Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 for interstate overlanding/remote 4x4 camping? Or maybe a Lever Action?

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    The 30-30 lever gun is the other way I could go...yes, I've been debating between that and a 12 gauge.

This long gun, whether 30-30 or shotgun, would be my primary personal defense weapon while out in the boondocks overlanding, so your last comment doesn't really apply to my situation.
    Unlikely, but if you think you're going to be someplace where you may need to take a longer shot, a .30-30 loaded with LEVERevolution with a low-power variable optic on top is hard to beat as a weapon for use from 0-200 yards that is legal in most jurisdictions. In theory the FTX bullet can turn a .30-30 into a 300-yard gun, but it drops fast between 200 and 300 (if zero'ed at 200, Hornady say 12.1" of drop at 300). Still, compared to a good 'ole soft point, FTXs really stretch the old girl.

One of these days, when I'm not doing anything important, I'll send my pre-Remington Marlin 336 out to have the barrel chopped back to 16", mount a LPV scout scope, and work up a FTX load on the hot side that I can use to ring plates at 300 with for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    No worries, thanks for the input. LTT as in Langdon Tactical? I'm starting to think that it may be worth just going full monty and getting the Langdon T.
    Yes. I just finished piecing mine together and if I did it over I would go the Langdon route... It's not that it saves much money so much as it would save a lot of time and aggravation.

My go damn near anywhere CONUS legally travel gun is a Steyr Scout Rifle in .308 topped with a Aimpoint T2 2moa.
    In anti-gun states a bolt action isn't nearly as interesting to LE as a "tactical shotgun".
    While slower to shoot you get faster reloads, plenty of punch and much longer reach.
    I've found that most current production lever actions are rather fragile and easily jammed up if you don't keep them clean (too much cost cutting measures in them these days).

Attachment 42468
    Last edited by JodyH; 09-12-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My go damn near anywhere CONUS legally travel gun is a Steyr Scout Rifle in .308 topped with a Aimpoint T2 2moa.
    In anti-gun states a bolt action isn't nearly as interesting to LE as a "tactical shotgun".
    While slower to shoot you get faster reloads, plenty of punch and much longer reach.
    I've found that most current production lever actions are rather fragile and easily jammed up if you don't keep them clean (too much cost cutting measures in them these days).
    That's a good idea. Some bolts can accept high cap magazines. My Savage has a 10rnd mag. Though, if buying for this purpose, I'd go with something less tactical looking than the Scout.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post

Attachment 42468
    I like a bolt. I also like a single-shot for it's compactness.

For instance here is a schnabel fore-end Ruger No. 1 in .257 Roberts (one of the best cartridges ever made) - https://ruger.com/products/no1/specSheets/21318.html

And here is a Ruger Scout rifle: https://ruger.com/products/scoutRifl...eets/6803.html

And to me what is interesting here - the No. 1 gets a 20" barrel and full-length fore-end, yet comes in 1-2.5" shorter than the 16.1" barreled Scout and roughly the same weight.

Of course I was all about that, until I saw that Ruger is offering a Scout in .450 Bushmaster - which in the wood stocked flavor reminds me something fierce of a Enfield No. 5 Jungle Carbine...

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 632
Size:  14.6 KB

A Garand "T26 Tanker" from Fulton-Armory would be a pretty safe bet as well.
    Wood stocked, 8 round clip fed .30-06 is nothing to sneeze at, overall length of 38" and weighs in at 8.5# with a 18" barrel.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

My inclination is towards a lever, Ive just never gotten very interested in shotguns for much of anything beyond shooting clays. Rifles always seemed more all around useful for the places ive lived.

Any of the winchester 94s post 64 are reasonably priced in general. At around the late 80s they went to the angle eject style which makes scope mounting very simple, I rather like them. If no interest in a scope, the top eject guns are fine for a side mount receiver sight. its a simple home job to install. Slings are simple, but many used guns may already be set up with one. Front sights are simple to change if desired.

I havent heard of any problems with later Winchester levers and reliability or cleaning, not sure what the issue would be. The basic Winchester 94 action is generally very reliable, and can go very long periods without much attention. They arent nearly as difficult to take apart as many claim, but then theres really little reason to take them apart in any event. Cleaning is simple with a muzzle guide. Its interesting that people often mention cleaning from the muzzle as a detriment with the Winchester 94, but not with M1 Garands and carbines, savage 99s, and a bunch of other guns. Its just a non-issue to me.

Marlins are OK, just dont interest me for a number of reasons, after owning a number of them over time.

The leverevolution ammo sales pitch is largely based on smoke and mirrors. They used different sight heights and zero distances as well as the worst possible BC bullet to compare with to make it look better. Using identical sight height and zero figures, and a bullet or load from almost any other maker, the differences are noticeably less than stated. Its fairly simple to zero about 2 or 2 1/2" high at 100 yards and have a very workable trajectory to about 250 yards without much trouble. 200 is just about right on with most loads so zeroed.
    Last edited by Malamute; 09-12-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

I think you're kind of into "six of one, half a dozen of the other" territory. I've got either a 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .357 levergun that fits our boondocking trips. The shotgun has better ammo versatility. You can carry birdshot and such to use it as a foraging tool. The rifle has better range, although to be honest in real world applications, I doubt I'll ever need to zap somebody at 150 yards.

I would offer that you could buy a used Marlin 336, a red dot, a Hill People Gear levergun light mount, a buttstock ammo carrier, and a bunch of 30-30 ammo for the price that 1301 will run you.

One super handy option is the Marlin 336Y, the cut-down, youth model of the 336.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Although there is much hate out there these days in the tactical community - I would also say a M14 pattern rifle would give you a lot of capability. You will have plenty of power, range, accuracy, ability to lay down fire, and properly configured will give you 50 state legality.

Site Supporter
    Having not researched the legalities in any of the relevant states, I would think something fed with a detachable box magazine would be advantageous. If the gun must be kept unloaded, then the speed with which it can be loaded s directly proportional to its usefulness. While I cannot comment on their reliability, I recall Remington making magazine-fed pump shotguns.

If you go this route, pay careful attention to the manner in which each state defines a loaded gun. In some states, the magazine must be in a separate compartment of a container, or a separate container, from the gun. In other really strict states, having a gun with compatible ammo anywhere in the same vehicle is considered loaded.

User Tag List