Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Army chooses composite case ammo for testing

Army chooses composite case ammo for testing

Will composite cased ammo be the wave of the future?

https://www.truevelocityinc.com

http://soldiersystems.net/2019/09/06...-squad-weapon/

It would be better if they could get caseless to work. Eliminate the whole extraction / ejection process.

The website has a link for interested investors, which makes me say hmmm about how much of it they can produce.

I'm sure they can make this ammo shoot well. My question is how well it holds up when there is a malfunction and clearance.
    Last edited by Hambo; 09-10-2019 at 05:59 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I think caseless was one of the other ammo selected for testing.

Nope. Just advertising hype. This is one of THREE different ammo types selected for further testing for the flawed NGSW program...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    It would be better if they could get caseless to work. Eliminate the whole extraction / ejection process.
    My understanding is that dissipating heat has always been the major issue there. As long as we're using combustible propellant, that's likely to remain a difficult problem to solve, since the chamber needs to be sealed in order for the gas to push the bullet out. Nowhere for the heat to go but into the surrounding metal, whereas with a case, a significant portion of the heat stays with the brass and is physically ejected when the weapon cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Everyone and his cousin tried to make it work... it didn't. Dead end technology.

The composite cases have been around for a long time now... still with no success. The allure of having your cake and eat it (larger, more powerful round than the 5.56 with the same weight) is strong, but the cases can be subjected to a lot of abuse in .mil use.

Also, the logic behind adopting a powerful round for general use escapes me. Physics dictate that launching a heavier bullet at higher velocity (with a heavier powder charge) will increase recoil impulse, and there is only so much you can do about it.

I wonder if this program will end up where all the previous did... nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DamonL View Post
    I think caseless was one of the other ammo selected for testing.
    My mistake. Telescoping ammo is one of the other types of ammo selected for testing.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Nope. Just advertising hype. This is one of THREE different ammo types selected for further testing for the flawed NGSW program...
    But, .280 Ross was so much overmatch in WWI that the Germans just surrendered. And the battle rifle overmatch of the 1950’s-70’s basically won the Cold War. It should be self evident what we need now is a rifle in a .270 wsm equivalent, equipped with 20rd magazines for the 21st century.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 09-10-2019 at 09:12 PM.

User Tag List