Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Beginning Reloading Powder Suggestions -

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post

I donít like plated bullets, especially if they are soft lead. Soft bullets can behave unpredictability as you approach max charge weight. Plus, they make barrels dirty and shave lead when you load.
    Plated bullets? I've never had that happen with Xtreme or Berry. It's been more of a problem with powder coated bullets.
    I am Jack's complete lack of outrage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Plated bullets? I've never had that happen with Xtreme or Berry. It's been more of a problem with powder coated bullets.
    Never shot Xtreme, but I agree regarding Berry's - I've never had them shave lead or plating. I definitely had to adjust how much I was belling cases (more) when I switched to coated in order to prevent that, though.

Tried Acme, didn't like the profile of their 124 grain 9mm round nose at the time (apparently they've since switched to a profile that's more short/tight chamber friendly, so YMMV), switched to Blue Bullets 125 grain truncated cone @1.100" OAL over 4.0 grains of N320, got satisfactory results, and haven't looked back. (That load chronos ~131 PF for me, and I've been able to hit poppers with it at 50 yards in matches, so I figure accuracy is good enough. Might theoretically be able to tune it to be better than that, but I haven't bothered.)

LE Forum Moderator BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I donít like plated bullets, especially if they are soft lead. Soft bullets can behave unpredictability as you approach max charge weight. Plus, they make barrels dirty and shave lead when you load.
    I've used a lot of Xtreme plated bullets in .38, .357 mag, .45 Auto, and .45 Colt. If you're shaving the plating, bell the brass a bit more, but it's not a problem I've had. I've not noticed them being dirty at all.
    L'otters are not afraid.
    WWOMJD?

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    Maybe with talented students I would lube up with baby oil and then go at it.

Site Supporter
    I will add I had great results with Bayou coated bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Iíve had coated bullets that were soft and did that also. As BBI said you need to bell more with these, but in a high throughput loading session, soft lead still results in some shaved or deformed bullets, which can cause malfunctions.

I donít see the point of plates bullets now that there are such high quality coated ones. The coating is thicker, more durable, and more lubricious.
    "BJJ is sort of like nonconsensual yoga"
    "You donít really graduate from certain problems or certain thingsÖ like you always have to work on trigger control and pulling the trigger straight. " --Ben Stoeger 1/24/2018

One should treat plated bullets like swaged pure lead. Because that's basically what they are with a thin copper plate. Some of the "thick plated" for open or major loads are better, but Extreme ruined me on plated. I get shotgun patterns instead of groups. If you try to push a normal plated bullet like a jacketed, you are going to very disappointed.

User Tag List