Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Canadian pleaded with black bear during attack: 'You don't have to do this”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    https://youtu.be/mnoFrcUYiHo

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/canadi...ck-bear-attack

Canadian man says he pleaded with black bear during attack: 'You don't have to do this'

This is a natural selection FAIL. Pathetic and the dumbest thing you will read today.

@GJM
    @JHC

If a bear was about to eat my unarmed ass, the headline would have been "American man pisses his britches, screams during bear attack."
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You really just never know how it's going to end up with cougars...

Ah geez, now I'm going to have flashbacks.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    This reminds of a show I saw about bear attacks. IIRC, there is park in Scandinavia (Norway?) where they want you to check out a rifle to stroll around because of bears.
    Scandinavian countries have very strict laws about who may or may not have a firearm in their possession. Simply "checking out" a rifle like a library book does not sound plausible. There are Arctic islands under Norwegian rule where carry of firearms in wilderness areas is recommended or even required, but even there they don't just hand out guns to just anyone. For example:

https://www.sysselmannen.no/en/Shortcuts/Firearms/

And specifically regarding loaning guns to others:

https://www.sysselmannen.no/en/Short...ut-a-firearm-/

EDIT: Although I shouldn't have to, I guess I better specifically point out that I am in no way, shape or form claiming you made up the story about the park or the three ladies. The production company and writers of that documentary you speak of, however, I'm not so sure about them...
    Last edited by That Guy; 09-11-2019 at 07:40 AM.

Site Supporter
    If the story I posted was exaggerated by producers, I have no idea. I did see and hear it. On that show, they also mentioned a tour that took folks to an island with bears. The guide had a 22 LR revolver. The bear thought the boat was a grub hub delivery. Said guide shot the bear with the 22 and it ate him. A tourist picked up the gun and shot the bear some more but it continued to eat the guide. The tourists fled to the boat and got away. If this is TV hype, I dunno.

This is from a nationally know trainer in a class. I will keep his name to myself in case it is BS. Trainer works with the USGS. Their folks have to be trained to use a shotgun as previously mentioned to deal with bears. There were three groups that segregated out:

1. Folks who would take and learn to use the gun
    2. Folks who would take the gun but said they would not use it. They took it to keep the job but Mother Nature
    3. Folks who refused to take the gun and thus didn't go out.

For Group 2, they had a presentation by a worker who said she would take the gun but not use it. So, one day she comes out of her tent and there is a polar bear. It looks like she might be a meal. She recalls that if you puff up and present yourself to the bear, it might think you are dangerous and abort the chow down. So she faces the bear and they circle each other for several hours. It finally wanders off. Now she takes the gun with her.

So for those now accepting the gun, the question arose what to do if the bear attacks a group of folks. Supposedly folks are scared to shoot as they might hit you while you are being eaten. What to do? If Ed is being devoured, run up to the critter and put your barrel in back of its shoulder blade and empty the gun into it. It was asked if this ever happened. The answer was not yet.

If this is Baloney - it is at least heroic tales at the gun class. Now, in the hill country, I stayed at a fellow's ranch. He said that we should go out at night and try to lure in a mountain lion (is this stupid to do, yes - I was quite younger). We would sit and use a rabbit in pain call to bait the beast. I took an AR with a light and RDS. The others had pump shotguns. I know that they had no training beyond the square range. I asked what would be our plan if, in the low probability case, we faced a cat and if it got among us. Pump boys said, well - we will just shoot it.

Ranch guy takes me aside and says if we do see a cat and the guys raise their guns - hit the deck. Great. Never did that again. I think he was trying to scare the pump guys in the dark. Ranch guy kept telling us to be quite. One pump guy kept yapping in loud tones (he later said he was scared).

Another time, I will discuss the possible BS tale of being locked in a bear trap (that barrel type) with just an anesthetized bear and a pair of nail clippers. Oh, the stories at gun class.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/canadi...ck-bear-attack

Canadian man says he pleaded with black bear during attack: 'You don't have to do this'

This is a natural selection FAIL. Pathetic and the dumbest thing you will read today.

@GJM
    @JHC

You're misconceiving. Canadians are polite, painfully polite. They are so polite that, when Canadian divisions where storming Normandy, they did it to the deafening battle cry of "Sorry! Sorry! Sorry!"

Site Supporter
    Went to Toronto, went to the supermarket. The Kraft slides of orange pseudo-cheese, were not named American Cheese but Canadian cheese. Went to Quebec City, took a tour of the big fortress. The guide went on and on about how Canadians repelled the evil American invasion. We had a guide who accompanied us in our car to drive us to sights. At one city square of historical interest, young kids would run up to your car and beg. The guide wave his arm out the window to chase the kids away. One grabbed his watch and ran away with it.

Went to a business meeting in Canada and we had to introduce ourselves and mention interests. For grins, I said I was a competitive shooter. Horror ensued, except from another American at the meeting. Her hobby was a sort of sky diving where you open the chute at the last possible moment. She thought shooting might be fun to try. She was also looked at askance.

Actually, I've had a good time visiting Canada and its people. Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal and Quebec City are fun to go and good food. The Canadian National Exhibition was always fun.

I've been to Canada several times for personal reasons as well as work. I've received my share of "Yank" jokes but I have to say that overall I found the folks to be great. (A few, like anywhere, were dicks.)

I thank Canada for my former girlfriend, hockey, the RCMP, QPP...all of whom (and which) have shown me a good time in one fashion or another.

BTW, I think the Canadians at Normandy were yelling "Game on!".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    With no insult to anyone, I always laugh when I hear - Oklahoma, Texas' Canada. Actually I've been to Oklahoma and it is not an apt analogy.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Went to Toronto
    *Insert "well there's your problem" meme here*
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List