Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seventies Single Stack (Germ)Mania: Walther P5 & Sig P6

Site Supporter

Seventies Single Stack (Germ)Mania: Walther P5 & Sig P6

After not shooting a single round of anything since January, I was at the point where I was thinking about dropping $500 for 1000 rounds of 9mm.

Then I saw a P5 on Armslist.

Negotiated a semi-decent price and picked it up. I've always wanted a P5 and I figure the price on these things is only gonna go up--ammo will come down. I mean, that's a solid justification for a flagrant impulse buy, right?

It's dated 1984 with a crossed-out "BMI" marking (which is the German Ministry of the Interior, I think). It's in good shape overall, though it does have the requisite "furrow" in the feed ramp finish.

Name:  P5.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  42.0 KB
    Name:  Ramp.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  28.3 KB

I scrounged up 100 rounds of UMC and took it to the range today--along with its bitter rival, the Sig P6. Both guns competed against each other in the 1970s to earn German police contracts (along with the HK P7--which I'm confident I'll never own). So, of course, I figured it warranted a vague, unscientific, completely subjective comparison.

Here goes...

Name:  P5 P6.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  48.2 KB

I put 80-some rounds through the P5. Love the way it shot. Once I got my grip and my rhythm dialed in, it was fairly easy to keep shots at the same POI at 10 yards--even when shooting fairly fast. I also ran a mag through it at 25 yards, and mostly kept them in the head (except two on the upper neck). That's honestly decent for me, at 25y. Especially with stock bar-dot sights. The only issue I had was one FTFeed when loading from slide lock; the round actually nosed-up going into the chamber. No stoppages while shooting or when slingshoting. So, the wear on the feed ramp didn't seem to affect function... I tend to think the slide lock issue was probably due to weak recoil springs; didn't seem to be getting a lot of "oomph" from slide lock. I Also used one of the ProMag mags that came with the gun... it worked fine. Locked back.

Name:  P5 Target.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  24.2 KB

The P5's ergos suit me well. Perhaps better than the P6. The grip seemed to be a bit more hand-filling and the trigger reach was just right. The SA "wall" was easy find between shots and the gun responded well to a very firm, high grip. I felt completely in control of the pistol and it still felt accurate when I was shooting somewhat rapidly. Seems to have a bit less muzzle rise than the P6--but also a slightly sharper recoil impulse overall (the P5 is a bit lighter than the P6). The DA is okay. It's fairly heavy and it stacks... but... there's an overtravel stop. So the sights don't fishtail, even when you're mashing through the last bit of stacked trigger travel. I found it very useable and it shot to POA.

As for the P6... I've owned two, so I've shot them a fair amount. The one I've got now is a BKA-marked example, '82 dated--that's the Bundeskriminalamt, which is more or less the German equivalent of the FBI. Which is cool. I found the gun languishing in my LGS for $299 a few years back. It had some minor scuffs on the slide, but it literally didn't seem like it had been shot. It's still tight as a drum and there's hardly any wear on the rails.

Name:  p6.jpg
Views: 749
Size:  32.8 KB

Anyway...

I tend to think the P6 is just as accurate as the P5; I put the first few rounds through same damn hole. Though, for me, shots tend to slip low-left more easily. I think that has a lot to do with the thinness of the grip. I have Hogue G10s on this one (which I honestly don't love--too thin, no contour) but I replaced the mainspring housing with the new-style setup (HUGE improvement to the DA pull) so the stock grips don't fit. Had to be a little more conscious with my grip pressure... and everything, really... to get shots to stay exactly on my POA. But I can't say I shot it poorly. Especially after 5 months. It's a very nice shooting gun--especially now that the DA pull is actually manageable.

Name:  Sig Target.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  23.2 KB

Overall, the P6 feels like a "tougher" piece of machinery. Maybe that's just because it's a little heavier and has a little less recoil. But the frame's finish, and overall construction, seems more robust. Plus, the Sig has a steel feed ramp. After 50,000 rounds... I'd put my money on the Sig. Not that I'll put half that through either of these. But, I feel like the P5 is a more intuitive shooter; like, "shootability" was more of a design consideration. The trigger reach is better. There's less muzzle rise. Less overtravel. It's a great shooting gun.

Anyway...

Just thought was kinda fun and interesting. I dig classic pistols and I know others here do too.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-29-2021 at 04:27 PM.

