Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions/opinions and advice on getting back into concealed carry

Questions/opinions and advice on getting back into concealed carry

Hey guys, just as the title reads, I’d like to get back into concealed carry if there’s an easier more comfortable way to do it from what I was doing before. I am a truck driver so, I stay in a seated position pretty much all day long.

My first and pretty much main concealed carry pistol is a Ruger LC9S that I used with a couple inside the waistband holsters that I eventually settled on a crossbreed super tuck made out of the horse-hide leather. My original CC holster was an alien gear cloak-tuck holster that both of those worked fairly well, I just settled on the crossbreed because number one, it was a little bit thinner profile and I got tired of the belt loops on the AG coming loose on me all the time.

But after a while, I just eventually got tired of my pants being too tight and it just became too uncomfortable, that’s why I quit. Concealed all together pretty much. Well, not totally stopped, I did buy a little North American Arms 22 Magnum revolver that came with a little bitty DeSantis pocket holster but my pants pockets are a little too small and tight, even for it. And I already wear them fairly loose as it is.

Although I do have a DeSantis Nemesis sticky pocket holster for my Ruger that it, and the little revolver fit very well in my dress shorts’ front pocket so at least when it’s hot, and I have my shorts on, I could conceal pocket carry with either of those two guns with ease. It’s just that when I’m at work, I can’t really find anything that works, next to actually open carrying and I don’t wanna do that. Aside from the fact of just not believing in that method of carry in urban environments, I can’t really carry that way anyway because of some of the places I have to go to with my work.

I bought a really nice Mitch Rosen pancake holster for my little Ruger but unless it’s winter time with a long jacket, I can’t even really conceal it. I guess I could look around to see if anybody makes a fairly small outside the waistband holster for those little 22 Magnum revolvers. I don’t know how you guys feel about a 22 Magnum as an every day carry pistol but at least as far as I’m concerned, even though this gun might not be the weapon of choice if I ever decided in the back of mind to be a hero in a Walmart or convenience store but that’s not why I carry in the first place. But for up close, at least within or just a little bit outside of arms length, I sure as hell wouldn’t want to get shot with this little thing. Those little 2200 ft./s hollow points are some pretty mean little bastards. Lol.

At least I do carry when I go to work but whatever pistol I have with me at the time just stays in my backpack. I thought about getting one of those little magnetic rails that you attach somewhere on your dash or below it and it holds the pistol that way but, I don’t really know how well that would work since I do get pulled over a lot for random inspections and stuff like that. Although I’ve never really had a problem with a DOT man but that’s probably because all the times where I have got pulled over it was when I was conceal-carrying my gun on me and the cop would just most likely tell me a free i informed him that as long as I didn’t reach for mine, he promised not to reach for his...LOL.

But AnyWho, like I said, I would really like to get back into concealed carrying but I don’t really know how and what would work the best. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    Maybe a smart carry rig.
    Or look at pocket carrying the lc9.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

What kind of clothes do you typically wear? An OWB holster for an LC9 should conceal that gun wearing an untucked t-shirt or polo (or whatever).

Site Supporter
    Smartcarry and pockets are great for carrying when the belt system doesn’t work. Shoulder rigs can be a good option for driving all the time: the gun will be much more accessible while seated than anything in a pocket or Smartcarry rig. Another good driving option is an ankle rig, but just like anything else, there are drawbacks. It is very accessible while seated or in other compressed positions, but is nearly totally inaccessible while standing. Pants legs have to be long enough and loose enough, and the gun small and thin enough.

I think a Jframe or LCR with a clipdraw and a Smartcarry and an ankle rig and an Aholster are a slick answer for someone who carries only for close range, immediate self defense: the clipdraw gives you waist capability with no added holster bulk, and it will still work in the Smartcarry, ankle rig, and Aholster for the pocket (pants or jacket). One gun, four carry options depending on weather and clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    Maybe a smart carry rig.
    Or look at pocket carrying the lc9.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Never seen those smart carry holster’s before. I take it you don’t wear that like one of those belly bands, that you actually wear that about like a fanny pack?

I apologize for my lengthy opening post but I did mention that at least when I’m off work and dressed in my casual cargo shorts that I can conceal pocket carry even the Ruger with the extended 9-round magazine in it in that pocket holster of mine really well. It’s just that all of the denim jeans that I’ve seen, the front pockets are just too small to conceal carry that way. That little 22 Magnum fits in there all right but as was said by someone else, when I’m in the seated position it’s kind a hard to have to draw that pistol if I ever needed to.

Unless there are other options in jeans that have a much larger front pocket like my shorts do, that would probably work for pocket carry.

