Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions/opinions and advice on getting back into concealed carry

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Well, a few things.

Buy pants that fit with the holster you want to carry. Take your gun/holster combo to the dressing room with you when you try clothes on.

You aren't getting anywhere near 2200 fps from your revolver. That number on the side of the box is for a rifle length barrel. Depending on exactly which revolver you have your bullet is probably leaving the muzzle at around 1,000 fps. All you are really gaining is noise, flash, and recoil due to all the unburnt powder exiting the barrel. I've seen them work but wouldn't recommend them for self-defense based on terminal ballistics, difficulty in making good hits, and horrendous ergonomics.

https://comp-tac.com/mtac-premier-iw...ster-comp-tac/ has been very comfortable for me for IWB carry of a full sized Glock and Sig. They are more expensive than Alien or Crossbreed but the difference in quality is readily apparent when compared side to side and the comfort is much better.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like if you decide you want to carry OWB you'll have to rethink the sizing on your shirts. I generally wear polo shirts that my wife tells me are one size too large. They easily conceal my IWB CZ P07, but back in the day when I carried a Ruger SP101 OWB, the same set-up worked just as well. I don't think the slightly too-large shirts look stupid, but then I don't really care if they do.
    Well, neither do I if anyone else would take into consideration of why you’re wearing that long of a shirt the first place… LOL. And considering since I do have sort of a gut in my older age, that doesn’t really help matters either… LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can get away with jeans and t-shirt, then I would strongly suggest either OWB or IWB belt carry of the Ruger. And by that, I mean a legitimate carry system involving a real gun belt and holster combo that would probably cost nearly half what the Ruger did. I would suggest AIWB, but I know you mentioned a bit of a gut. Look for heavier weight shirts with patterns or darker colors. If you can find an IWB holster that you can live with, then shirt length is obviously less of a concern. One thing that can potentially mitigate the discomfort of a gun in or on the waistband is wearing Under Armour or similar compression under shirts. Gives a layer between the gun and your skin, prevents trapping of the outer garment, wicks sweat, and other advantages. If you pick a darker color, it can help with concealment as well. Everyday concealed carry is a definite commitment and can require a lot of experimentation to find a working formula. I started out 22 years ago with a P220 in an OWB holster with a vest, and over the years have settled on AIWB with an untucked shirt. It works for me pretty much no matter what I’m wearing, as long as I can maintain the untucked cover garment. If I have to tuck in my shirt, then a J-frame revolver gets the nod, either in a pocket or on the ankle. But I am making some significant compromises when I do that. For your purposes, realize that pocket carry is going to be virtually inaccessible while seated in a vehicle.

Finally, I applaud your attempts to get back to carrying and wish you luck in finding a workable solution. Whatever you decide on, pressure test it and train with it.
    Last edited by LJP; 09-10-2019 at 11:37 AM.

In your shoes, I'd try out the JM Universal IWB, which is available for the LC9:

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/IWBU.html

It will allow you to adjust position and cant...even cross draw...to see if you can find a workable solution.

If that works while on your feet, but you can't abide the gun inside your belt line while driving, then consider supplementing it with the Carjacker Crossdraw from Andrews Leather:

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Wear the Andrews rig while driving, then any time you stop, move the gun to the IWB rig and stow the CC holster.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 09-10-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I OWB’ed a full-sized 1911 pistol inside a posted non-permissive-environment last night. (I was legal.) Cover garment was an untucked shirt, not overly large. Lighting, inside, was quite good.

The holster was Kydex material, and I think it may be a JM Custom Kydex OWB. Zero cant. (I have lost track of some of my holsters’ makers, especially those acquired pre-owned.)

I would have realized better concealment with a holster worn closer to 0330-0400, with a bit of cant, but if I am going to be seated for long periods, I like vertical, no cant, holsters at 0230-0300.

Yes, the 1911 was too big to be truly deeply concealed, with the cover garment I was wearing. I could have either carried a smaller pistol, such as my G42, or worn a larger, more-full-cut cover garment, constructed with thicker fabric.

I cannot visualize the true three-dimensional size of the LC9, as I have never handled one, but I bet it is substantially smaller than my full-sized 1911 pistols.

I am not trying to convince anyone to buy and conceal a 1911. I am saying that if I can conceal a full-sized 1911, a smaller weapon, such as a compact nine, in a well-made OWB holster, should be a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Rex G; 09-10-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

At my former employer, hypothetically......