P-5 prices have gone into the stupid zone in the last 5 years. I would say they're more collectors than shooters now. Same for the P-88.

I like single stack DA/SA 9's and have several. About the only ones I can afford now are P-239's and even those are about to enter the stupid zone.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

You definitely need to keep an eye out for a P7. Now there is a gun that is easy to shoot. It's fixed barrel, super low-slung slide and really excellent (unbelievable for the time) single action trigger really makes it fast and easy to shoot. The prices have obviously gotten obnoxious out there. Try and find one with finish issues. I was able to pick up a P7M13 with slide rust for a very good price (compared to the market, not compared to sane gun prices). If you can find a P7 with the euro mag release and an ugly finish it is well worth it. Let me tell you, if someone could shut down &#)@&@ gun broker we could get prices back down to reality.

E95C970C-E24E-492D-BF22-F45C9D7E04FD by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 05-29-2021 at 04:56 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    P-5 prices have gone into the stupid zone in the last 5 years. I would say they're more collectors than shooters now. Same for the P-88.

I like single stack DA/SA 9's and have several. About the only ones I can afford now are P-239's and even those are about to enter the stupid zone.
    I kinda thought my opportunity for a P5 had come and gone. I was too broke when they were 6-700... and now I just can’t justify $1000+. Figured I’d jump on this one.

I love the P239. It’s very totable and shoots like a service pistol. I kind of invested in the 239 platform, last year—I’ve got two in 9mm, one in .357 and a decent pile of mags. I’m glad I did, because the prices are continuing to climb.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-29-2021 at 05:06 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    You definitely need to keep an eye out for a P7. Now there is a gun that is easy to shoot. It's fixed barrel, super low-slung slide and really excellent (unbelievable for the time) single action trigger really makes it fast and easy to shoot. The prices have obviously gotten obnoxious out there. Try and find one with finish issues. I was able to pick up a P7M13 with slide rust for a very good price (compared to the market, not compared to sane gun prices). If you can find a P7 with the euro mag release and an ugly finish it is well worth it. Let me tell you, if someone could shut down &#)@&@ gun broker we could get prices back down to reality.

E95C970C-E24E-492D-BF22-F45C9D7E04FD by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Ooh. Beautiful collection. Or should I say... Sehr schoen!

Yeah, I’d love to have a P7. I can imagine how well they shoot; fixed-barrel blowbacks have always been very accurate for me. But I tell ya... that P5 Compact really speaks to me. The proportions just work a little better for me, with shorter slide and straighter grip. Those things have gotten asinine-ly expensive, though.

Nice score. They cost what they cost. Sometimes you have to decide, "Which do I want more, the gun or the money?"

Back in the 80's I always thought the P5 was sexy, thanks for reminding me it still is.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I kinda thought my opportunity for a P5 had come and gone. I was too broke when they were 6-700... and now I just can’t justify $1000+. Figured I’d jump on this one.

I love the P239. It’s very totable and shoots like a service pistol. I kind of invested in the 239 platform, last year—I’ve got two in 9mm, one in .357 and a decent pile of mags. I’m glad I did, because the prices are continuing to climb.
    I have two (9mm), one I purchased from someone here on P-F recently. The other I paid about 500 for about 5 years ago. The more I shot it the more I realized I needed another one before they too went off into the realm of great discontinued pistols. Dated but still relevant. Looks like people bought all of the service packs already and are scalping those on ebay.

I'm always looking for a cheap Walther 9x18 PP Super. Ammo is nearly non existent. I think Fiocchi is the only one who does a run of it once a year. People load it so it isn't exactly a dead cartridge.
    Last edited by Borderland; 05-29-2021 at 07:01 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    There is so much German here.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Thank you for sharing. The Walther P5 is a very cool handgun.

For a while there, the P6 was a great deal. I had picked one up, and at some point given it to my father.
    He gave it back to me last year, I replaced all the springs and put some better middle-age-eyes sights on it.
    Mine's from '81, I believe.
    It doesn't really like to feed HP's, but will digest any ball ammo, and even feed empty cases.
    Being lefty, I always thought that the P5 would be a great choice because of the port direction. My father had friends that were on NJSP years ago, and I got to shoot one of their HKs. Interesting gun.
    Name:  20200815_114843.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  40.0 KB
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

User Tag List