Thread: Clip Draw for my LCR

Clip Draw for my LCR

I asked about “Barami Hip Grip” type options for my .38 and .22 LCR’s in another thread. I was directed to the Clip Draw by @Gun Mutt (Thanks!). I didn’t want to drift that thread any further, so I thought I’d post my observations here.
    I had seen advertisements for the Clip Draw over the years but just assumed it was another gimmick type thing so many gun magazines are full of.
    I was pleasantly surprised. Plus I purchased them with a 20% discount sale.
    I purchased the "Universal Revolver Belt Clip". They make quite a variety of them apparently.

Pro:
    Very fast and easy to attach with everything needed included with the device.
    The adhesive strip seems like a very solid attachment point...time will tell.
    Unobtrusive and does not interfere with operation or manipulation.
    Holds my LCR’s with relative security in my PJ’s, workout shorts, and scrubs.
    Does not impede use of my right or left hand AHolster pocket holsters.

Con:
    Markedly smaller attachment device than the Barami Hip Grips I’ve used for the past couple of decades.
    The Clip Draw attachment “hook” is too small to fit over my normal belts as I am accustomed to my Barami grips doing. So I have to make certain the clip slips over the top of my pants when placing the LCR on my beltline.
    The Clip Draw attachment point may impede holstering with tight fitting Kydex holsters to some degree, but it fits my JMCK just fine.

I’ve not had the opportunity to shoot my LCR’s with the Clip Draws attached just yet (I will later today), but I have done a bit of dry fire with them. I find the Tamer Bantam Grips I have on my LCR’s to be more challenging to gain my “Master grip” on from the beltline (appendix). It’s doable, but a bit more tricky for me vs the Barami grips.
    As I’ll be carrying the .38 in a variety of clothing, my work scrubs in particular (going to and from work). I put the grips I originally had on the LCR back on. While larger (really on slightly more noticeable in my pocket), I find the ability to draw from the Clip held beltline much more sure and it’s faster for me.
    I don't intend for this to be a primary carry mechanism, but appreciate having options.

This is an opinion of one, so any thoughts and experiences, suggestions etc would be welcome and appreciated.

S&W 640 with Barami Hip Grip
    Name:  S&W 640 Hip Grips.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  17.8 KB

LCR .38 with Clip Draw
    Name:  LCR 38 Clipdraw no holster.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  29.0 KB

LCR in AHolster
    Name:  LCR 38 Clipdraw holster.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  32.6 KB

LCR in AIWB JMCK
    Name:  LCR Clipdraw and JMCK.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  44.1 KB

Very nice! I haven't added one yet as I'm pretty sure it won't fit in my DSG holster. Soon as I get my .327, I plan to put one on my .22 LCR for around the house duty. If you're going to stick with the OEM grips, P-F taught me that you can dremel those Hogues to better suit you.

Name:  LCR Tamer.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  77.4 KB

I like that grip modification Gun Mutt!

I only had time for about 50 rounds each through my .22 & .38 LCR's, but the Clip Draw in no way interfered with the function nor handling. I need to get to the local outdoor range and work with them a bit more. The local indoor range is nice, but they prohibit holster work unfortunately.

I wear xl gloves and still get plenty of contact on mine, I plan to go back at some point at shave a smidge off here and there.

Name:  LCR Tamer High Thumb.jpg
Views: 1267
Size:  71.6 KB

Name:  LCR Tamer Open.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  57.2 KB

After a negative experience with De-Santis grips (the screw that holds the medallion in the grips fell out and jammed up my trigger) I went back to a ClipDraw for my "walk to the trash can" J-frame.

Attachment 42471
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    After a negative experience with De-Santis grips (the screw that holds the medallion in the grips fell out and jammed up my trigger) I went back to a ClipDraw for my "walk to the trash can" J-frame.

Attachment 42471
    Nice looking gun Jody.

I would definitely prefer that particular style of clip and attachment over the short clip and adhesive strips for LCR's...but alas, it's just not a possibility.

Well, I've had mixed experiences with the Clip Draws I installed.
    The one for my .38 LCR is holding up fine, both pocket carried and waistband carried...oh yeah, and holster carried.

The one on my .22 LCR, primarily pocket carried, is "slipping" or migrating as you can see from the attached photo.
    This has in no way interfered with function, it's just annoying. Probably just my OCD side showing.
    The Clip Draw package included extra adhesive strips, so I'll probably just remove and replace the adhesive attachment point.

Like I said, no big deal, but just thought I'd post an update. I still like the concept. But I do like the longer clip portion as pictured on Jody's revolver.

Name:  22 LCR Clip Slip.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  36.0 KB

User Tag List