Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Questions/opinions and advice on getting back into concealed carry

Questions/opinions and advice on getting back into concealed carry

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    I have no frame of reference with the Springfield safety other than I know it goes down to the fire position. I would also ponder why carry a gun with a safety if you are not going to use said safety.
    Yes, down is fire, up is safe on the Springfield. On the Storms- if they were still type F’s then up would be fire and down would be safe.

Whether they’re F’s or G’s, the decocker still works the same way between them and the Springfield, with a quarter counter-clockwise turn of the decocker/safety lever. The only difference is that the decocker on the Springfield rotates from 9 o’clock(which is fire) to 8 o’clock when my PX4’s rotate from 10 o’clock to 9 o’clock.

But to hopefully answer your question, if Springfield would’ve made the XDE just like my type G storms, that would’ve been perfect but unfortunately they don’t. I guess the way they made it is to be able to market to both the 1911 guys and the guys like me to where you can carry it either with the hammer cocked/safety on, or in DA mode with hammer decocked, safety off.

I guess if I could’ve found a single-stack sub-compact or compact version of the PX4 that was closer to my price range then I probably would’ve gone that route instead but since I couldn’t find one, I figured the Springfield XDE was the closest, best candidate to get what I was after to replace the Ruger LC9S.

Like I said before- I’m not thrilled with it having a safety, but I’ll manage. It’s ultra low-profile so I would think that it would be fairly hard to do to accidentally kick the safety on, even when pocket carrying it.

But it’s just like with my PX4’s for example- the more I think about it, based on what a few other members said a while back about what beretta told me about the type F Storms being recommended to carry it with the safety on just because it had one, I really didn’t necessarily need to convert them from F’s to G’s. I coulda left them alone and just carried them the exact way I carry the Springfield but since those F levers are so big and gawky, and was kind of a little bit rough on the hands when racking the slide, I really like the stealth levers I have on them now. But they only make those as G levers so it is what it is, and I’m cool with that.

What I do have a frame of reference is the m9 style slide safety that is also on the PX4. I know from training those involved in the carrying/use of the M9 etc that the safety has to be flipped up to the fire position. I know that over several classes, shooters thought their gun was off safe when in fact it was not because Murphy is always in play. I know that vigorous slide manipulation can put that safety into the non fire position such that one must train in a manner that presumes such safety is in such a position and work that into every presentation/manipulation.
    Now that you mention it, that’s another good reason why I’m ok with my conversions because now, I don’t have to worry about it since if the levers do ever get flipped downward, they’re gonna spring right back up once whatever it is that’s holding them down lets go.

To Recap-IMHO for you based on your posts to date

1. A gun with sights you can see and a trigger you can manage
    2. Carried in a OWB quality holster mated to a quality belt
    3. Concealed by the wicking garments previously discussed
    4. Practiced with on a consistent and regular basis such that manipulation and presentation from your carry system are second nature.
    I’m working on it....lol.

Having said all of that I am at a loss why you do not buy a gen 5 Glock 19 (given the massive advantage this system has re support, gear etc.) with the Gadget/Striker Control Device, a quality in stock/quik ship kydex/injection molded holster from any number of makers, 1000 rounds of ammo and take a class where you can work out much this under the watchful eye of an instructor. You will know after a couple of days what really works and does not, particularly under less than ideal conditions, i.e. time constraints, target size limitations, the stress of "" within the class re drills etc. It might be even more informative for you to take the class with what you have right now and then you would REALLY know if what you have will really work for you.
    Although that striker control device would be the only reason I’d ever buy a Glock, I just don’t want one, or one like it. I like hammer guns and I’d rather train mastering the DA shot.

I’ve got a custom kydex pancake holster being made from Bare Holsters so hopefully that works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by corneileous; 10-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.

User Tag List