Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: magwell holds on an AR-15 are okay for the average home defender

Let the situation dictate...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are certainly bigger things to concern oneself with. Like making sure you don't use the PMAGS without over insertion tabs, or USGI mags that don't say Colt or OKAY Industries on the bottom, or using the 64 grain Gold Dots instead of the 62.

solution for getting tired when touting a rifle.. lift weights. Carried a m4 on two deployments and always used a hands forward grip on the rail for 8+ hour patrols. I probably, at times, griped by the mag well for some reason but shooting=hand indexed on foregrip. Hand further out controls recoil and allows more control of the gun during transitions.
    Last edited by breakingtime91; 09-08-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Will holding the magwell get you killed? Not likely. Will holding a pistol with a revolver grip get a shooter killed? Not likely but that’s not a reason to do it in my opinion. The reason to hold a rifle further out is simple body mechanics. You have more control and can drive the gun better. Why would a shooter choose to be less stable?

Is this a troll post?

Ultimately, as a community, we should care about what we are spreading amongst ourselves as far as tactics, techniques etc.

As a freedom loving American, I don't give a shit what you do with your rifle.

Once I'm ASKED about said subject, refer to my first statement. Holding a rifle by the magwell is inferior to other available techniques and this has been proven time and again using proven performance metrics/standards. Does that matter in the skreets? Shrug, I would say that as someone that carries a gun for a living, I very much prefer to train in the most efficient way possible. I don't have time for Seal Team 3.14 Mossad fizzly bubbelech bullshit.

Site Supporter
    I won the modified Navy Qual “contest” in a 3 day Pat Rogers class in 2008 using a magwell hold against 15+ other folks, most of whom were quite squared away.

It worked fine though I have moved to a Vfg since.

I suspect that I would be just fine in my house tonight using the magwell hold in terms of hitting what I was aiming at.

FWIW, I also think somebody using a full on weaver circa 1988 who is otherwise squared away would be just fine in their home or on the street.
    YMMV

And the best pistol shooter in the world puts his index finger on the trigger guard. As I get the older the more I wonder...
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    There are certainly bigger things to concern oneself with. Like making sure you don't use the PMAGS without over insertion tabs, or USGI mags that don't say Colt or OKAY Industries on the bottom, or using the 64 grain Gold Dots instead of the 62.
    What’s wrong with the 62?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Guys, can we talk for a moment about the "recoil" from an AR15? I'm more likely to push the muzzle around my own-self than have recoil as a factor when shooting a 5.56 gun. Hell, the most annoying part of shooting an AR15 has more to do with hearing and feeling the stupid buffer move in the tube than actual recoil from shooting.

I don't think Jay is trolling you guys (well maybe a little). But folks so far have mentioned recoil and control of the rifle during weapon transitions. Are these things that the average home defender needs to be worried about?

I actually don't like AFGs or VFGs on my AR, because I've found they are more likely to get hung up on my bathrobe.

I use an extended "c-grip" on my rifle, because I have a front-sight-tower light mount and use a *gasp* pistol light mounted up there...I know. Sometimes, when I change mags on the range, I hit the release and end up resting my support hand on the magwell.

I know, I'm basically playing with fire and gonna get kilt in the street.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I actually don't like AFGs or VFGs on my AR, because I've found they are more likely to get hung up on my bathrobe.
    Everyone knows you're supposed to fight naked to distract the bad guys. Next you're going to tell me you don't have a brass deflector on your AR. #Kiltindastreetz
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List