Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Any owl experts on here?

Any owl experts on here?

There’s an owl hanging out in my yard. I think it’s either a great horned owl or a long eared owl. So I have a couple questions. I’ve been searching the net, but how can I tell which one it is?

Second, I think it may be sick or injured. First couple times I saw it it flew away before I got too close. It would fly to a large tree nearby and land. Yesterday morning it was sitting on the ground and only flew about 8 feet before landing on the ground again. It’s also been in the same general area (under a platform on my daughters play set) for two days now. He let me get within about 6 feet of him yesterday evening and never flew away. I’m not gonna bother it anymore unless someone thinks I should make an effort to get it out of my yard. So, should I just leave it be?

These two owl species can be distinguished by their size (Great-Horned Owls are much larger than Long-Eared Owls), and also by the shape of their ear tufts. Great-Horned Owls' ear tufts are widely spaced and face outwards, while Long-Eared Owls' tufts stand close together and upright.
    https://www.owlresearchinstitute.org/long-eared-owl

Perhaps you can listen to youtube or other audio clips of their calls?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

If it let you get within 6-feet of it, it's probably a great horned owl. Long-eared owls are much more "sketchy" about other animals.

There is probably nothing wrong with the owl at all. Great horned owls are nocturnal and when encountered during the daytime, they often move slowly in sort of a sluggish way. It's probably setting up roost in the nearby trees or maybe even in the crevice formed under your daughter's playset. Great Horned Owls have zero problem co-habitating with humans often using barns or livestock stalls as roosts. Since they often feed on rodents Great Horned Owls actually generally like it near human habitations or on the edges where human habitats meet 'natural' areas, where more rodents are likely to be found.

They will sometimes roost near or on the ground. Bear in mind nothing that is active during the day except a domesticated dog is big enough to fight with a Great Horned Owl and kill it. A cat wouldn't fuck with an owl. Since they are nocturnal their main predators (coyotes and foxes) are generally not a problem for roosting down low.

If it hoots, it's a Great Horned Owl.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-09-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Fucking love owls, wish I had owls hanging out around my place. Next place needs more owls.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    https://www.owlresearchinstitute.org/long-eared-owl

Perhaps you can listen to youtube or other audio clips of their calls?
    Alright, it’s a GHO, based on that ear tuft description. Haven’t heard a sound out of it yet.

If you’ve got kids or grandkids and are looking for an owl based book get the one titled Owls in the Family. Hilarious and lots of guns/shooting. He even uses his pet owl to bait crows so he can shoot them. Don’t read it if you are a peta fan.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    If it let you get within 6-feet of it, it's probably a great horned owl. Long-eared owls are much more "sketchy" about other animals.

There is probably nothing wrong with the owl at all. Great horned owls are nocturnal and when encountered during the daytime, they often move slowly in sort of a sluggish way. It's probably setting up roost in the nearby trees or maybe even in the crevice formed under your daughter's playset. Great Horned Owls have zero problem co-habitating with humans often using barns or livestock stalls as roosts. Since they often feed on rodents Great Horned Owls actually generally like it near human habitations or on the edges where human habitats meet 'natural' areas, where more rodents are likely to be found.

They will sometimes roost near or on the ground. Bear in mind nothing that is active during the day except a domesticated dog is big enough to fight with a Great Horned Owl and kill it. A cat wouldn't fuck with an owl. Since they are nocturnal their main predators (coyotes and foxes) are generally not a problem for roosting down low.

If it hoots, it's a Great Horned Owl.
    I’d generally prefer if he picked a place to roost beside under her play set.... I’m cool with the tree that’s on the property line. Your description makes sense for habitat. My yard is bordered by grain fields, plenty of field mice.

Name:  69281107-76B9-4F71-9A9F-19E9DE57C86A.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  88.9 KB

Here’s a pic of it

Looks like you nailed it...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Name:  69281107-76B9-4F71-9A9F-19E9DE57C86A.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  88.9 KB

Here’s a pic of it
    Damn thats a cute owl!