Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P9 2.0 CORE

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    I did and point of aim/point of impact is perfect for me at 25yds. I think the rear is a .365 but I left the package at work and I’d want to check before I said for sure. The plain black ones are not listed on the web page but they will do them as a custom order.
    I have struggled with the same problem.
    I called Smith and spoke to one of the tech guys regarding this issue:
    They are supposed to be POA/POI at 5 yards or so they will all shoot 6" high or so at 25 yards. It was never their intention for the irons to be co-witness with the dot and they are supposed to be low in the window and used as "emergency style sights". S&W only makes (1) standard rear sight height (.405) for the CORE and (2) front sight heights (the standard being .320), the other front sight is a shorter one for when you are shooting LOW. The only way to get co-witness sights for the CORE is to order a set from Dawson.

FYI for most CORE models, the proper sight height from Dawson is .360, however their fixed "co-witness carry" comes with the same height as the factory S&W CORE (.320) which will lead to the same problem, so you will have to order each sight separately.
    You can also opt to order the set and call them and ask them to replace the front with the proper height via their guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    I have struggled with the same problem.
    I called Smith and spoke to one of the tech guys regarding this issue:
    They are supposed to be POA/POI at 5 yards or so they will all shoot 6" high or so at 25 yards. It was never their intention for the irons to be co-witness with the dot and they are supposed to be low in the window and used as "emergency style sights". S&W only makes (1) standard rear sight height (.405) for the CORE and (2) front sight heights (the standard being .320), the other front sight is a shorter one for when you are shooting LOW. The only way to get co-witness sights for the CORE is to order a set from Dawson.

FYI for most CORE models, the proper sight height from Dawson is .360, however their fixed "co-witness carry" comes with the same height as the factory S&W CORE (.320) which will lead to the same problem, so you will have to order each sight separately.
    You can also opt to order the set and call them and ask them to replace the front with the proper height via their guarantee.
    I wanted to change the rear sight for a couple reasons. First, I don’t like the pronounced white-ringed night sights in concert with the pistol mounted optic (PMO). It’s too busy for me. The all-black rear solved that. I don’t super mind the tritium front, so I didn’t mind keeping it. Further, changing the front sight for POA/POI would result in a taller front sight, which is already tall, and I didn’t want that, so I went for a shorter rear which put the sights lower in the PMO window overall. I agree with S&W that we don’t want iron sights to co-witness, but only to be just visible in the bottom of the optic window, and some of this will be personal preference. For me I like ‘em pretty darn low, especially since I run the RMR which is a smaller window than other PMOs.

Personally, I would have preferred S&W just use white dots or, in my perfect world a plain black rear and single white dot front, because it would have been less expensive with no real performance loss. On top of it, while I’m a gigantic fan of the 2.0, the “on at 5yds” argument is bullshit. I give way less poops over a fraction of an inch at 5 yards than I do over several inches at 25 - and feet at further distances. At 5 yards I really don’t even need the sights excepting a very precise shot - Where I can easily account for any sight-over-bore issue - if it even matters.

Most people who buy COREs won’t even care because they’re going to put an optic on there and assume they’ll never need the BUIS, but I’m picky and it drives me nuts when sights aren’t properly regulated. I want to know a miss is my fault and not the gun’s. Thankfully there’s Dawson.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/performance-center

They're on the web site now, so hopefully they'll be shipping soon.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

RMR Mounting

We will soon be getting the 2.0 CORE and Trijicon RMR. I am looking for advice on the best way to mount the RMR to the gun. This will be for hard use SWAT guys. I know many Glock MOS/RMR users red loctite the plate to the gun and blue loctite the RMR to the plate. Is this a good idea with S&W setup? Also, do the S&W plates have adequate thread engagement or is an aftermarket plate adviseable? My only experience has been with the Glock system and I am looking for help with the S&W/RMR setup. Thanks

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrock1 View Post
    We will soon be getting the 2.0 CORE and Trijicon RMR. I am looking for advice on the best way to mount the RMR to the gun. This will be for hard use SWAT guys. I know many Glock MOS/RMR users red loctite the plate to the gun and blue loctite the RMR to the plate. Is this a good idea with S&W setup? Also, do the S&W plates have adequate thread engagement or is an aftermarket plate adviseable? My only experience has been with the Glock system and I am looking for help with the S&W/RMR setup. Thanks
    Really, really interested in follow up about how that setup ends up working for your agency. That’s the exact setup I want for my first optics pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

With the CORE the plate and optic are secured by the same two screws. I used the sealing plate from Trijicon on my two COREs and the screws supplied with the RMR. I did not add loctite and used a Wheeler Fatwrench to tighten to around 12-14 inch pounds. I feel like I added a VERY little bit of loctite when I switched the optics (It took a while to decide which size dot I would use for carry).

Our unit, which has fired hundreds of thousands of rounds through optic-equipped pistols, as well as some members of our Special Enforcement Bureau (SWAT) have all had good results with that basic installation method.

The CORE system only uses two screws. The plate essentially sits between the slide and RMR. The plate has holes that the RMR screws just pass through to get to the threads in the slide. Now, there are anchoring studs that make the system solid so I believe it's an adequate setup. Between my two CORES I've only got around 3500-4000 rounds but I've had no issues using blue loctite on the screws. I'm sure there are members here with far more rounds on the system so maybe they'll give you more info. Good luck, I envy your guys. I'd love to carry a RDS on duty.

I actually got to handle one of the guns today. I was surprised to learn that only two screws secure the RMR and plate to the gun. This seems like less failure points than the Glock MOS system. Should be getting them issued next week. I will advise when I get mine put together.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Unity Tactical is working on a Gen 2 ATOM mounting system. Maybe it will be ready in January for SHOT. From what I've heard it will be available for various platforms not just Glock.
    This would make me very happy; however, given that they produced a M&P version but never went public with it I shan't be hopeful.

@SoCalDep - are Randy et al using CORE or did they have slides milled?

Quote Originally Posted by Erick Gelhaus View Post
    This would make me very happy; however, given that they produced a M&P version but never went public with it I shan't be hopeful.

@SoCalDep - are Randy et al using CORE or did they have slides milled?
    Both. Several of us had slides milled. We proposed milling as an option. At first it was all good but then the waters got muddy and now -though I feel milling is an excellent if not ideal duty option, we will not be allowing it ... until I can convince people.

Randy, another instructor, and I all went through Primary Machine. Another instructor had his done by ATEi. All have worked great. I traded my milled 2.0 with DPP when the order for factory-only came down.

When the COREs came out we found a dealer and ordered a bunch. I got two that have RMRs. Randy’s has an ACRO. I have another on order that will probably get an ACRO and I’m thinking I’m gonna save and wait for the hopefully soon released 5” CORE. We have had more issues with DPPs than other optics but guys still swear by them. One of our guys has like 40,000 rounds through one. The shake awake feature died a few thousand rounds ago so when it turns off he has to manually turn it back on.

Monday is gonna be a big day... I’m blowing the dust off my tie and polishing the badge to go talk to people who make decisions.

User Tag List