Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun cleaning — best practice

Shotgun cleaning — best practice

Recently in the 1301 thread, there was some discussion of barrel leading from foster style slugs, degradation in accuracy from that, and cleaning methods. So what are folks experiencing, and what PM is being done to keep 1301/M2 class shotguns running?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

After removing barrel and securing it in a vice (with Delrin blocks), I just chuck-up a cleaning rod with bronze brush in the drill.

PS - This is for a 1187. I'd have to think it will work with any barrel brand.

I asked this a while ago in regard to poor patterns with recent FC buckshot :

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=Clean

I seldom actually clean the bore, but the 10 gauge dry brush seems to works well when I do.

All things being equal, the smoother the barrel is the better it will pattern, the less it will foul and the easier it will be to clean. A good method for getting your barrel (and chamber) smooooooth is done with this:

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Here's how I clean my shotguns after shooting slugs.

Cleaning shotguns sucks, especially after shooting slugs. I’ve had good luck with a bronze brush on a cleaning rod, attached to a hand drill.

The best solvent: Kroil. But be careful, this is a hazmat nightmare. Figure out how not to inhale the fumes, or spatter lead+solvent everywhere. I use a respirator, disposable gloves, and old clothes.

Instead of cleaning patches, I use paper towels wrapped around a special rod a friend gave me called the Barrel Wizard. Unfortunately this product is discontinued.

I swab the bore with Kroil, and leave it for ~15 min. Then I scrub with the spinning bronze bore brush, adding more Kroil a few times. Silver colored sludge pours out. I use a box to contain the splatter.

I finish up with more rolled paper towel swabs on the Wizard rod, and then swab with WeaponShield oil. I also use WS oil to clean and lubricate the action.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 09-09-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Easy peasy. I have a benelli m4. I clean most of it like an m4 carbine. The barrel, I clean with a rigid type of cleaning rod and a 12ga "tornado" brush. I ram rod it back and forth for about 1 minute, and them run a bore snake through it. Nice and sparkly clean!

-I use slip 2000 for everything but the carrier rails and cam pin and lugs. Those all get cherrybalmz or similar light grease with an EP package.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 09-09-2019 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Here's how I clean my shotguns after shooting slugs.

Cleaning shotguns sucks, especially after shooting slugs. I’ve had good luck with a bronze brush on a cleaning rod, attached to a hand drill.

The best solvent: Kroil. But be careful, this is a hazmat nightmare. Figure out how not to inhale the fumes, or spatter lead+solvent everywhere. I use a respirator, disposable gloves, and old clothes.

Instead of cleaning patches, I use paper towels wrapped around a special rod a friend gave me called the Barrel Wizard. Unfortunately this product is discontinued.

I swab the bore with Kroil, and leave it for ~15 min. Then I scrub with the spinning bronze bore brush, adding more Kroil a few times. Silver colored sludge pours out. I use a box to contain the splatter.

I finish up with more rolled paper towel swabs on the Wizard rod, and then swab with WeaponShield oil. I also use WS oil to clean and lubricate the action.
    Wow, this shotgun thorough cleaning sounds like a lot of work! Anyone quantified the accuracy degradation from leading, and whether Brenneke slugs leave as much leading as soft Foster slugs?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Wow, this shotgun thorough cleaning sounds like a lot of work! Anyone quantified the accuracy degradation from leading, and whether Brenneke slugs leave as much leading as soft Foster slugs?
    Yeah, it’s a PIA. I don’t clean it that way after every range trip, but leading can accelerate and even birdshot will start to build up after a point.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I did this to all of my shotguns
    https://allaboutshooting.com/blogs/b...shotgun-barrel
    I was really surprised at the amount of crap I pulled out of my old duck gun that I previously thought was clean. I’ve also polished the barrels too which seems to help.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    All things being equal, the smoother the barrel is the better it will pattern, the less it will foul and the easier it will be to clean. A good method for getting your barrel (and chamber) smooooooth is done with this:

Flex gone is a good product. One caution is not too round the barrel edge at the screw in chokes such as rem choke.

Another product the removes lead is the nontoxic form of flitz.

User Tag List