Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning Reloading Powder Suggestions -

Site Supporter
    HP38 or W231 or - if you are willing to pay more - N320. When powder gets rare - you can use shotgun powders for pistol. I am a big fan of WSF for 9mm. Primers are they key.

It has been mentioned but not blurted right out, HP-38 and Win 231 are supposed to be the same thing and the data on the Hodgdon site is identical. This may increase your odds of a steady supply.

I have been using Clays, my main motivation is that I use it for 12g so I have a supply around (8 pounds is a lotta pistol powder, it is sorta the reorder point for shotguns). It is a very popular shotgun powder, so maybe that also creates market demand and production levels. OTOH shotgunners use a shitload so there is demand if supplies are low. It is also inexpensive. Others here are vastly more knowledgeable than I am (I have been doing this for 45 years, but not at the same level as others here) so somebody might have a good reason why it is not as good as I think it is.

Also, Midway is a fine company and I like them a great deal, but you may want to price shop Powder Valley, they have 8 pounds of my Clays for $139. Also once when I tried to order powder from Midway they wanted an extra fee for drop shipping, and that just seemed like a goofy concept to charge extra for (they said they cannot inventory powder at their facility) and I ordered from Powder Valley.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-10-2019 at 06:31 PM.

LE Forum Moderator BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I like CFE-Pistol for smaller handgun cartridges, pretty much any common auto-loader. I used Winchester Super Target for .45 with really good results but ran out during The Great Powder Shortage and branched out a bit.

It's not great for large case volume cartridges like .38/.35 (unless you're loading wadcutters, it's fine for that). Too much free space left over and it becomes position sensitive.

For no particular reason I like the Accurate line of powders for most revolver rounds. Unique isn't the easiest to meter but works well for many loads. H110 is my go to for holy-shit-that's-a-magnum loads or Ruger Only loads. I'm rapidly tiring of that sort of thing, though.
    L'otters are not afraid.
    WWOMJD?

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Maybe with talented students I would lube up with baby oil and then go at it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    H110 is my go to for holy-shit-that's-a-magnum loads or Ruger Only loads.
    I will probably buy in to some more to have it around and for 300BO. And if I have the powder, maybe I will buy a .410, because that is the way my lizard brain works on this stuff...

LE Forum Moderator BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I will probably buy in to some more to have it around and for 300BO. And if I have the powder, maybe I will buy a .410, because that is the way my lizard brain works on this stuff...
    The Wheels of Justification...
    L'otters are not afraid.
    WWOMJD?

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Maybe with talented students I would lube up with baby oil and then go at it.

I use Unique for all the positive reasons listed.

A point of caution, powder selection / choice can be akin to the 9 / 45 debate, best holster, best carry ammo, best gun for CCW.....

Pick one that will cover desired calibers and stock up. Powder is one of the many variables. Brass mfg, bullet profile / type / weight / powder coated / lead ( hardness) / jacketed / enclosed base / exposed base / etc..... are enough variables to tweak and find the perfect load.
    SWYNTS

I started reloading during the 1970's using mostly Bullseye and Unique. I still use Bullseye for .38 Special and .45 ACP. I use Titegroup for 9mm now. In the past it was said that you could load almost any caliber with Unique. It's pretty dirty though.

I get my powder and primers from Powder Valley.

Site Supporter
    Using BE-86 and titegroup now. Started with unique and bullseye. Unique in 9mm is pretty wild literally fills the case and you are compressing the powder.

During one of the shortages I would go to my local place with my Lee reloading manual and look up powders that they had. I have some odd balls from that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You guys are doing a great job advising him, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The Wheels of Justification...
    I am the guy who bought a Ruger American and a PSA pistol in 300BO and a set of dies and a cutoff saw with a jig and a second 650, pretty much just because I ruined some 223 casings, so buying a .410 and a loader cause I have some gunpowder is just like a two foot putt...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 09-10-2019 at 08:21 PM.

User Tag List