Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is the ACOG dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    For civilians, having a magnified optic on a carbine does not make a ton of sense. There is virtually no need for additional magnification in any practical situation within 200 yds barring any sort of WROL scenario.
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is no need for magnification to make hits out to 200 but in “practical” use there is a real need for magnification to locate and identify / discriminate threats,
    I have made both sides of this argument myself in the past. The arguments seem to go:
    1) civilians don’t need to shoot past 200 yards and you can do that accurately without magnification
    2) yes, you can make hits out to 200 yards without magnification but the magnification is needed for target ID and/or threat assessment
    3) (and this is the argument not yet made here) outside of civil unrest or societal collapse you may well have a hard time justifying shooting someone at even 50 or 100 yards, so we’re back to not *needing* that magnification again.
    4) and so on

Personally, I wouldn’t mind having an LPVO on a carbine in the safe, up it wouldn’t be the one I’d necessarily keep with me after a hurricane. That said, by “old busted” still wears a TA33 and both times I’ve packed up the family and left town for the storm that poor old 6720 flattop conversion, quad-rail-handguarded, TA33-wearing (even with the burnt out tritium) old busted is the one that’s made the trip while suppressed SBR new hotness and slim-railed ultralight new-new-hotness both stay behind.

Do I think I’ll really need that limited 3x? Nope. Do I feel hamstrung by it? Nope. Do I envision a post-hurricane scenario where I might find myself happy to have it? Yep. Do I just feel way more comfortable with my nearly 20-year-old carbine with thousands of rounds through it, despite having an obsolete optic on it? You betcha.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The 3x and 3.5x have much better eye relief and are better general purpose optics IME.

The 1.5x will have a continued market with people who have astigmatism.
    My wife's carbine has a 1.5x, my boy's carbine has a 3x.
    Both of them can shoot very well, neither one of them are "into" guns to the point they can keep track of the idiosyncrasies of various accessories.
    ACOG's are awesome for grab and go, no on/off switches, no batteries, no brightness adjustments.
    My M4 carbine has a MRO, my MR762 has a Elcan 1.5-6x because I am a gun nerd and do keep on top of stuff.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

RDS look no where near as clear as the ACOG to me.

http://instagram.com/p/B2Zt3cLgEQ8/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

I wanted to like the TA33, but couldn't get past the FOV. I really liked everything else about it.

@Hizzie,

How is the 1.5x ACOG in low light or shooting from dark to light? I heard the reticle can washout in those situations.

My main "grab and go" AR has a 4X TA01 with the original BDC 5.56 ranging reticle, and a custom mount for a Burris FF on top. I don't consider myself particularly handicapped at all with this setup.

It is not hard at all to make hits on IPSC sized targets out to 600.

Doing it over, I would likely opt for a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10, but in the hands of a competent shooter, a 4X ACOG is a pretty capable piece of gear and not nearly the handicap that the internet chatter makes them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    @Hizzie,

How is the 1.5x ACOG in low light or shooting from dark to light? I heard the reticle can washout in those situations.
    I actually ran it during the night shoot with Presscheck Consulting. The only deficiencies observed with my technique/skills, none with the optic.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    My main "grab and go" AR has a 4X TA01 with the original BDC 5.56 ranging reticle, and a custom mount for a Burris FF on top. I don't consider myself particularly handicapped at all with this setup.

It is not hard at all to make hits on IPSC sized targets out to 600.

Doing it over, I would likely opt for a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10, but in the hands of a competent shooter, a 4X ACOG is a pretty capable piece of gear and not nearly the handicap that the internet chatter makes them out to be.

I’ve shot at 600 exactly one time. Went to probe with a Bushmaster carbine and TA01, used the 600 hash mark and wore the target out. Sold me on BDC.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

It’s totally dead.

If anyone has a Triangle/Delta Reticle ACOG that needs to be disposed of, PM me. I’ll send you a shipping address.

Like wise I hear the Trijicon Reflex is also dead. Triangle/Delta reticle Reflexes are also capable of being recycled with RevolverRob’s Obsolete Optics Recycling Service.

It seems to me like anyone that might take a hard hit and then find themselves in a fightfight might be well served by an ACOG. So if you ride in helicopters that might get shot down, trucks that might get blown up, or cars that might have to force a fleeing suspect vehicle off the road, that level of durability might be useful to you.

I have an irrational urge to get an M16A4 clone with an ACOG, beyond that I would never get one. But I can't really make an argument for them being a bad choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List