Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 for interstate overlanding/remote 4x4 camping? Or maybe a Lever Action?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I'm a lever action rifle guy and know a something about them. For this reason I do not recommend one for your purpose. The lever gun has a learning curve pertaining to unloading the chamber when there are rounds in the magazine tube. Further, unloading the mag tube of Marlins, Winchesters, and Rossi rifles requires working the lever to run the rounds through the action to be ejected...
    The rounds need to be cycled through the action, but not chambered with Winchesters. I run the lever to push the shell forward enough that it comes clear of the cartridge guides in the receiver, then back the bolt open and pull the shell out by the rim with my fingertips. It works very easily on top ejects and is still workable on angle ejects.

One aspect of the Winchester I prefer regarding clearing the chamber and leaving the magazine loaded, if you eject the chambered round, the carrier (lifter) with the next feeding round can be pushed back down with the little finger and the bolt closed. Some are a bit balky, but with a little manipulation of the lever in and out a little they will close OK. Ive also polished the front edge of the lever, this makes it easier. This may sound like a small point, but one Ive found myself using quite a lot. Most of my guns live loaded full time. If I chamber a small game/grouse/snake load, or fire a round, I can reload the chamber with a light load again, or just clear the chamber for storage and transport. I hunt grouse with light loads and leave the magazine loaded with full power load.

A reminder that guns that dont like to be topped off once loaded can be fixed to load correctly regardless of how many rounds are in the magazine. Some have just accepted them not loading correctly and assumed thats just they way they are. Its not operating correctly if you cant easily load more rounds and theres zero real need to not load one all the way in each time when they work right. Older 94s, like pre-war, or any that are smoothed up from use should be very easy to load the magazine. Polishing the back side of the loading gate will allow them to work right.

The unloading by people not overly familiar with the lever action is a good reason for a crossbolt or tang safety. Im not generally a fan of them, but they serve a valid purpose in that instance.

Pretty clean used angle eject 94s seem to hang in the $400 price range on GB if one looks around a bit. Just a bit of general info for people figuring the options. The Leupold bases and rings seem the better option for a low scope mount that doesnt interfere with the hammer or loading and unloading directly to or from the chamber. The scope clears the rear sight and sits in a goo place to see through the scope without hunting around to find the image, at kleast it does for me. Many other base/ring combinations seem to sit too tall for that.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-17-2019 at 12:54 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    The Ruger GSR also does this neat thing, it's a push feed
    I'm pretty sure my Ruger Scout is controlled feed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    It is. Or, at least, it has the giant Mauser claw extractor. The Ruger American series bolts are push-feed.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    A cursory google search says it is so I must be thinking of a different rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

You don't have to run cartridges through a Marlin's action to eject them, at least not all of them. A chambered round must be ejected, but after that, with the lever down you can roll the gun sideways and dump the round that is on the elevator into your hand from the port, just like a shotgun. Then you can work the lever and repeat. Like a pump shotgun with the slide back, the lever must be down (bolt back) to pull the cartridge.

I won't say it's easy, because the port is small and the Marlin by being a solid-top gun just makes it harder to deal with. But it's possible. The Winchester works the same way as Malamute noted. If you can get a finger inside the Marlin ejection port you can push the elevator down like in a Winchester. But it's a pain in the ass, because of the size of the port.

Actually, with a properly set up Marlin 45-70, you can remove cartridges from the tube, by depressing the loading gate and allowing them to pop out, one at a time, like a shotgun tube.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Actually, with a properly set up Marlin 45-70, you can remove cartridges from the tube, by depressing the loading gate and allowing them to pop out, one at a time, like a shotgun tube.
    You can do the same with a 336. But it’s what I would describe as “a pain in the ass”. I don’t think I’ve ever successfully done it without drawing blood. You have to get practiced and do it quickly. The diameter of a .30-30 case head and the taper of the cartridge makes it harder still. You get the cartridge part way out and the shoulder hits the gate and it pops sideways, causing the bullet to get wedged at a 45-degree angle, part way out of the gate. Now you’re trying to finger fuck the loading gate, to loose the cartridge but it’s jammed, because the bullet nose is caught. So in a fit of frustration you grab the cartridge and rip it out. If you’re lucky you just mar the bullet and your crimp holds. If you’re unlucky the bullet pops loose and you sling gunpowder everywhere and have a damn bullet stuck in the loading gate.

