Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple, classic pocket folder

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Simple, classic pocket folder

I've been carrying around a simple pocket folder for awhile now. It's very convenient, but really cheap. Unattractive and low quality, worth exactly what I paid. (I have absolutely no recollection of how I came to possess it, but it's been around for years; could've been a stocking stuffer or some such.) I'd like to upgrade to something higher quality, higher performance, and just "nicer" in a classic way. Something that would go with a nice blued revolver more than a plastic popper. I don't really want to become a knife dork, or spend a whole heck of a lot of money. I'm thinking of it as a universal, always-there convenience tool rather than as a weapon.

Buck Knives The 55 Folding Pocket Knife is basically a one-for-one replacement for what I'm carrying in size and operation, but way classier. I like the traditional look. It seems to be exactly what I'd want. However, I have a vague idea that a lot of the price of Buck knives in 2019 goes to the name, rather than the technical content.

What else should I be looking at? I'm good with plus or minus some on price, more concerned about value and quality.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Paging @blues.

Nothing wrong with that Buck you have listed, in my very humble opinion.

I asked for similar advice on replacing my mini-Grip and this was suggested to me:

Attachment 40174

https://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Drag...gateway&sr=8-1

Simply put I love it. Small, lightweight (1 oz) and compact. Blade is sharper than an ungrateful teenager. I carry it every day nowadays.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-15-2019 at 04:52 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    That goes great with your Glock 19.

I'm thinking of something that would look appropriate in an "EDC pocket dump" next to a nicely patinaed K frame.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

The Spyderco Dragonfly is a good quality, lightweight, handy knife that ends up getting carried by me more than I thought it would. Oner of those things I never leave home without, even if I am carrying a larger Spyderco or Benchmade.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Opinel #6

or other similar numbers of Opinels would also be fine

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Paging @blues.

Nothing wrong with that Buck you have listed, in my very humble opinion.
    Buck does a yeoman's job with the steel and gets the most out of it. Not much to complain about there from an EDC standpoint.

(Hey, he called us "knife dorks". I don't know whether to take umbrage or just cop to it and be done with it.)

Anyway, if one wants to go retro and doesn't care about one hand opening, there are lots of nice lockbacks and slipjoints from companies like GEC. It also offers the option of stainless or carbon steel if you like patina.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I’ve got Buck Bantams in a couple sizes. They are good knives in the $25 range.

Another vote for the Spyderco Dragonfly 2; I have the ZDP-189 version.

Just showing off, but this is a knife Ken Erickson made for me several years ago. (Ken was also a gunsmith back in the day. The gun is his...his late father was a cop. The knife is mine.) Looks pretty good with a revolver.

Name:  Erickson Bone Hunter.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  82.4 KB
    Last edited by blues; 07-15-2019 at 05:54 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List