Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 1301 for interstate overlanding/remote 4x4 camping? Or maybe a Lever Action?

Beretta 1301 for interstate overlanding/remote 4x4 camping? Or maybe a Lever Action?

Hello everybody.

I'm looking to get a good long gun for overlanding (fancy name for extended, remote, 4x4 touring and camping).

I detest CA's politics but I'll probably go through CA, including to visit some family. Mostly it will be through my home state of AZ, New Mexico, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and maybe Montana.

As such I need a CA (and Colorado, now that I think of it) legal gun.

Handgun wise I'm considering carrying my G26, with no mag extensions, unloaded and locked in a box when traveling in the truck through CA. Incidentally, I think once one is camped one can open carry at a remote campsite in CA, although I'm still checking on this particular aspect of things. Anyway, that's incidental.

The reason for this post is that I think having a long gun, that can be kept unloaded in the back of the 4runner while driving, would be a great option.

A shotgun would address self defense needs for anything from snakes to black bears, to alien rabid elk, to would be murderous Manson Hippies. In other words, as we all know, a shotgun would be very versatile. This would be a vehicle weapon so I'm not that concerned about humping heavy shells around.

And, I really would like a semi-auto shotgun, just because.

I am thinking of the Beretta 1301. It seems like it's earlier issues have been addressed, either by Beretta or by Aridus Industries, et.al., but I'm still researching this and still going through the 1301 thread in this forum as well speak.

I need to confirm, but it also seems at this point that it is CA legal; still have to look up Colorado. I am still looking what kind of mag extension, if any, would be legal, but the stock 5+1 capacity would be fine.

Any of you know with any CA compliance issues? I would not put a pistol grip on it..I may want one of those regular Magpul shotgun stocks which ought not cause a problem.

Any Colorado issues? I would be surprised, but this still needs to be formally checked.

Of course, I am also wondering if, in fact, a Lever Action in 44 mag, or 30-30 would be better. Problem is, I have no familiarity with Lever Guns, and I want something that is GTG out of the box. I don't have the inclination to get a base gun and put custom money into it to build it out.

Where am I going wrong with my thinking, what am I missing, what else should I be looking at?

I put my thoughts into the crucible of pistol-forum.com, to be vetted and purified.

Here is a gratuitous picture of my simple overlanding rig. I'm trying to keep it very lightweight.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.

Beretta 1301 for interstate overlanding/remote 4x4 camping? Or maybe a Lever Action?

Great photos. Love your rig. If you were a site member you could participate in our Overlanding thread. Looks like you have a lot to offer. Lots of 4Runner guys there too.

As far as a travel gun for Kali a semi-auto shotgun like the 1301 or an 11-87 is a perfect choice.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 09-10-2019 at 09:32 PM.

I say shotgun. More versatile, easier to find ammo (although .30-30 is very easy to find) better big animal protection imo. Plus you could find a clay range in travels
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

My Benelli M1S90 (straight grip stock, 18.5" rifle sight bbl) was my long gun choice for a recent very long overland adventure in my 4Runner. No legal issues involved for me, it is just my first choice. I ran the gun in 3-gun for most of 15 years so I have a lot of comfort in it. Brenneke slugs for bear country, flight control 00 buck for any other threat.

Love the roof rig!
    Last edited by fatdog; 09-10-2019 at 09:40 PM.

And maybe even the Comp, that sorta looks like a field gun:
    Name:  Main_Banner_1301_Comp-1.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  24.8 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-10-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    Great photos. Love your rig. If you were a site member you could participate in our Overlanding thread. Looks like you have a lot to offer. Lots of 4Runner guys there too.

As far as a travel gun for Kali a semi-auto shotgun like the 1301 or an 11-87 is a perfect choice.
    Many thanks.

I have actually just started really getting into the whole overlanding thing but I have a moderate amount of wheeling experience. I'll have to look into becoming a site member, that's really cool that there is an overlanding thread.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the boom stick choice as well. I'll take a look at the 11-87 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    I say shotgun. More versatile, easier to find ammo (although .30-30 is very easy to find) better big animal protection imo. Plus you could find a clay range in travels
    good points, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    My Benelli M1S90 (straight grip stock, 18.5" rifle sight bbl) was my long gun choice for a recent very long overland adventure in my 4Runner. No legal issues involved for me, it is just my first choice. I ran the gun in 3-gun for most of 15 years so I have a lot of comfort in it. Brenneke slugs for bear country, flight control 00 buck for any other threat.

Love the roof rig!
    Thanks!

I'll have to look at that Benelli as well. Where did your overland adventure take you?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    And maybe even the Comp, that sorta looks like a field gun:
    Name:  Main_Banner_1301_Comp-1.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  24.8 KB
    Yeah...and there's something practical and familiar about a vent. rib sight set up..I've actually never had a shotgun with a tactical sight set up, that'll be a lot of back and forth for me trying to decide, LOL...although I would like to potentially go with an Aimpoint T2 on it maybe, in which case the tactical version would be the way to go. I'm planning on getting this at Christmas so I have some time to go back and forth with myself, hehe.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by DacoRoman View Post
    Many thanks.

I have actually just started really getting into the whole overlanding thing but I have a moderate amount of wheeling experience. I'll have to look into becoming a site member, that's really cool that there is an overlanding thread.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the boom stick choice as well. I'll take a look at the 11-87 as well.
    I’m in the same boat overlanding wise. As far as boomsticks go the 1301 seems to be favored by many here as well as the Benellis. I’ve run a 11-87 for years and it’s been good to me but other people have had issues. As far as out screwed up laws in Kalifornia go you are pretty much good to go with any semi-auto tube fed shotgun with one evil feature are OK - so you can go with a pistol grip if you want (but it must also have a full non collapsing stock).

User Tag List