Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Youth Sized Rimfire Rifle

RFI: Youth Sized Rimfire Rifle

This will be something that could hopefully be used by a child as young as six years old. I am thinking bolt action may be the best choice in this application, although semi-auto can work to the same end just by loading only one round per magazine. Thanks in advance!

Savage Rascal if you want something temporary...
    CZ Scout if you want something that’d grow with the kiddo.
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-scout/
    Last edited by jandbj; 09-08-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Site Supporter
    If starting a six year old kid is really important, then weight should be a major consideration. There are single shot bolt actions that weigh as little as three pounds. I think the CZ weighs more like 5 pounds. The CZ is obviously a much nicer offering, though.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ecision-rifle/
    https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc....ecision-rifle/
    Just saw this in the LGS. Trigger was good too. I got mine a discontinued Anschutz youth but the trigger on that was too heavy. Eventually got a S&W 15-22 but i recall at one time they werent being allowed at Appleseed.
    Last edited by UNK; 09-08-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Yeah, weight will definitely be a factor... did not consider that yet. In case anybody is wondering, it will be used at an Appleseed event sometime in the near future for proper instruction.

I bought a CZ 455 scout for my son and it’s been perfect in every way.

A couple of options, some that the child will not outgrow. I went through this when my daughter started shooting at the age of nine. I thought about the Chipmunk, a Marlin 39AS, a T/C Contender, and a few others. The factors that I considered were safety, fun, can be modified to still fit as she gets older, and ability to control. She liked the Marlin 39AS with the Williams peep rear but it was much too heavy for offhand shooting.

I finally settled on a Tactical Solutions X-Ring rifle that was anodized pink and paired it with a pink Hogue stock and a Leupold M8-8X because it is extremely light (under five pounds with the scope). A Kidd trigger made the pull suitable for a child (and adult). The pink made it uniquely hers and the scope allowed her to see and hit the target. By loading the magazine and standing behind her, I could encourage and enforce safe handling. For a younger child, a Ruger factory stock cut down may be a better choice since stock swaps are easy on the 10/22 pattern rifles. The LOP on the Hogue stocks is short enough for most, and the rifle's light weight makes for easy handling for shorter stature people. I have one with the OD green anodized finish and Hogue stock that is setup the same way.

It was so successful, I built another one for my wife. It is pictured prior to the scope being added.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by farscott; 09-08-2019 at 06:34 PM.

I've purchased two of the CZ scouts. Nice rifles. I shoot an Anschutz 54 action and my wife has a Sako Finnfire. The little CZs are GTG.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay1 View Post
    I've purchased two of the CZ scouts. Nice rifles. The little CZs are GTG.
    Except that finding them can be problematic, literally could not find a single one NIB in stock at any retailers. CZ imports their stuff in batches so who knows when the next one will show up stateside, suppose a call to CZ might answer that. The weight is high on them however, as mentioned it would be too much for anything offhand... unless there is lighter weight stocks to be had aftermarket.

Name:  IMG_2352.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  50.7 KB

I bought a cheap used single shot and cut the stock off short enough for kids.

If I was to start over with little kids I would get a 10-22 and buy a cheap extra stock and cut one down short enough for small kids. With the hundreds or even thousands of people who buy a new 10-22 and take the stock off to add a custom stock, there are a bunch of cheap ones out there.

I've heard that Appleseed is easier shot with a semi auto.

User Tag List