Thread: Coast Guard Rescues Crew on Capsized Ship

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

Coast Guard Rescues Crew on Capsized Ship

Name:  helicopter.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  50.9 KB

Happening now. From BBC News:

The US Coastguard has rescued three of four crew members of a cargo ship that capsized off the coast of the state of Georgia on Sunday.

Captain John Reed told reporters the fourth crew member is stuck behind glass in a control room, but teams would "find a way to get him".

Rescuers drilled a hole near the ship's stern to get to the trapped crewmen.

Car carrier the Golden Ray overturned early on Sunday morning after leaving the port of Brunswick.

Authorities only managed to save 20 of the crew before fire forced them back. On Monday, they managed to make contact with the remaining four and drill into the hull.

Name:  ship.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  60.5 KB

Capt Reed said crews heard the trapped men tapping the hull, which helped them to find where they were in the ship. "I think that really motivated the team here," he added.

Rescue teams drilled a hole into the hull of the ship to get food and water to three of the men, who were trapped near the propeller shaft.

These three have since been rescued, and have been taken for emergency medical treatment. Two were able to walk, Capt Reed said, but he did not comment on the third's condition.

"They were subject to some pretty tough conditions over the last day and a half," he told a press briefing. "They looked super happy to be outside that space."
    https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1171043694922915840
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Kudos to the Coasties. Some dangerous stuff being done there.

Reminds me of a movie that scared me worse than Jaws.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Hats off to them.

“You have to go out, but you don’t have to come back.”
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I dunno if they need a bigger boat.

I can't honestly describe how much the image of that helicopter sitting on the side of this ship struck me. When I think about capsized "ships" I think about you know...30 or 40 footers maybe a hundred footer...not a 656 footer. That's two damn football fields long...

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    The last crewman has been extracted.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Site Supporter
    Being in the Army, we naturally banter quite a bit with other branches of service.

Not too long ago, someone referred to the Coast Guard as the 'Firemen of the DoD' and a bunch of Soldiers laughed. I laughed, then thought about it.
    Sure, it's easy to talk smack about firefighters and paramedics, but when you're hurt inside a burning building, they're the only motherfuckers on this planet crazy enough to jump in after you - and I feel like a lot of folks don't appreciate that enough.

The Coast Guard, meanwhile, just brings it to another level - they'll do all the same things to save your life on a sinking fucking boat. That's admirable, crazy, incredible, outstanding, and just damned awesome overall.

My hat's off to those guys.
    I'd love to buy them a beer, but I have a feeling the crew they rescued is buying the first few rounds.

My dad was a Coastie, a radioman on an Albatross flying boat out of Port Angels, WA.

I've been on the receiving end of a helping hand by the Coast guard and it was much appreciated. They really stick their necks out there working here in Alaska.(everyone survived this crash). Name:  13spill_helicopter.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  64.9 KB
    Last edited by AKDoug; 09-10-2019 at 01:15 AM.

Now that they got everybody off, the real fun begins..righting the ship, this is going to be interesting...Anybody know how deep the water is where the ship’s currently at? I suspect it’s not all that deep.. Back in the middle 80’s I worked at Kings Bay Sub Base, in Kingsland, down from Brunswick.. that was interesting, Without wasting bandwidth, while working there, I found out the meaning of the saying, “ the right way, the wrong way, and the Navy way” ....
    Last edited by ralph; 09-10-2019 at 10:59 AM.

User Tag List