My P30 rode in a Smart Carry for several hundred thousand miles. Dress attire was a tucked in button down, and Jean's. Gun access with the Smart Carry is certainly possible while seated, but not ideal. My concearns at the time were rest stops, possible employee conflict, after hours emergency runs, perceived value of cargo, etc. Smart Carry works great as long as you use a jock powder, and accept it's limitations on draw speed. At the time, my normal AIWB draw was around 1.3, with the SC, draw was increased to <2 while standing. Seated was maybe 3. Another point of thought is places you may be forbidden to carry in, either by law or company policy. How easily can the firearm / holster be removed and placed securely in storage. A magnet inside the vehicle is not safe, and a really bad idea.
    Taking a break from social media.

I think @RJ would be a good resource for this question. He has a good training journal that you should check out too.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    For a cover garment, you can consider a light weight vest like the Tropical Weight from Concealed Carry Clothiers - https://www.concealedcarry.com/produ...cealment-vest/

I'm originally from Texas and I start sweating like a whore in church when the temperature gets above 73-degrees. This is my go to cover garment, which lets me hide a full-size 1911 in an OWB holster under it, without any issues.
    I guess I could reconsider one of those. I just never thought too much about them after a good friend of mine referred to one of those concealment vests as a “shoot me first “ vest… LOL.

FWIW - I’ve never found anything more comfortable for driving than a shoulder holster. A Galco Classic Lite could work for you- https://www.galcogunleather.com/clas..._8_2_1057.html -

It takes some experimentation, but a shoulder holster with a vest over it works well for CC when driving. It also allows you to do the other things you might need to do, bend over to inspect tires, fill the truck, etc. Things that if you aren't careful a OWB holster might be exposed during.
    I bet that would be about the most comfortable way to conceal carry, and it pretty much covers- like you said, both carry needs for in and out of the vehicle. It would just require the use of an over shirt, though.

In the summertime down here, it’s just too flippin’ hot down here with this wonderful humidity and for just over 6 1/2 years of living here, because of the fact that I am so hot natured, my tolerance to this humidity really hasn’t gone up all that much..lol. I pretty much only wear dry fit T-shirts all year long except for between late November till the end of April. That’s about the only time I can wear actual cotton T-shirts not sweat to death. I may end up going that route because I’d really like to get back into carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    IMHO,
    In broad strokes, you should consider dressing around the gun. If you are going to pocket carry the LC9, then buy pants that have pockets deep and loose enough to do that. That may require a bit a shopping. Wear a belt that is heavy enough to hold up your pants with the gun in the pocket.

When you figure out the pants/pocket configuration that works for you, buy multiple pairs of those pants/shorts. An LC9 in a quality pocket holster should conceal enough that you should not have to ya have a shirt tail or jacket extending over the pocket to conceal the firearm.

PS If you are comfortable providing some measurements-we could likely give you much better advice. i.e. I am 6'2'', 200ish, 44L coat, typically 34-36 in the waist, 34 inseam.
    I’m 6 foot, weight’s about 270, 40 inch waist- work jeans are a 42 for the IWB I was doing; have to wear a belt no matter what with these jeans or I’ll end up looking like a gangster wannabe...lol. Inseam is 34. Can’t remember my coat size but most 2XL T-shirts fit pretty good, just short.

I’ll have to shop yes, but what brands of pants are there that you know of that have pretty big front pockets? I don’t know if you’re familiar with them or not but those darker blue wrangler denim cargo shorts that Walmart used to carry along time ago- those have some pretty big wide pockets in them that I could conceal carry my little Ruger even with its extended magazine really well. I mean, I even have three or four pairs of those HK tactical shorts that came from England that have front pockets that are just a little bit smaller than those. That’s how big they were. They were great, but I “outgrew” them a little and can’t find them anymore, even on Walmart.com. Lol.

Site Supporter
    Please believe me, I am not trying to be difficult. I live in KCMO where we have 90+ temps with 70% humidity all the time in the summer. If can conceal a G35 AIWB wearing a wicking/dry fit tshirt/tank covered by a squared bottomed wicking polo or wicking button up shirt and do so on a near daily basis during our business casual summers and after hours easy peasy, you can do the same pocket carrying an LC9 or OWB an LC9 and any number of other full sized guns.

These wicking NON COTTON garments are much cooler than cotton. They can be had in many colors, extended sizes and avoid the "shoot me first" vest issue to the extent it even exists.

I am not quite sure what we are missing. You are a casually dressed professional truck driver. Loose fitting comfortable clothing are an acceptable norm. Given you stated sizes, you can find the garments discussed above that will allow you to pocket and/or OWB carry with ease presuming a quality holster and belt. It is not so hot in OK that one cannot function dressed as above presuming very wide health/size parameters.

I strongly suspect that proof of concept garments that I am describing can be found at your local Wal-Mart.

edited to add based on your response:

Brands and "sizes" change so much at retailers. You literally have to go with your gear and try it out. If it works, buy what you will need for a while because they may not have that "style" the next year.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 09-10-2019 at 01:56 PM.

User Tag List