there best techniques for cleaning RDS lens without scratching, etc.? Thanks

Wet q tips then dry ones

But I’m new to RDS pistols

I clean it like I clean a camera lens. Blow away any potential abrasive dust and debris. Spray lens cleaner and wipe with a cotton tip Qtip or lens cloth. If you have Shield RMS you really have to be careful.

I put a little Cat Crap paste on both outside elements with a Q tip, wipe off excess with clean side of Q tip and finish with a microfiber lens cloth. Cat Crap is supposed to help flow the water off the glass in rainy conditions.
    Real guns have hammers.

Leupold lens pen.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Echoing @GJM, I think the absolute safest way (least risk of damage to lens surface) is one of the lens pens offered by any number of camera/optics mfgrs. They're made to clean the (very) fragile sensors/mirrors/etc inside cameras. Some are combo sets, and include a liquid lens cleaner. Key thing the lens pens do that a household cotton swab doesn't do, is that the former don't shed cotton fibers on the optics surface (and they have only "soft" fiber/foam/material; no stray "hard" fibers that can be in household cotton swabs).

That said, I mostly use a microfiber cloth and "regular" lens cleaner from the optician that comes in a small pump spray bottle. I hold the slide upside down (so if I spray too much liquid it won't run down/get in the base of the optic), give the "glass" a tiny squirt, and wipe it off with a rolled up section of the microfiber cloth. Using the tip of a rolled up section prevents too much pressure from being applied (as might happen using just a finger to press the cloth against the lens), and makes getting into the corners easier. And, so far, I've only had to clean the front surface of my optics. Reaching the back surface, definitely a lens pen type "tool".

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Damn I need to get on board with you guys. I just use whatever stuff comes in the screen protectors for our cell phones. Usually wipes and a glass cleaning cloth lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My pistol RDS experience is limited to 12k through a P320 RX but I tend to over-lube, get a lot of GSR+oil crap on my lens, and thus have cleaned it often. With the slide off I wrap my fingers around, protecting the breech face, and give a generous spritz directly on the front lens with Windex.

Name:  20191025_015650.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  37.9 KB

Paper towel to wipe the bulk of it, then small paper towel bits pushed around with a toothpick and/or q-tips to get into the corners.

But also I've realized the glass doesn't have to be perfect. With target focus, the glass can be pretty fucked up, even nearly blacked out, and the overall sight picture is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ArgentFix View Post
    My pistol RDS experience is limited to 12k through a P320 RX but I tend to over-lube, get a lot of GSR+oil crap on my lens, and thus have cleaned it often. With the slide off I wrap my fingers around, protecting the breech face, and give a generous spritz directly on the front lens with Windex.

Name:  20191025_015650.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  37.9 KB

Paper towel to wipe the bulk of it, then small paper towel bits pushed around with a toothpick and/or q-tips to get into the corners.

But also I've realized the glass doesn't have to be perfect. With target focus, the glass can be pretty fucked up, even nearly blacked out, and the overall sight picture is good enough.
    Paper towel and Windex are both a big NO on aircraft windshields and I would be extremely careful about their use on a red dot — especially so on a Shield.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List