Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian pleaded with black bear during attack: 'You don't have to do this”

I had a black bear put its paw on my shoulder while I lay on the ground one night in Yosemite Valley in 1975. Scared the livin' bejeezus outta me.

The stink of its breath as it huffed over my face is something I'll never forget.

I was holding a hunting knife in my hand at the time, thinking "Do I?" / "Don't I"...and apparently "Don't I" was the right decision as it eventually walked off and left us.

The rangers said, (the next day), that they were tracking that animal to be destroyed as it had attacked some backpackers in the area the day before.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Name:  Pooh the Ripper.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  22.0 KB

Name:  Infidel Pooh.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  53.2 KB
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    God damn, what a fucking pussy.
    Word.

Obviously pussy boy had never been to MUC, or he'd have told the bear to fuck off when it asked for the time.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

When I was leading backpacking trips in the Yosemite area, one of my kids snuck a Hershey’s bar into his sleeping bag. I woke up to the sound of a bear licking the kids face. He later told me it had really bad breath.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I had a black bear put its paw on my shoulder while I lay on the ground one night in Yosemite Valley in 1975. Scared the livin' bejeezus outta me.

The stink of its breath as it huffed over my face is something I'll never forget.

I was holding a hunting knife in my hand at the time, thinking "Do I?" / "Don't I"...and apparently "Don't I" was the right decision as it eventually walked off and left us.

The rangers said, (the next day), that they were tracking that animal to be destroyed as it had attacked some backpackers in the area the day before.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I know this doesn't apply in CA but in most nat'l parks it's now legal to carry a firearm. Thank Obama for that one.

I did a 30 mile backpack thru Olympic NP in the 80's. I had a revolver in my pack although it was illegal. Saw black bears every day. Had one in our camp one morning and my friend had one pawing at his tent one night. Lots of bears.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Just continuing the Canadian legacy

When I run into smarmy holier than thou Canadians I usually just tell them that it’s amazing how changing just two little letters can change a countries legacy

American legacy...
    We kicked imperial ass

Canadian legacy...
    We kissed imperial ass

They usually appreciate it

Site Supporter
    It's a diverse world out there and not everyone has mindset and experience or spent time cultivating such. A few different turns and I could of been that dude begging the bear for my life like I am in some CIA black site.

I remember facing off with a mountain lion back in the day, it took like 15 minutes and things changed in my favorite, when I told the mountain lion to go fuck himself and to bring it. I was pretty passive for the previous minutes and that definitely help me score a tie.

You folks are making me think I need to practice more then I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I remember facing off with a mountain lion back in the day, it took like 15 minutes and things changed in my favorite, when I told the mountain lion to go fuck himself and to bring it. I was pretty passive for the previous minutes and that definitely help me score a tie.

You folks are making me think I need to practice more then I do.

You really just never know how it's going to end up with cougars...

There's nothing civil about this war.

You really just never know how it's going to end up with cougars...

There are worse ways to die...

___

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This reminds of a show I saw about bear attacks. IIRC, there is park in Scandinavia (Norway?) where they want you to check out a rifle to stroll around because of bears. Three women, hiking together, said they wouldn't because they were in tune with nature and the bears would recognize that. Well, two down and one survived by jumping off a cliff into rock scree to be badly injured.
    Nothing says “in tune with nature” like finding your place somewhere in the middle of the food chain.

User Tag List