Def prefer a shotgun in 12 or 20 in this regard, much easier to unload the tube.

I’d rather stick my fingers in a mousetrap than try to unload a .30-30 Marlin via the gate again.

This one also looks cool

Name:  RAH.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  32.4 KB
    Buds is out of stock but shows them at $564. Considering it is sitting in a $270 stock that seems like a nice deal. Also available in 6.5C.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I'm a lever action rifle guy and know a something about them. For this reason I do not recommend one for your purpose. The lever gun has a learning curve pertaining to unloading the chamber when there are rounds in the magazine tube. Further, unloading the mag tube of Marlins, Winchesters, and Rossi rifles requires working the lever to run the rounds through the action to be ejected. Browning makes an excellent lever action that uses a magazine. A used one might serve you nicely. I have had several and recommend them.

For a shotgun to be kept unloaded in your vehicle, consider a Stoeger Coach Gun which is a double barrel 12 or 20 gauge with 20 inch barrel. Shells kept on an elastic band attached to the stock would permit rapid loading. This gun with 20 inch barrel is shorter than a pump or semi auto with 20 inch barrel because the latter has a longer action. Too, the double is easily taken down and reassembled. Disassembled, the Coach Gun would fit in most duffel bags and many suit cases. Being light, it will kick like hell with heavy loads.

Your trip most likely will require that you stay in motels. Give thought to acceptable long gun luggage for transporting these weapons into the motel.
    Thank you for your informative comments regarding the quirks of lever guns. Certainly gives me something to think about. The coach gun idea is intriguing indeed. I'm thinking that in CA the ammo may have to be "separate" from the gun while driving, as such I'm not sure what the authoritaay's would say about ammo being connected to the gun in any sort of way. I think that once stopped at the camp site, the most practical arm to get up to speed may be taking the pistol out of the lock box and feeding it a mag from the glove box. Then loading up a long gun.

I would try not to stay at motels since these would be remote 4x4 touring type of trips, however good point about any potential motel stays. Coming in with long guns in a discreet fashion is worth thinking about for sure. Having something some sort of take down model would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    The rounds need to be cycled through the action, but not chambered with Winchesters. I run the lever to push the shell forward enough that it comes clear of the cartridge guides in the receiver, then back the bolt open and pull the shell out by the rim with my fingertips. It works very easily on top ejects and is still workable on angle ejects.

One aspect of the Winchester I prefer regarding clearing the chamber and leaving the magazine loaded, if you eject the chambered round, the carrier (lifter) with the next feeding round can be pushed back down with the little finger and the bolt closed. Some are a bit balky, but with a little manipulation of the lever in and out a little they will close OK. Ive also polished the front edge of the lever, this makes it easier. This may sound like a small point, but one Ive found myself using quite a lot. Most of my guns live loaded full time. If I chamber a small game/grouse/snake load, or fire a round, I can reload the chamber with a light load again, or just clear the chamber for storage and transport. I hunt grouse with light loads and leave the magazine loaded with full power load.

A reminder that guns that dont like to be topped off once loaded can be fixed to load correctly regardless of how many rounds are in the magazine. Some have just accepted them not loading correctly and assumed thats just they way they are. Its not operating correctly if you cant easily load more rounds and theres zero real need to not load one all the way in each time when they work right. Older 94s, like pre-war, or any that are smoothed up from use should be very easy to load the magazine. Polishing the back side of the loading gate will allow them to work right.

The unloading by people not overly familiar with the lever action is a good reason for a crossbolt or tang safety. Im not generally a fan of them, but they serve a valid purpose in that instance.

Pretty clean used angle eject 94s seem to hang in the $400 price range on GB if one looks around a bit. Just a bit of general info for people figuring the options. The Leupold bases and rings seem the better option for a low scope mount that doesnt interfere with the hammer or loading and unloading directly to or from the chamber. The scope clears the rear sight and sits in a goo place to see through the scope without hunting around to find the image, at kleast it does for me. Many other base/ring combinations seem to sit too tall for that.
    great info thanks!

User Tag List