Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 for interstate overlanding/remote 4x4 camping? Or maybe a Lever Action?

OP, in case you're still wondering, the only caveat about Colorado is the 15-round magazine limit. So if it's legal in CA it's legal here.

My ideal CA semi-auto would be an unconverted SAIGA. They run about what a Mini-14/30 would cost, maybe a bit less (especially the 5.56), the SGM mags work and are available in 5-30 rounds, there are enhanced safeties that should work well with the Saiga import stocks, and the Magpul Zhukov forends are perfect for them. I'm keeping my eyes out for a 5.56 to set up like this for visiting family near LA metro.

My second choice would probably be an SCR (in .300 for your use) but good luck getting an unthreaded muzzle. A close 3rd would be a Mini-30, M1A, or M1 Garand but I'm not crazy about the safeties on them.

I had some SKS', the safety makes me nervous and there's no good way to attach anything. I sold them off.

Honestly I'd just get a .30-30 or .357 lever action and call it good enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Many thanks to everyone for all of your great input.

Here are a few more that just came up on my radar. Please let me know what you all think

Here's the Ruger American Ranch Bolt gun. This thing takes Mini30 mags which I don't have, but it seems like a very good package. 7.62x39 would be a great choice. 300 blackout would be great if it took AR mags as I already stock that caliber.
    I have the Ruger Ranch in 300 BO that takes AR mags. It shoots well so far with Hornady FMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    That Ruger Scout is certainly another contender...but with a flash hider and mag we are up to two Scary features...I can't believe we have to even consider such ridiculous things.
    The flash hider is removable (it was originally meant more as a placeholder, to be replaced with a muzzle device of the shooters choice), so as long as a threaded barrel isn't one of those "evil features", just replace it with a thread protector and you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I have the Ruger Ranch in 300 BO that takes AR mags. It shoots well so far with Hornady FMJ.
    I have one too and I think it is pretty nifty. Put the Sig Romeo on it and it is kinda cool.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    OP, in case you're still wondering, the only caveat about Colorado is the 15-round magazine limit. So if it's legal in CA it's legal here.

My ideal CA semi-auto would be an unconverted SAIGA. They run about what a Mini-14/30 would cost, maybe a bit less (especially the 5.56), the SGM mags work and are available in 5-30 rounds, there are enhanced safeties that should work well with the Saiga import stocks, and the Magpul Zhukov forends are perfect for them. I'm keeping my eyes out for a 5.56 to set up like this for visiting family near LA metro.

My second choice would probably be an SCR (in .300 for your use) but good luck getting an unthreaded muzzle. A close 3rd would be a Mini-30, M1A, or M1 Garand but I'm not crazy about the safeties on them.

I had some SKS', the safety makes me nervous and there's no good way to attach anything. I sold them off.

Honestly I'd just get a .30-30 or .357 lever action and call it good enough.
    Thanks for the Colorado specific info.

Saiga..intriguing, I will take a look. I had forgotten about them!

And I had no idea about the SCR! Thanks for the kindly tip.

Yeah a nice lever action certainly has appeal.

Thanks for the great input.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Nice..I had no idea that they had released a version that takes AR mags. That's huge.

Any issues with light primer strikes? I found some reports of this happening.

OK Gents, and any lurking Gentleladies, here is where I am with this, at this juncture.

I have some time, as I will get this around Christmas time.

I think that for a versatile game and self defense solution out to 100 yards, with proper ammo selection, for anything from birds and snakes to large or dangerous animals, it will be hard to beat a good [semi auto] shotgun.

Hence my first priority will be a 1301, or possibly other shotgun iteration, but I think I’m good with the idea of getting a 1301.

But, I have decided to also get a bolt gun. I don’t have a bolt gun currently, and I would like a compact and lightweight rifle for medium to large game out to 200-300 yards.

Overlanding wise, I think I could comfortably carry a 12 gauge AND a Bolt Gun in the truck without too much inconvenience or drama. At camp the shotgun will be slung or within easy reach, and the bolt gun will be there in the truck for any longer range rifling needs that arise.

The only thing suboptimal about the shotgun will be that it will be slower to load at camp, but I will have a pistol along too.
    On that note, I think I’ll just acquiesce and buy heathen 10 round mags for the G19 and/or G17, and take one of them along too instead of my G26. Only reason I was thinking of taking my G26 is because of the ammo capacity restriction issue, and not wanting to have to buy annoying 10 round G19/17 mags. I will keep this pistol in a lock box unloaded and the magazine separate. Loading this at camp will be quick and easy.

BTW, are the latest Glock 10 round G19/17 mags reliable? I had a few in the 90s when I was living in CA and I remember the follower having a tendency to get stuck on a few of them so I have a bias against them.

Lastly, I probably should start a thread, or look for an existing one, that covers scout or lightweight and compact bolt guns. I am looking at the Ruger American/Bolt Ranch rifles in 7.62x39 or 300blkout, and a few scouts in .308 including the Mossberg MVP Scout in .308 as it takes AR10 mags which I have already.
    But, I am most intrigued by a Tikka T3X Lite Compact, that I would want to shorten the barrel to 16.5” like fella in a video I just saw did. Glass would be my Burris XTRII 1-5X, but for a .308 I’d be tempted to go 1-8x, or maybe 2.5-10x.

As a post scriptum let me just say that I will likely also eventually get a lever gun! I am too black rifle heavy and it is time to trade a few in for other fun and practical boom sticks!

edit: p.s. ii, the other category that I want to fill is what I'll call the "unoffensive semi-auto rifle" category, the "USAR" if you will...so I'll also be looking to eventually getting an M1A scout squad, Saiga, SCR, type of rifle...this seems like a great solution to have around to placate today's easily offended world of hoplophobes.
    Last edited by DacoRoman; 09-15-2019 at 02:59 PM.

I really want to like the MVP scout, but unless they've changed the bolt it's a no-go. Last I saw there was a flap on the bolt that flopped down via gravity to fit between the feed lips of the mags and pick up a cartridge. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd be really tempted to get one if the bolt didn't scare me so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

I really want to like the MVP scout, but unless they've changed the bolt it's a no-go. Last I saw there was a flap on the bolt that flopped down via gravity to fit between the feed lips of the mags and pick up a cartridge. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I'd be really tempted to get one if the bolt didn't scare me so much.

that does look hideous!

hold one, I'm going to start a new thread in the rifles and carbines section!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Threaded barrels on semi auto rifles are fine in Kalifornia - what matters is what is threaded on them. Muzzle Brake = GO, Flash
    Hider/Suppressor = No Go.

User Tag List