Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RFI: Youth Sized Rimfire Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    You do you.

Reaching? The thread is about a rifle to teach a kid with so they can shoot Appleseed.

You do you.
    Appleseed wasn't mentioned in the opening post and it seemed like a secondary consideration when it was, that's why I said I wouldn't let the rules of Appleseed be a factor in the decision. I never said anything about them being Fudds or having Fudd rules. If you don't like it, piss off. There's an ignore button I encourage you to take advantage of.

Site Supporter
    I started my oldest boy with a daisy red Ryder BB gun shooting tin cans in the back yard. He quickly moved to a cricket .22LR. Then he started shooting my 77/22 .22LR from the bench. I never told him about recoil. I worked on proper technique and trigger control. Dime/washer dry fire. By the time he was 12 I moved him to a model 70 compact in .308. With a Leupold 2.5 scope. He center punched a whitetail doe that year with federal .308 reduced recoil loads. Today I would start with a Ruger compact American rimfire .22LR

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Appleseed wasn't mentioned in the opening post and it seemed like a secondary consideration when it was, that's why I said I wouldn't let the rules of Appleseed be a factor in the decision. I never said anything about them being Fudds or having Fudd rules. If you don't like it, piss off. There's an ignore button I encourage you to take advantage of.
    Upon review, I now see that it was in post #5 (but, like you, I'd missed the 'Appleseed' detail too).

Site Supporter
    Can anyone suggest a good rule of thumb for approximate desirable length of pull based on the height of the shooter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I went all in and bought for the kid (7 at the time) a Henry Youth repeating rifle, back in January of 2015. Bought an extra stock and had it cut and fitted to his then current size. He just recently "graduated" to the original length youth stock. If he manages NOT to grow too fast, his next milestone will be hopefully his 16th birthday when i'll "gift" him the custom Henry Golden Boy I have for him as well. If not, I'll probably pick up a full size stock and put it on the youth rifle, until said milestone.

Kids grow too damn fast.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

That is definitely that problem with anything youth, they never stop growing so you really need something that is capable of growing/adapting with them or you'll end up needing a dozen size changes along the way to have a proper fit. Or, you just always end up with a rifle that is suboptimal for fit, which is workable obviously but not ideal.

When I started my oldest daughter shooting, I picked up a little pink Cricket single shot .22.

She really struggled and was not enjoying it much at all. She was a cross dominant shooter for starters, and the concept of focusing on the front sight, while letting everything else be blurry was too much for a 5 year old.

I fixed that by having my smith attach a piece of weaver rail to the top, so I could put an old Tasco Red dot on the rifle.

Instant success!

After that she would sit in one spot and shoot until she ran out of ammo or time. Sometimes keeping a child's interest and the fun factor is more important than the old "You must learn irons first" philosophy.

The Cricket is easy enough to manipulate, but I could not recommend one for a person who wants to graduate to something that they will use at Appleseed.

One other suggestion. Tikka now makes a T1 rimfire. It is very light, insanely accurate, and magazines hold 10 rounds. My dad picked one up and it has to be the single nicest out of the box rimfire I have shot in years. I may actually sell my CZ 452 and pick up one of these eventually.

They can be put in various chassis, if you want to go that route, for length of pull concerns and growing shooters. Plus the factory stock allows you to use stock spacers.

If you decide on a bolt, rather than an auto, I would take a serious look at the Tikka, as it is the nicest rimfire I have seen on the market in years, and at a reasonable price.

User Tag List