Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning Reloading Powder Suggestions -

I learned on Unique, and it will produce acceptable loads in all of the calibers the OP mentioned, but the +/- 0.2-0.3 grain metering that the big flakes cause means it's harder to get consistent velocities than with other powders, at least when loading on a progressive press.

As clusterfrack mentioned, N320 is the hotness for ~130 PF 9mm. I've been extremely happily using it exclusively for several years. It meters well, produces single-digit velocity standard deviation, and is clean enough that I really only bother to clean guns every 1500-2500 rounds or so, and then only because I start to feel guilty. I've also tried CFE Pistol, and it works fine, but produces a bit more recoil impulse for any given velocity than N320, presumably due to the slower burn rate/higher charge weight. I did recently pick up a pound of Alliant Sport Pistol to try, since people on the Enos forum keep saying that it's performance equivalent to N320 for half the price, and I want to see for myself, but it's going to be a while before I find out, because I've still got a solid supply of loaded rounds of N320 and a powder measure full of N320 that will need to be emptied first.

And another thing...

For the cartridges you are focused on a single pound is gonna load between 1200-1500 cartridges. So it is not like picking out china patterns, just get a pound of something, soon enough it will be gone and you can decide.

And at this point your personality is probably inclined to look at the raft of options as a good thing, eventually you will probably be more inclined to just have a few.

At first, I would suggest picking one cartridge, one powder, one bullet, one primer...spend some time perfecting you technique and knowledge on loading.
    I would suggest starting with the 38 Special and a 158 grain bullet. For powder, I would use HP38...it will work for the 38 and the rest of you cartridges to start with. Once you get the hang of things, you can venture into other powders.
    I know we are in the world of electronic everything, but if you can find a good old fashioned real live Reloading Manual in book form it would be a good reference to have.

Awesome guys!

I think I値l get a pound of Unique and a pound of N320. I didn稚 mind spending a little more for the 320 since it seems folks report across the board that it meters really well.

I have reloading manuals for .38 Special and .45 ACP. But want to pick up a big book for reference.

For now, I値l focus on .45 since that is what I am shooting more of.

Now to pick out a press. Since I知 limited on space right now, I知 going to opt for a single stage to give myself utility (I also have a couple of rifles I might eventually load for), without hammering my budget.

I致e loaded .38 Special before using a good old Lee Loader, so I learned early on to batch things to save time and setup. I prefer that because it allows my OCD to have me check and double check everything.

Let us know if you can tell a difference in the brand of powder with loads at the same velocity.
    I can't, but I read Princess and the Pea stories all the time.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Let us know if you can tell a difference in the brand of powder with loads at the same velocity.
    I'm surprised to hear you say that you can't tell the difference, but I imagine a lot of the perceived difference depends on which powders you're comparing, and in what size/weight of gun.

N320 vs Titegroup in a big, heavy gun? Probably the only difference you'd notice is that Titegroup is hot and dirty vs. N320 being [relatively] cool and clean.

N320 vs Unique (or something even slower) in a small, light gun? Noticeable difference in perceived recoil, at least for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    I've not tested it side by side, but if you accept that the weight of the powder can contribute to felt recoil (as an additive effect to the weight of the bullet, something I've seen claimed before), then two loads with identical velocity could "feel" different if one was with a fast powder (less powder weight) and the other was with a slower powder (more weight).

In mag handgun loads, there is a qualitative difference in feel between faster powders like Unique or 2400 compared to H110, with the latter being blastier and flashier. However, I haven't noticed a difference in felt recoil.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I'm surprised to hear you say that you can't tell the difference, but I imagine a lot of the perceived difference depends on which powders you're comparing, and in what size/weight of gun.

N320 vs Titegroup in a big, heavy gun? Probably the only difference you'd notice is that Titegroup is hot and dirty vs. N320 being [relatively] cool and clean.

N320 vs Unique (or something even slower) in a small, light gun? Noticeable difference in perceived recoil, at least for me.
    Titegroup is smoky, smelly, and dirty. I love it (because of the price, not recommended for a beginning reloader).
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Now to pick out a press. Since I知 limited on space right now, I知 going to opt for a single stage to give myself utility (I also have a couple of rifles I might eventually load for), without hammering my budget.
    When I got started reloading, I was doing it in a 1br apartment with my Lee turret press connected to a short board that I c-clamped to my desk. That worked for a couple years until I bought a house and built a proper work bench. You can run a turret press like a single stage or you can run it like a proper turret if you want speed. Point is, I don't see a benefit in the hair shirt of a single stage unless your needs can only be met by one (overly large cartridge or major case forming activities).

If you are truly tight on space, the Lee hand press works. I have one, but mainly use it for flaring case mouths for rifle cast bullet loads. I haven't used it for legit loading in over a decade. That said, maybe I should take it to the range and do some on-site load development...

Chris

I started reloading with the W.H. English Pak Tool, a small compound leverage hand tool, and a set of Lee dippers.
    I soon graduated to a Rockchucker on a pedestal mount with measure, scale, and components on a card table. When not in use, I draped a throw over the press, folded the table, and put the accessories in a cabinet. You can squeeze a pretty good outfit into a corner.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List