I realize that on a typical day at work, I really need two different methods of carry. That’s why I mentioned some kind of a car mount for inside the truck for my other much more powerful pistol, and then for whenever I get out of the truck to go inside a store somewhere or just at the fuel pumps filling it up then something iinside a pocket would be a lot easier accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Moylan View Post
    What kind of clothes do you typically wear? An OWB holster for an LC9 should conceal that gun wearing an untucked t-shirt or polo (or whatever).
    Just blue jeans and a T-shirt which, I could probably shop around online for the extra long T-shirts because I haven’t really seen any anywhere in any stores.

That little leather Mitch Rosen holster I mentioned is about as small as it gets for a gun like that but my shirts are just not long enough to completely cover it. I don’t even really have any jackets that are that long to cover it and besides, since I’m a hot natured person who lived the majority of my life in a much colder climate up in Colorado, I don’t typically have a coat or a jacket on all day long down here in much warmer Oklahoma. Lol. There are times where the mercury does get down far enough to where I’ll actually have a very light jacket on all day long but that don’t happen very much.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Just blue jeans and a T-shirt which, I could probably shop around online for the extra long T-shirts because I haven’t really seen any anywhere in any stores.

That little leather Mitch Rosen holster I mentioned is about as small as it gets for a gun like that but my shirts are just not long enough to completely cover it. I don’t even really have any jackets that are that long to cover it and besides, since I’m a hot natured person who lived the majority of my life in a much colder climate up in Colorado, I don’t typically have a coat or a jacket on all day long down here in much warmer Oklahoma. Lol. There are times where the mercury does get down far enough to where I’ll actually have a very light jacket on all day long but that don’t happen very much.
    Yeah, it sounds like if you decide you want to carry OWB you'll have to rethink the sizing on your shirts. I generally wear polo shirts that my wife tells me are one size too large. They easily conceal my IWB CZ P07, but back in the day when I carried a Ruger SP101 OWB, the same set-up worked just as well. I don't think the slightly too-large shirts look stupid, but then I don't really care if they do.

For a cover garment, you can consider a light weight vest like the Tropical Weight from Concealed Carry Clothiers - https://www.concealedcarry.com/produ...cealment-vest/

I'm originally from Texas and I start sweating like a whore in church when the temperature gets above 73-degrees. This is my go to cover garment, which lets me hide a full-size 1911 in an OWB holster under it, without any issues.

FWIW - I've never found anything more comfortable for driving than a shoulder holster. A Galco Classic Lite could work for you- https://www.galcogunleather.com/clas..._8_2_1057.html -

It takes some experimentation, but a shoulder holster with a vest over it works well for CC when driving. It also allows you to do the other things you might need to do, bend over to inspect tires, fill the truck, etc. Things that if you aren't careful a OWB holster might be exposed during.

Site Supporter
    IMHO,
    In broad strokes, you should consider dressing around the gun. If you are going to pocket carry the LC9, then buy pants that have pockets deep and loose enough to do that. That may require a bit a shopping. Wear a belt that is heavy enough to hold up your pants with the gun in the pocket.

When you figure out the pants/pocket configuration that works for you, buy multiple pairs of those pants/shorts. An LC9 in a quality pocket holster should conceal enough that you should not have to have a shirt tail or jacket extending over the pocket to conceal the firearm.

PS If you are comfortable providing some measurements-we could likely give you much better advice. i.e. I am 6'2'', 200ish, 44L coat, typically 34-36 in the waist, 34 inseam.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Smartcarry and pockets are great for carrying when the belt system doesn’t work. Shoulder rigs can be a good option for driving all the time: the gun will be much more accessible while seated than anything in a pocket or Smartcarry rig. Another good driving option is an ankle rig, but just like anything else, there are drawbacks. It is very accessible while seated or in other compressed positions, but is nearly totally inaccessible while standing. Pants legs have to be long enough and loose enough, and the gun small and thin enough.

I think a Jframe or LCR with a clipdraw and a Smartcarry and an ankle rig and an Aholster are a slick answer for someone who carries only for close range, immediate self defense: the clipdraw gives you waist capability with no added holster bulk, and it will still work in the Smartcarry, ankle rig, and Aholster for the pocket (pants or jacket). One gun, four carry options depending on weather and clothing.
    Now that you mention it, I’ve heard about those clipdraws. I know my options are limited sounds like but wouldn’t that be uncomfortable having a gun next to your skin all the time? But on that note, I guess I could look around for one of those holsters that looks pretty much like a typical pocket holster that doesn’t have the pocket retainer catch on the side but it has a single belt clip to where it’s about the lowest of profile holsters you could find for inside the waistband.

I do like the recommendation for an ankle holster for my little 22 Magnum at least.

User Tag List