Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 for interstate overlanding/remote 4x4 camping? Or maybe a Lever Action?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Threaded barrels on semi auto rifles are fine in Kalifornia - what matters is what is threaded on them. Muzzle Brake = GO, Flash
    Hider/Suppressor = No Go.
    Thanks for the info. I'm even more tempted to get an SCR now.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Threaded barrels on semi auto rifles are fine in Kalifornia - what matters is what is threaded on them. Muzzle Brake = GO, Flash
    And to expand on the features thing, Im not 100% positive, but I believe none of the evil features really matter if its a manually operated rifle. Bolt action with whatever magazine is legal to own, muzzle widget of choice, whatever shape stock one desires. I dont think theres any points per se. I expect to make a couple Cal visits to Death Valley and other similar desert areas. I expect a scoped angle eject Win 94 or a standard scoped bolt hunting rifle will do whatever may need done, but they would be mostly packed away most of the time except at camp as allowed under Cal laws for the specific area.

If its not going to be carried around or kept usable in a vehicle it probably doesnt matter how short it is, such as a standard M1A or M1 Garand wouldnt be much of a handicap compared to a super short version. Thats personal choice, Im not a fan of short barrels because of increased muzzle blast.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Last I saw there was a flap on the bolt that flopped down via gravity to fit between the feed lips of the mags and pick up a cartridge.
    The Ruger has a three lug bolt that results in a shorter throw and leaves one of the lugs at the bottom in the position to strip rounds from the magazine:
    Name:  RugerBolt.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  20.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    The Ruger has a three lug bolt that results in a shorter throw and leaves one of the lugs at the bottom in the position to strip rounds from the magazine:
    The Ruger GSR also does this neat thing, it's a push feed but by the time the cartridge clears the feed lips or the magazine it's already a good ways into the chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Excellent, good to know and thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    And to expand on the features thing, Im not 100% positive, but I believe none of the evil features really matter if its a manually operated rifle. Bolt action with whatever magazine is legal to own, muzzle widget of choice, whatever shape stock one desires. I dont think theres any points per se. I expect to make a couple Cal visits to Death Valley and other similar desert areas. I expect a scoped angle eject Win 94 or a standard scoped bolt hunting rifle will do whatever may need done, but they would be mostly packed away most of the time except at camp as allowed under Cal laws for the specific area.

If its not going to be carried around or kept usable in a vehicle it probably doesnt matter how short it is, such as a standard M1A or M1 Garand wouldnt be much of a handicap compared to a super short version. Thats personal choice, Im not a fan of short barrels because of increased muzzle blast.
    Good points.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm even more tempted to get an SCR now.
    I also super intrigued by these. If they are GTG durability/reliability/performance wise, what a great idea to have one of these, more genteel, looking broomsticks in one's collection.

Have these developed a good track record as of yet?

It's a nice problem to have.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    That does look a lot more tidy and solid.

Site Supporter
    I'm a lever action rifle guy and know a something about them. For this reason I do not recommend one for your purpose. The lever gun has a learning curve pertaining to unloading the chamber when there are rounds in the magazine tube. Further, unloading the mag tube of Marlins, Winchesters, and Rossi rifles requires working the lever to run the rounds through the action to be ejected. Browning makes an excellent lever action that uses a magazine. A used one might serve you nicely. I have had several and recommend them.

For a shotgun to be kept unloaded in your vehicle, consider a Stoeger Coach Gun which is a double barrel 12 or 20 gauge with 20 inch barrel. Shells kept on an elastic band attached to the stock would permit rapid loading. This gun with 20 inch barrel is shorter than a pump or semi auto with 20 inch barrel because the latter has a longer action. Too, the double is easily taken down and reassembled. Disassembled, the Coach Gun would fit in most duffel bags and many suit cases. Being light, it will kick like hell with heavy loads.

Your trip most likely will require that you stay in motels. Give thought to acceptable long gun luggage for transporting these weapons into the motel.

User Tag List