Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Youth Sized Rimfire Rifle

Site Supporter
    CZ Scout is good. Marlin 15YN is good. 10/22 is the Appleseed standard rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I've heard that Appleseed is easier shot with a semi auto.
    It's easier to score well (specifically, to move through a timed stage quickly) on the AQT with a semi. Neither will hold you back when it comes to developing the fundamentals of firing an accurate shot.

I have a savage rascal. I cannot endorse it; light primer strikes even after being sent back to savage. Google leads me to believe this is not an uncommon problem.

I've been going through the same dilemma for my kid, though she's not quite old or strong enough to hold a rifle.

I've settled on the new CZ 457, assuming I can find one. It seems that they imported a batch of them and there haven't been anymore.

I'm planning to add a Techsights aperture for some irons training. I can upgrade to a 10/22 with an optic later but want to start on a bolt gun with aperture iron sights.

It's 2019. The M&P 15-22 is the new Ruger 10/22. That's what I started both my kids on because let's face it, the AR15 is America's rifle and the skills will translate when they're older and I hand them the 6920's that I put aside for them. I know Appleseed doesn't allow them or at least they didn't in the past but I wouldn't let that stop me from picking it over a bolt action or other semi auto .22lr.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    CZ Scout is good. Marlin 15YN is good. 10/22 is the Appleseed standard rifle.
    I picked up the Marlin for the young 'uns to learn on when I figured out it could be had for about 60 percent less than a CZ. They're out of production, but come along on the GB train often enough. Unlike the Rascal and its ilk, it's the same action and trigger as the regular Marlin rimfire. Just no option to make it magazine-fed.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I picked up the Marlin for the young 'uns to learn on when I figured out it could be had for about 60 percent less than a CZ. They're out of production, but come along on the GB train often enough. Unlike the Rascal and its ilk, it's the same action and trigger as the regular Marlin rimfire. Just no option to make it magazine-fed.
    That’s why we have one. My daughter has graduated to my 10/22, but I still love to take that little Marlin out after rabbits. Tiny, light, but accurate and easy.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    It's 2019. The M&P 15-22 is the new Ruger 10/22. That's what I started both my kids on because let's face it, the AR15 is America's rifle and the skills will translate when they're older and I hand them the 6920's that I put aside for them. I know Appleseed doesn't allow them or at least they didn't in the past but I wouldn't let that stop me from picking it over a bolt action or other semi auto .22lr.
    Appleseed doesn’t allow the M&P 15-22 because of a safety issue experienced with them, not because they are FUDDS. The whole Appleseed project was started to encourage folks to learn to shoot rifles in ways that might be helpful to know if you ever had to have a fight with a rifle in hand. You can shoot it with any safe rifle. They just don’t consider a 15-22 safe. If S&W has addressed the issue and it’s now safer to use, that’s great.

I’ve seen folks shoot Appleseed with rimfires and centerfires, single shots and tube feds and fixed magazines and box magazines, and every action type. The first time I passed the rifleman test, I shot it with a bolt action rimfire. The lady o the next lane was using a 5.56 AR. Someone else was using a Garand. It’s supposed to be about shooting your rifle, not about the actual rifle.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I mulled this very question for a while before starting my older boy on a rimfire. I liked the concept of the adjustable stock on the AR type rifles and was thinking about the s&w22 or using my sig522. I have a dedicated .22 upper on an ar build but that was too heavy. Additionally because of where I live I didn’t like the optics of teaching him on a military looking rifle for the inevitable times he mentions goin shooting to others. In the end I ended up building a Liberty Training Rifle out of a 1022 I had and purchasing a youth stock for it. So far it has worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Appleseed doesn’t allow the M&P 15-22 because of a safety issue experienced with them, not because they are FUDDS. The whole Appleseed project was started to encourage folks to learn to shoot rifles in ways that might be helpful to know if you ever had to have a fight with a rifle in hand. You can shoot it with any safe rifle. They just don’t consider a 15-22 safe. If S&W has addressed the issue and it’s now safer to use, that’s great.

I’ve seen folks shoot Appleseed with rimfires and centerfires, single shots and tube feds and fixed magazines and box magazines, and every action type. The first time I passed the rifleman test, I shot it with a bolt action rimfire. The lady o the next lane was using a 5.56 AR. Someone else was using a Garand. It’s supposed to be about shooting your rifle, not about the actual rifle.
    I know why they banned them and I never said they were Fudds. Stop reaching.

I said I wouldn't let Appleseed rules dictate what rifle I bought for my kids to learn on.

User Tag List