Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried Federal 45 ACP 230 Grain Syntech?

Anyone tried Federal 45 ACP 230 Grain Syntech?

Looking for some .45 ACP range ammo for a couple of 1911s and I see it's available in a 300 round bucket at a decent price. I've not used any of the Syntech stuff and I haven't seen anyone here post about the .45 version so I figured I'd ask. I'm not looking to use it for bullseye but reasonably accurate, reliable and clean would be helpful.

Thanks!
    Last edited by awp_101; 09-08-2019 at 09:14 PM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I haven't tried the .45 version, but the 9mm works fine. Generally seems loaded well and is intended for match shooting. Some folks reported a few issues with uneven application of the nylon coating, I found a two rounds in my last batch of 9mm that looked a little wonky, but fired fine and hit where they were supposed to. My expectation is that the nylon coating won't be perfectly uniform all the time. As long as the rounds are proper OAL they are fine in my experience.

Just noting that there are several different Syntech loads and not all are “Action Pistol” designed for minimal Power Factor. In .45 the Action Pistol load is 220 grain; the 230 will be more akin to a traditional load.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Thanks RR and JS. For the same price I’m looking at that or a 300 round can of Win WW45C. For general range fun it sounds like they’re probably pretty similar.
    Last edited by awp_101; 09-10-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks RR and JS. For the same price I’m looking at that or a 300 round can of Win WW45C. For general range fun it sounds like they’re probably pretty similar.
    Lucky Gunner has 220 Syntech Action Pistol for $180/500. I've considered buying some to see what it's like and to have around when I fall behind on reloading.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I’m going to give it a whirl. I ordered 600 rounds of 230g from Target Sports USA for $181 and free shipping. Right now I’m willing to trade money for time reloading because life, work and a lack of components. I’m planning on stocking up on components and mags in the near term.

I've used both the 150 grain 9mm TSJ Action Pistol load and the 220 grain .45 TSJ Action Pistol load. I'm a fan of the 9mm - I had one case which had some light strikes (with a Glock 34 with OEM springs), but the issue seemed confined to that lot and hasn't occurred since. I've never had a match or class malfunction with this load. It compared very favorably in terms of accuracy, recoil, and PF with the Atlanta Arms 147 grain Select load.

I want to like the 220 grain load, but I think my 1911 would need some tuning with recoil springs to run it reliably, and I'm not interested in tinkering. It is accurate and pleasant to shoot.

One thing to keep an eye out for is Federal/Vista promotions and rebates - I've snagged a fair bit of extra stuff and cash back buying the Syntech.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I want to like the 220 grain load, but I think my 1911 would need some tuning with recoil springs to run it reliably, and I'm not interested in tinkering. It is accurate and pleasant to shoot.

One thing to keep an eye out for is Federal/Vista promotions and rebates - I've snagged a fair bit of extra stuff and cash back buying the Syntech.
    Thanks for the rebate/swag link, I'll keep that in mind. Send that 220g to me, I don't mind tinkering!

If this is what you are referring to then yes, and it is excellent in my 1911. Brownells had the best case price when i was shopping for it. Reminds me of wadcutters in a model 10 revolver.
    Attachment 42514

Thanks, this is what I ordered: https://www.targetsportsusa.com/fede...-p-109090.aspx. Supposedly around 830fps.

My hands and wrists will appreciate a softer loading. They express their displeasure with recoil quicker than they used to.

User Tag List