Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canadian pleaded with black bear during attack: 'You don't have to do this”

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This reminds of a show I saw about bear attacks. IIRC, there is park in Scandinavia (Norway?) where they want you to check out a rifle to stroll around because of bears. Three women, hiking together, said they wouldn't because they were in tune with nature and the bears would recognize that. Well, two down and one survived by jumping off a cliff into rock scree to be badly injured.
    I have some colleagues who have worked in Greenland (or Iceland? I can't remember) anyways, there are a very strict set of rules about how every single person must carry a rifle or shotgun at all times because of polar bears. It's apparently one of the questions they ask potential volunteers, "Are you willing to learn to shoot and carry a firearm to protect yourself against polar bears?" - Anyone who hesitates is in the "no" pile.

I have some potential research projects that are based on lower Alaska, particularly on Prince of Wales Island, which isn't home to Grizzlies, but apparently has one of the largest populations of black bears on the planet. Every single person going with me out in the field will have to be able to demonstrate proficiency with a 12-gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. Bells and noise will generally keep them away, but I intend for my students to shoot back to prevent being eaten by bears.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 09-09-2019 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    You'd think he'd have recognized that that plea never even works in the movies which he apparently draws his lines from.
    What immediately came to my mind, too.

I guess that's what happens when you're overmuch influenced by movie and TV dialogue.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This reminds of a show I saw about bear attacks. IIRC, there is park in Scandinavia (Norway?) where they want you to check out a rifle to stroll around because of bears. Three women, hiking together, said they wouldn't because they were in tune with nature and the bears would recognize that. Well, two down and one survived by jumping off a cliff into rock scree to be badly injured.
    Polar bears are THE Apex predator in the Arctic.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m hearing William April’s voice in my head: “For Black Bears, the decision is only ‘go,’ or ‘no go...’"
    Its funny you mention that. I think I’m less upset by the dude being a pussy and more by the sheer arrogance of his anthropomorphic assumption that the Bear should understand him. Something about the idea deeply offends me.

Canadian: You don't have to do this.

Bear: People always say the same thing.

Canadian: What do they say?

Bear: They say, "You don't have to do this."

Canadian: You don't.

Bear: [sighs] Okay. [Bear produces a quarter and tosses it into the air, catching it and putting it on his thigh] This is the best I can do. Call it.

Canadian: I knowed you was crazy when I saw you settin' there. I knowed exactly what was in store for me.

Bear: Call it.

Canadian: No, I ain't gonna call it.

Canadian: The coin don't have no say! It's just you!

Bear: Well, I got here the same way the coin did.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I have some colleagues who have worked in Greenland (or Iceland? I can't remember) anyways, there are a very strict set of rules about how every single person must carry a rifle or shotgun at all times because of polar bears. It's apparently one of the questions they ask potential volunteers, "Are you willing to learn to shoot and carry a firearm to protect yourself against polar bears?" - Anyone who hesitates is in the "no" pile.

I have some potential research projects that are based on lower Alaska, particularly on Prince of Wales Island, which isn't home to Grizzlies, but apparently has one of the largest populations of black bears on the planet. Every single person going with me out in the field will have to be able to demonstrate proficiency with a 12-gauge shotgun loaded with slugs. Bells and noise will generally keep them away, but I intend for my students to shoot back to prevent being eaten by bears.
    I've logged months of time on POW, most of it with a fishing pole in hand and not even carrying a firearm. The lack of brown bears makes that island a paradise. I honestly don't even concern myself with black bears, especially on POW where bear encounters and problems are virtually non-existent. They are hunted so hard on that island that they have zero interest being anywhere near a human.

There have been 5 black bear fatal maulings in Alaska in the last century, none in S.E. Alaska where the majority of black bears live.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Its funny you mention that. I think I’m less upset by the dude being a pussy and more by the sheer arrogance of his anthropomorphic assumption that the Bear should understand him. Something about the idea deeply offends me.
    It offended the bear, too. Hence the educational beat down.

Last edited by Hambo; 09-10-2019 at 05:33 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

Bear: [sighs] Okay. [Bear produces a quarter and tosses it into the air, catching it and putting it on his thigh] This is the best I can do. Call it.

Canadian: I knowed you was crazy when I saw you settin' there. I knowed exactly what was in store for me.

This is full of win.

Out of topic, I'm a big rugby fan and "O Canada" has to be the most uninspiring national anthem of the world, followed closely by "Advance Australia Fair"...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post

https://youtu.be/mnoFrcUYiHo

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

User Tag List