Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Covered backstraps

Covered backstraps

I've found oem and pachmayer grips easy to shoot 2-300 full house loads a session in my m66 but I'm not a fan of their looks, or them grabbing my shirt

Is there anything that helps with recoil but looks better? Would wood grips that covered the backstrap help?

Any other ideas?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I think someone on here got a set of VZs not that long ago.

https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/smi...-grips/klf-r2s

They are wrap-around. Google found this image, but I can't seem to navigate to it from the front door of the site:

Name:  VZ R2SConversionGrips.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  54.8 KB

An option from Pachmayr that might work. It may not be the perfect shape, but the wood laminate would be easy to reshape:

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...revolver-grips

I might pick up a set and use it as a starting point. Basically, think of it as a fitted set of blanks that I can carve into whatever I want. They're inexpensive enough in distribution that the time would be a bigger loss if it doesn't work out. I can see something like what I did with the Sile J frame grip happening here:
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/pachmay...6-PSTLGR-63031
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-09-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Re-worked Altamonts. Work quite well in my hand.

Name:  P1090422 w .jpg
Views: 1216
Size:  79.4 KB

Site Supporter
    Those look awesome, and look great on the gun, but at least for me they heightened the felt recoil vs reducing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post

Herrett's Jordan Trooper stocks cover the backstrap, and Herretts will make them to a drawing of your hand.

Try some Armor All on the rubber grips. Ive had a couple sets of Pachmeyrs that didnt grab at all. I wasnt sure what made them non grabby, but Ive cut some of the grabby feel and rubber smell on other stuff with Armor All.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Herrett's Jordan Trooper stocks cover the backstrap, and Herretts will make them to a drawing of your hand.
    Do you know what their turnaround time is?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Not currently, but the last time I checked (several years ago) they were running about three months. Which in custom grip-making circles is downright fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Try some Armor All on the rubber grips. Ive had a couple sets of Pachmeyrs that didnt grab at all. I wasnt sure what made them non grabby, but Ive cut some of the grabby feel and rubber smell on other stuff with Armor All.
    Thanks I'll try that.

I hesitant to buy another set of grips that I may not like.

The VZ round to square are very tempting. I love them on my 4"m19

User Tag List