Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Reloading Powder Suggestions -

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but as finances allow you might consider a Chronograph. I consider one an absolute necessity (for me, at this point in what I do). I handloaded a long time without one, but it's a standard part of load development in what I do now and I can't recommend one enough.
    I use a Competition Electronics ProChrono and find it a value at around $120.00. (Midwayusa)
    Good call, and the rest of us were remiss not to have mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    So basically what I’m hearing is “buy the biggest tub of both you can find and stick to those until you run out. By then you’ll have a really good idea of what you’re doing and will probably be buying both again later since I’ll most likely have worked up a good load for both and consistency is king.”
    Unless your standards are as low as mine, I'd start with a pound of powder. Otherwise you're married to it for thousands of rounds. That said, I've found that just about any powder will produce acceptable velocity/accuracy for me. I'm using CSB-1 now, but my source for it no longer has any, so I'll switch to something else when it runs out.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but as finances allow you might consider a Chronograph. I consider one an absolute necessity
    I use a Competition Electronics ProChrono and find it a value at around $120.00. (Midwayusa)
    I've had a Competition Electronics chronograph since 1988. A couple of years ago it started giving me funky readings. I contacted Competition Electronics and they don't repair such old units, but they gave me a really good deal on a new one. I got the one with the digital link to my I-Phone. I have a record of all my chrono data on my phone. Pretty cool.

I started loading in 2014. I have to order powder online as there is no where close that sells supplies. My initial order included Tightgroup and Bullseye. I ordered TG for 9mm and BE for 38. I have never tried anything else. I wonder if I am missing out on something.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I started loading in 2014. I have to order powder online as there is no where close that sells supplies. My initial order included Tightgroup and Bullseye. I ordered TG for 9mm and BE for 38. I have never tried anything else. I wonder if I am missing out on something.
    What do you load for? You may not be missing out on anything at all. For example, if I was just loading 38special, I could be content with nothing but Bullseye for the rest of my life.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    What do you load for? You may not be missing out on anything at all. For example, if I was just loading 38special, I could be content with nothing but Bullseye for the rest of my life.

Chris
    I only load 9mm and 38.

I'm not certain if anyone one brought this up yet but since I see folks recommending multiple powders a word of caution. Always know with absolute certainty what powder you are loading with! Do not ever mistakenly use the wrong powder, very bad things happen.

A good friend of mine was at my club shooting. A buddy of his arrived and had with him a new 45/70 rifle. My friend commented on the rifle and his friend asked him if he wanted to try it. He did. The rifle blew up like a grenade and partially de-gloved the shooters support hand, sent shrapnel into his neck, face and upper arm. A number of years later his hand has some scarring but it about 90% recovered.

What happened. The owner of the 45/70, a reloader mistakenly used a pistol powder which had a burn rate WAY TOO FAST for a rifle. Attention to detail is a Must!

Side note: The incident made the local news. Reported as, "man shot at local range."
    Last edited by JohnO; 09-12-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I only load 9mm and 38.
    That's right. You said that in your post.

In that case, I'd stick with what you have. I doubt you'll gain much by changing powders unless you're trying to do something unusual for the cartridge.

Chris

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I'm not certain if anyone one brought this up yet but since I see folks recommending multiple powders a word of caution. Always know with absolute certainty what powder you are loading with!
    My system for this is to leave the power container next to the hopper, even if empty. All powders not being used are stored on shelves.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My system for this is to leave the power container next to the hopper, even if empty. All powders not being used are stored on shelves.
    And in some cases I have been marking them.
    This is the 20g press, and it is just going to do one thing with one powder. The 12g press next to it uses Clays instead of International, not that that could be conducive to a screw up, though in that case it would not likely cause a catastrophic problem.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List