Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Beginning Reloading Powder Suggestions -

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I don’t like plated bullets, especially if they are soft lead. Soft bullets can behave unpredictability as you approach max charge weight. Plus, they make barrels dirty and shave lead when you load.
    Plated bullets? I've never had that happen with Xtreme or Berry. It's been more of a problem with powder coated bullets.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Plated bullets? I've never had that happen with Xtreme or Berry. It's been more of a problem with powder coated bullets.
    Never shot Xtreme, but I agree regarding Berry's - I've never had them shave lead or plating. I definitely had to adjust how much I was belling cases (more) when I switched to coated in order to prevent that, though.

Tried Acme, didn't like the profile of their 124 grain 9mm round nose at the time (apparently they've since switched to a profile that's more short/tight chamber friendly, so YMMV), switched to Blue Bullets 125 grain truncated cone @1.100" OAL over 4.0 grains of N320, got satisfactory results, and haven't looked back. (That load chronos ~131 PF for me, and I've been able to hit poppers with it at 50 yards in matches, so I figure accuracy is good enough. Might theoretically be able to tune it to be better than that, but I haven't bothered.)

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don’t like plated bullets, especially if they are soft lead. Soft bullets can behave unpredictability as you approach max charge weight. Plus, they make barrels dirty and shave lead when you load.
    I've used a lot of Xtreme plated bullets in .38, .357 mag, .45 Auto, and .45 Colt. If you're shaving the plating, bell the brass a bit more, but it's not a problem I've had. I've not noticed them being dirty at all.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I will add I had great results with Bayou coated bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I’ve had coated bullets that were soft and did that also. As BBI said you need to bell more with these, but in a high throughput loading session, soft lead still results in some shaved or deformed bullets, which can cause malfunctions.

I don’t see the point of plates bullets now that there are such high quality coated ones. The coating is thicker, more durable, and more lubricious.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

One should treat plated bullets like swaged pure lead. Because that's basically what they are with a thin copper plate. Some of the "thick plated" for open or major loads are better, but Extreme ruined me on plated. I get shotgun patterns instead of groups. If you try to push a normal plated bullet like a jacketed, you are going to very disappointed.

Site Supporter
    Older shotgun shooters who reload often have large quantities of shotgun powders like Red Dot, Green Dot, Blue Dot, Herco, Unique, and 2400. 2400 is used for 410 shells. All are useful. I am sitting on a large quantity of these powders, all of which I bought from estates or from shops who bought them. I paid very low prices. Hence, over time others can do the same. Also, many good deals are to be had when buying used presses. I have bought many that were used either not at all or were used sparingly.

When Lee designed the Classic Turret Press, their engineers outdid themselves. Consider one of these in addition to all others. Ditto for the Lee Classic traditional single stage press.

2400 is a slow powder and excels for loading the magnum handgun calibers. Too, it meters well. Because it's a slow powder, heavier charges are used. Therefore, it is almost impossible to double charge a case. Powder would overflow the case. Win 231 and 2400 would satisfy most needs. 231 is on the fast end of the spectrum with 2400 on the slow end. Unique is in the middle. It is highly versatile.

Random thoughts having reloaded shotgun for 50 yrs and switched over to pistol about 7 yrs ago. One must be OCD about recipes. Unique is problematic on consistent drop weights, but have used it a lot starting out. While Clays can be used for some pistol loads, mistakes are somewhat unforgiving. Chronos are helpful, just buy a name brand. My shooting group compared 4 diff. brands including the lab radar and no significant variance. IMO, why load max or near max loads? Simply cost more per round and the hole is the same size on paper, so don't abuse your gun or self. I like Xtreme plated and have had no problems. Got to avoid over crimping though. I think that is where some get into problems. Also like Bayou bullets, just have to add a little more bell to the case, not a big deal. My current go to powder for pistol is BE86. Use to be a commercial powder with characteristics similar to Bullseye. Contains a flash suppressant. Stay safe.

As others have said, you can load 38 spl, 45 acp and 9x19 with one powder. I use Alliant American Select for all three but there are others that work just as well. HP38 might be one but I have no experience with it. Bullseye is dirty and Unique doesn't meter well.

357 requires something else if you want the 1200 fps velocity it was designed for. You can however down load 357 to 750 fps (cowboy loads) but then it's just 38 velocity so what's the point.

Alliant 2400 is a good 357 high velocity powder. I wouldn't buy too much of it tho because it's uses are limited in handgun cartridges. I purchased 8 lbs of it years ago when I loaded a lot of 30 carbine and 357. I don't load any 357 anymore and very little 30 carbine. I'll probably die with about 4 lbs of it.
    Last edited by Borderland; 10-20-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List